Is aloe vera gel good for anything?

edited January 2014 in Ask the Beauty Brains
There was a sale so for some reason I decided to buy an aloe vera gel. But I have no idea how to use it. I read here that it doesn't moisturize skin so is there anything I can use it for? Is it ok for acne? What about using it as a soothing lotion after epilation/waxing? What about using it on hair? Or on rushes on my body (from shaving or epilation). It says 98% percent aloe, here are all the ingredients:
Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, althaea rosea root extract, butylene glycol, camellia sinensis leaf extract, water, polysorbate 20, triethanolamine, carbomer, acrylate s/C10-30 alkyl acrylate crosspolymer, disodium EDTA, phenoxyethanol, chlorphenesin, fragrance (and here I was foolishly thinking the nice smell is from the aloe very extract...).

Comments

• Aloe doesn't really have a scent so if the product smells good you're definitely picking up the fragrance. It consists of 99.5% water and 0.5% of mucopolysaccharides, choline and choline salicylate.

Aloe is good for burns because it works two ways: Mucopolysaccharides are film formers that create a thin, protective covering over the burn as the aloe dries; this film helps shield exposed nerve endings. Choline salicylate (which is chemically similar to the active ingredient in muscle rub creams) is an anti-inflammatory that soothes burned skin.

But here’s the REALLY important part: don’t buy products that use reconstituted powdered aloe vera because it doesn’t contain the same 0.5% of goodies that make the aloe work.
  • So is there something I can use this product for? Is the aloe vera powdered? How can I know? I feel so stupid falling for a marketing trick like that...
  • I use Fruit of the Earth brand aloe gel as one of the styling products for my curly/wavy hair. It doesn't have enough hold to use alone, but used under other products it produces lovely clumping of waves and curls. 
  • Tree: Look for this name as the first ingredient: Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice.
  • Ew, Randy, you mean aloe is related to mucus?
  • edited January 2014
    "Muco" and "mucus" probably have a common Latin root. But I'm not suggesting that this ingredient comes from nasal secretions. (But, damn, that would look good on an ingredient list!)
  • But aren't mucopolysaccharides IN mucus?
  • "Mucopolysaccharides are long chains of sugar molecules that are found throughout the body, often in mucus…"

• LOL Sarah I am pretty sure the FDA would not allow major companies to put bodily secretions in personal care products!
    =))
  • Yes, mucopolysaccharides are IN mucus. So is water and we use a lot of that in cosmetics!