Are fragrance allergies all in your head? Episode 146

I thought we’d be flying home from our tropical vacation today but it turns out Perry lost our plane tickets in a poker game last night. Looks like we’ll be flying stand by. Until we get this all sorted out, please enjoy this encore episode on fragrance allergies.images

You an find the original show notes here.

Image credit: http://www.blossomofhealth.com/

• Female August 29, 2016, 6:30 pm

There’s nothing wrong with your voices and I like your catchphrase but I agree about you constantly bashing natural ingredients. Every time I hear that I wonder why I’m listening to this and wish you’d stop and/or I could find a similar podcast that doesn’t do that. The game you played doesn’t help counteract it either.

• Randy Schueller August 29, 2016, 9:31 pm

Sorry you feel that way but there’s SO MUCH misinformation out there about natural and organic products that we feel we have to speak up to keep people from getting ripped off. When companies selling natural products stop exploiting consumer’s fears, we’ll stop bashing them.

• Female September 13, 2016, 1:21 pm

Sorry, I meant to leave that as a reply.

• Female September 13, 2016, 2:00 pm

For example, I use the guide on this site http://www.terressentials.com/ingredientguide.html the most, and have tried some of their products too (such as their Pure Earth Hair Wash) and like them (though they have pretty ugly packaging and labels on some products but that’s not as important as what’s inside). I’m not always able to stick to the criteria listed on this page because it’s hard to find products this natural, especially when it comes to color cosmetics, but I try. I’m not interested in making DIY products but wanted to tell you, since you seem to wonder why people bother with that, they probably do it because products that are natural enough just don’t really exist and they can’t find them otherwise. I don’t think it’s only to save money. I’d rather spend more, save time, avoid the hassle, and buy something ready made with a short shelf life, in small sizes, maybe keep it refrigerated or something if it’s too perishable without preservatives etc, but haven’t found many products like this (especially color cosmetics). I was thinking of trying Etsy but don’t know if those people know what they’re doing and it will be safe. I have found some brands besides Terressentials that seem to have REALLY natural products, if you want I can give you the names so you can tell us what you think in a show. I just don’t want it to seem like I’m advertising them in comments.

• Female September 13, 2016, 3:03 pm

I’m just going to give you the names of some of the really natural brands I’ve found that don’t seem to do any greenwashing, so you can hopefully give your opinion of them on your show after reading some ingredients lists. So like I said I’ve tried some products from http://www.terressentials.com so far and like them, haven’t tried https://www.annmariegianni.com or https://www.livinglibations.com yet but am thinking of doing so, and I think there were some other brands but forgot the names now. Thanks

• Female September 15, 2016, 10:47 am

I forgot to include http://shop.morroccomethod.com as another brand I don’t think is greenwashing, haven’t tried yet but would like to, and would like your opinion on. I know in your shows you tend to only discuss specific products and ingredients but these brands have many products and I don’t have questions about anything specific right now other than whether or not they’re actually natural (not greenwashing and no synthetic ingredients), so maybe you can give your opinions on these companies in general.

• Randy Schueller September 15, 2016, 10:52 am

Interesting brand. I looked at a couple of products and they seem about as natural as you can get – none of the conventional hair care ingredients. I’d expect them to feel MUCH different than typical products. I’m a bit concerned because they promise benefits that I’m not sure are backed by science.

• Female September 13, 2016, 1:17 pm

I agree there’s a lot of greenwashing out there and it annoys and frustrates me too, so I always educate myself about what’s actually natural vs not. My problem with your show is when you act like natural products are no healthier or safer than synthetic, which is not true. Maybe your backgrounds in working for companies that make synthetic products have influenced you to think this way, but I hope you change your minds. Your show would be a lot more helpful if you taught people how to distinguish greenwashing from actual natural products so people don’t get tricked and waste their time or money, and also be more healthy at the same time and avoid toxins. For example you could tell us what to look for in ingredient names that indicate it’s synthetic (since you’re chemists and know all the chemical names, prefixes, suffixes), since there’s no way to memorize all those long words and what each thing is, let alone doing it while shopping, reading every ingredient on every label trying to find something that’s natural enough. Tips on how to do this faster would help. I don’t pay attention to marketing like ads or what the front of the label says, but always read ingredient lists and Google words I don’t know. This is only practical to do while shopping online, not in stores, so I need a faster way to do it.