Is the Remington Wet 2 Straight Iron good for hair?

Bluecatbaby asks…Last year I bought a Remington Wet 2 Straight iron. It is marketed as an iron that can be used on wet hair without causing the damage that other irons cause when used on wet hair. I actually have hardly used it because I am skeptical of its claims and I hate damaging my hair. Still, the user reviews for it are mostly raves. Can it really be used on wet hair without causing damage (beyond that which is caused by any flat iron)?

The Beauty Brains replyrarity__s_all_wet_by_tecknojock-d3hamzf

As astute reader AleV pointed out in our Forum: “I don’t think this iron causes less damage than any other flat iron. When you apply the kind of heat an iron produces over the wet hair surface the water in it will also reach high temperatures like boiling, this is going to result in some sort of blisters in the cuticle, that means a lot of damage, more than if you use it on dry hair. This damage will occur no matter if the iron is “special” or not, so you better use it on dry hair with a heat protection product or a silicon serum.”

We’ve seen electron micrographs of the kind of damage that this “blister” phenomena causes so we know that’s accurate. The big question we have is how is this iron different than others?

Here’s what Remington says:

“Steam hydration therapy protects your hair from over-drying during this process by keeping the right amount of moisture locked in, ensuring that your hair stays healthy and sleek. This not only saves you the time of having to blow-dry before straightening, but also is better for your hair.”

We don’t really know what this means because rapidly heating wet hair with an flat iron is still damaging. Unless Remington is forthcoming with additional information about how this technology works, we agree with AleV’s assessment above.

Image credit: http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/146/8/9/rarity__s_all_wet_by_tecknojock-d3hamzf.png

• Jinxcat May 23, 2015, 1:48 pm

I used this for years with no damage to my hair. My hair was sleek and a shiny. The problem I had is that this straightener doesn’t hold up well and broke twice. After second time I didn’t repurchase.

• Mika May 23, 2015, 5:29 pm

Will using a hair drying brush (like the babyliss big hair) be less damaging than this flat iron? I’d take a little damage if it means spending less time on my hair

• Ashanti B May 24, 2015, 12:23 pm

Hi! I was wondering, how is “steam hydration therapy” supposed to work? I can’t say I’ve ever heard of it before.

• Randy Schueller May 25, 2015, 10:35 am

I think it’s related to using steam to moisturize hair but in all our years in the industry we’ve never come across anything that says this really works.

• denise June 17, 2015, 10:51 am

It works !! I’ve used mine for 8 years, on long hair! Silky, and shiny, Beauticians can’t believe it’s not damaged! I recommend to any one that doesn’t want to spend a lot of time on their hair.

• Maria May 27, 2015, 4:57 am

Reads like the steam ‘therapy’ is actually a sign of damage occurring.

• amy May 25, 2015, 6:35 pm

I agree, “steam hydration therapy” sounds like a bunch of marketing mumbo jumbo. I fell for the hype and bought one of these a few years ago. I only used it on a short bob, so I figured my hair was healthy enough to withstand a little abuse. but when I grew it out, my ends looked so dry and frizzy and the damage was several inches up. now I just use this on dry hair only.

and like Jinxcat, mine is on the fritz now. it often shuts itself off after only one minute or so. I’ve had other cheap irons (Revlon and Conair) last much longer for me.

• Jessica May 29, 2015, 5:29 pm

I too had this straightener, but I bought it years ago. It lasted for some time…until the cats pulled it off the counter by the cord… But I didn’t utilize the wet to straight aspect. The ONE time I did, it sounded like my hair was sizzling down to a crisp and the steam that came out the holes burned me. Now that I work in this industry, I can confidently say that this product is definitely not the best for your hair. Take the extra time to air dry your hair, or if you have to, blow dry. But, trapping your wet hair in with water that literally boils off, is a terrible idea