Glycol?

Lots of products contain high amounts of Pentylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol, Dipropylene Glycol etc. A dermatologist told me that Propylene Glycol can be irritating for sensitive individuals, but what about the other Glycols? According the safety assessments they can certainly be a bit sensitizing, especially Butylene Glycol an Hexylene Glycol.

Maybe it's a coincidence, but I have a feeling lots of products with high amounts of Glycols make my skin feel a bit tight. Almost all paulas choice toners and exfoliates, even the ones for rosacea skin, contain as second or third ingredient a Glycol. What's your opinion, could it be sensitising, do you need to avoid one of them? Is my dermatologist wrong about Propylene Glycol? What about the paulas choice toners and exfoliates?

Comments

• Most people use glycol based products with no problems at all but what your derm told you seems reasonable to me.