Primers: acne and removers

edited January 2014 in General
So I'm experimenting with facial primers. Question 1: can they cause acne? I've had this happen in the past when I've tried primer samples. Recently, I tried a primer and got a painful pimple, which is unusual for me. Hoping it's just a coincidence.
Question 2: do you need a special remover to get the primer off? I use a creamy cleanser that always takes all my makeup off, but with the primer, I still feel like there's a residue on my skin after cleansing.

• Answer 1: Yes if any of the ingredients (or combination of ingredients) are comedogenic. 

Answer 2: If the primer is silicone based it could be harder to remove than makeup which may consist of hydrocarbon oils, esters, powders, and pigments. A cleansing cream will be less effective at removing silicones than a facial wash. 
  • edited January 2014
    Thanks, Randy.  Are cones themselves comedogenic?

Oh, and FWIW, my remover is Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Cleanser.  You can find the ingredients here.  Would that take off the cones?
  • I also have acne prone skin and because of the scars I don't ever skip applying makeup. I use avocado oil with some drops of tea tree oil as a primer in the morning and as a makeup remover and moisturiser in the evening. I know there are studies that show that tea tree oil is as effective as benzoyl peroxide and also that vegetable oils can act as an alpha 5 reductase inhibitor. So this has been the best skin care routine for me so far, maybe Randy can confirm? For acne treatments I read, I've learned a lot there.
  • @ Sarah - You could maybe experiment with different types of oil and try oil cleansing. As you know I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) myself and that seems to remove everything quite well.

EVOO and sweet almond oil are two I see referenced a lot as good cleansers.

As with anything new, if you have reactive skin like mine, it pays to do spot tests!
  • Thanks, guys.  Oddly, I don't have acne prone skin, although I do have rosacea.  But primers have caused it to be acneic in the past.  Lindygirl, I have experimented with oil cleansing, but can't get passed the ick factor of the oil (I used olive).  Maybe I was using too much, but I just wanted to wash it off my face, it felt so heavy and greasy to me.
  • It doesn't take a lot. Guessing at the amount I pour into the palm of my hand, maybe a tablespoon.