Is chemical free a real thing? The Beauty Brains Show episode 34

It’s time for another game of Beauty Science or Bullsh*t! Plus, we prattle on about six new beauty science news stories.

Click below to play Episode 34 or click “download” to save the MP3 file to your computer.

Show notes

Beauty Science or Bullsh*t

This is the game where I give you 3 beauty science news headlines, 2 are true 1 is a made up. You have to pick the fake one.

1. Scientists can estimate the collagen levels in your skin just from a hand shake.
2. The first self healing nail polish could be created using a new regenerating plastic technology.
3. You should replace your toothbrush every three months because that’s how long it takes e. coli colonies to form

Beauty Science News

Microbead madness

A few months ago we talked about the plastic microbeads used in exfoliators not getting filtered out of sewage systems and ending up in the ocean. It looks like they’re not as easy to replace as we thought.

Is using coconut oil dangerous?

According to Refinery 29, coconut oil may contain a carcinogen. Actually, that’s not quite accurate…

The first skin care line inspired by mummies

Based on a new study on how peat bogs preserve corpses, a new product line is launching with this mummifying material.

Sunscreens failed the test

A test in the UK showed that 3 major sunscreens failed their independent testing. Should you be concerned your sunscreen isn’t good enough?

Don’t step on your carbon footprint

Colep launching an organic shaving cream that uses CO2. At a time when every body else in the world is talking about reducing co 2 emissions they decide that because it’s organic.

Peer reviewed papers use the term “chemical free”

Perry was shocked to find that 4,000 scientific papers mis-use the term “chemical-free.” This doesn’t bode well for

This show is a labor of love but Perry and I could really use your help. Here are two ways you can support the Beauty Brains:

• Tree June 10, 2014, 8:01 am

I love the game! Keep doing it. But I thought everyone knew that you should change your toothbrush every 3 months.

• Randy Schueller June 10, 2014, 8:16 am

@Tree: Thanks for your support of the game. Without this kind of encouragement, I’m afraid Perry will quit! I think everyone knows (or SHOULD know) to change their toothbrush but this helps explain WHY you need to change.

• Perry Romanowski June 25, 2014, 9:36 am

Well, I don’t think I’ll quit. I rather enjoy games where I’m not immediately brilliant at them. It gives me something to work towards.

• Leizel June 10, 2014, 8:17 am

Well, I enjoy playing along with Beauty Science or BS! It’s really interesting – but I’m not very good at getting the right answer.

• Sandra June 10, 2014, 11:02 am

Love the Beauty Brains!!! I read every email and have your books. You save me a lot of $$ and grief. Especially appreciated the article on avoiding shampoo buildup because I couldn’t figure out why every shampoo I used was making my hair limp. Thank you!!

• Randy Schueller June 10, 2014, 11:07 am

Sandra – thanks so much for the kinds words! I’m glad you hear that you think our advice is helpful.

• Anja June 10, 2014, 12:16 pm

This was my first time listening and I am hooked! Love this site!

• Randy Schueller June 10, 2014, 12:34 pm

Welcome, Anja! I’m glad that Perry’s annoying voice didn’t scare you away.

• Christina June 11, 2014, 9:20 am

Awwe..Perry. We all love both of the Beauty Brain voices!

I do however love that Perry attempted to change his voice and it sounded exactly the same still.

We love you all just the way you are.

• Randy Schueller June 11, 2014, 9:38 am

@Christina: thanks for the words of support. Hopefully they’ll help dissuade Perry from his plan to have vocal cord surgery to change his voice.

• Cindy June 15, 2014, 2:03 pm

I listen to the show religiously but am often intimated by the very intelligent and well thought-out comments from other listeners that I am deterred from commenting myself. As a science student, I’ve really learned so much about beauty science from your show (and yes, I love to play along with Beauty Science or BS, and I was happy to have gotten the answer to this one). Keep up the good work!

• admin June 15, 2014, 5:33 pm

Cindy: we have listeners with all different levels of experience and knowledge. Please never hesitate to leave a comment, we welcome everyone’s input!

PS I’m glad you enjoy hearing Perry get beat at Beauty Science or BS.

• Barbara Bird September 11, 2014, 7:33 pm

I confess that I have been reading your notes and not actually listening to the podcasts. Bad me! I love the banter and exchange between you. It’s great to have an injection of humor along with the science. I want to do that! You are inspiring me to start podcasts for pet groomers. Now I have to take the time to listen to a bunch of past podcasts.

The only disappointment with this podcast is that I was hoping for more on the subject of “chemical-free”. It is a pet peeve of mine, as well. Is there another podcast that addresses this issue?

• Randy Schueller September 12, 2014, 1:17 pm

Hi Barbara! Thanks for the kind words about our show. We strive to provide good info-tainment. We have talked about “chemical free” a few times on a couple of different shows (I don’t remember which ones off hand) but we’ve never devoted a special segment to the subject.

PS Good luck with your podcast. Be sure to come back and leave a link so the rest of our listeners/readers can check it out.