Bleaching over coconut oil

I'm getting ready to bleach my hair and have seen online people recommending to use coconut oil before the process. I have already done a coconut oil mask a few days before in preparation, but some people recommend to even leave it in for the bleaching process. Does this really protect the hair during the process? And could it react with or even stop the bleach and developer from working to its fullest potential? Thank you!

Comments

• I haven't seen any data on this but it's coconut oil does penetrate hair to water proof it from the inside out. Since the bleaching solution is water based it makes sense that the oil could inhibit its penetration as well. If that's the case the oil treatment could reduce the damage from bleaching but also reduce the bleaching efficacy which would be a problem.
  • edited July 11
    if the skin is sensitive then, coconut oil is recommended to use before bleaching..coconut oil nourishes the skin, but yes as oil work as a lubricant so it protect skin from harmful effect of bleach or protect skin membrane from certain damage also reduces the bleaching efficiency..now a day pre-bleach is available in market .. that can be taken as a considerable option for sensitive skins.. regards kristina associated with xxx.
  • Kristina, thanks for your comment but we don't allow spam links in the forum so I've removed the one you added to your post. Thanks for understanding.
  • There is a german stylist (Dennis Busch) making youtube vids about Olaplex and Keraphlex. He usually uses conventional products. But in one of his comments he affirmed, that he noticed a slight protecting effect from coconut oil pretreatments he tried before bleaching. He himself was surprised about these results.