Padawan asks…Something I’ve been curious about lately is the risk of toluene in Seche Vite top coat, and I was wondering if you could elaborate on it…At what concentrations/volumes does toluene become toxic? Could the amount in SV be dangerous? Is it true toluene cannot be absorbed through the skin as it is non-polar?
1. Most of the data on Toluene has been conducted on inhalation exposure, as this had been the major exposure route (was used extensively as a solvent in the printing industry for many years). Authorities most countries around the world have set an atmospheric concentration of 100ppm. This limit is based on very long exposures in the work place. Safety limits are set by finding the highest level no effect is seen and then applying a safety factor to this.
2. If the product is not used correctly or abused, there certainly could be enough in there to present a hazard. Don’t go around sniffing the stuff.
3. Toluene can be absorbed through the skin, but very very slowly slowly. Absorption through the nails would be even lower, probably negligable.
The Beauty Brains bottom line
If you use this product occasionally and use it in a well ventilated area, it appears unlikely that it poses much of a health hazard. If you’re are constantly exposed to high concentrations of its fumes, that’s a different story. Thanks to Forum member Alchemist for the analysis!
Image credit: http://images.cdn.fotopedia.com/flickr-4110419503-hd.jpg