Why do I shed more hairs when I shampoo?

LindyGirl asks…I wash my hair on a daily basis. I only use shampoo every third day. All other days I wash with a no silicone conditioner. I have noticed that on days when I use shampoo I seem to shed a lot more. My hairdresser says he is stumped. Any ideas?

The Beauty Brains respond

LG’s question comes to as through our recently revamped Forum which crashed along with the rest of the website a few weeks ago. We asked a few of our loyal fans to “test drive” the Forum by posting a question. As luck would have it,  after Lindy and a few others asked their questions, the data base became corrupted before we could answer them. Hence today’s blog post. Who would have thought that restoring the Beauty Brains site would be such a pain!

By the way if you want to help, join our Forum now and ask your own questions. (I swear, it really works this time.)  And now on to Lindy’s answer…

Theoretically this pattern of hair loss makes sense. Everyday you have loose hairs (the ones that have stopped growing and are being pushed out by new hairs.) When you “wash” with conditioner those loose hairs are sliding around because the conditioner is more lubricious. When, after a couple of days of that slipperiness, you wash with shampoo those loose hairs are exposed to more friction because shampoo is much less conditioning. The friction pulls out the loose hairs and voila – it seems like you shed more on shampoo days.

Has anyone else out there noticed this problem? Leave a comment and share your experience with the rest of the Beauty Brains community.

• lindygirl1960 December 9, 2013, 10:10 am

Thanks for confirming what I suspected was true!

• tlk December 9, 2013, 10:39 am

Yes I have noticed this also. I am so sad that the website crashed and all the wonderful information was lost. I count on the beauty brains and have for years to get the best information on all my beauty products. I am glad that you guys didn’t give up and are continuing the site we all depend on.

• eastvillagesiren December 9, 2013, 1:38 pm

It makes sense to me. Let’s just hope this doesn’t get sent out into the Internet and twisted into something like “shampoo causes hair loss” or “SLS causes hair loss.”

To me, this seems like it’s a good idea to lightly wash my hair everyday…to get the loose hairs out, and pave the way for new growth ; )

• admin December 10, 2013, 12:17 am

The Internet would never do that…would it?

• Sarah F. January 6, 2014, 10:06 pm

I think I’m going no poo. Shampoo causes hair loss, right?

• Perry Romanowski January 7, 2014, 6:48 am

No. Shampoo does not cause hair loss.

• BraidhairExtensions January 7, 2014, 7:18 am

If you are loosing hair using shampoo on every use, it’s best to stop using it. Use coconut oil or Almond oil a night before you wash your hair again, but this time using a “Reetha” based herbal shampoo . Avoid all other applications for some time.

Make sure you wash your hair with mineral water or soft water or (for better understanding-“Drinking water”)

In some areas specially bay side areas you find hard water. Hard water not only tangles your hair but you will loose considerable amount of hair each time you wash your hair. However you must continue to use coconut oil or Almond oil before you go to sleep specially on weekends to make your hair much more stronger at least for few more weeks..

• ilocklock February 11, 2014, 12:18 am

Could you please kindly comment on the “noPoo” practice. What would be the optimal days that we wash our hair with only water? When we are not using conditioner during “noPoo” days, do you recommend coconut oil or almond oil as a “leave-in” conditioner?