Sunscreen ingredients
  • I'm going on vacation (yay!) , and I would really appreciate your advice on something: 

• Aqua, Octocrylene, Glycerin, Alcohol Denat., Titanium Dioxide (nano), Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Butylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Bis-Ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Hydrogenated Coco-Glycerides, Myristyl Myristate | Tocopheryl Acetate, Xanthan Gum, Stearyl Alcohol, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Sodium Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Trimethoxycaprylylsilane, Ethylhexylglycerin, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Trisodium EDTA.

What do you think about this ingredient list? It is Nivea Pure & Sensitive Lotion SPF 50+ for kids. I'd feel a lot safer if my sunscreen was approved by The Beauty Brains, I'm facing a very large risk of sunburn :)

Also, I've heard a lot of talk about hormone disruptors in the past, and I came to think of it when I was considering what sunscreen to use. Will this have an effect on my hormonal balance? Is there really such a thing as hormone disruptor, or is it just something hysteric chemofobes say? 
  • I'd expect this product to give good coverage since it contains a blend of Octocrylene, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane (Avobenzone), Bis-Ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine (Tinosorb S) and titanium dioxide. 

While octocrylene has been linked to hormone disruption, the FDA has evaluated it and it's considered safe for use up to 10% in the forumla.  The European Union allows its use up to 10% in a formula and Health Canada allows a maximum use level of 12%. 
  • What about the alcohol in the formula? will it dry out the skin?
  • Yes, I meant to mention that. I'm not a big fan of alcohol in skin lotions. I does have the potential to dry out skin. 
  • Are there any ingredients that we in general should avoid when it comes to hormone disruption? Have you ever written anything on the subject? I wasn't able to find anything on your site :(
  • We haven't written researched hormone disruptors but every time we've seen the issue raised we've we seen a statement from a reputable body stating that the ingredients are safe. If we see any definitive cause for concern we'll certainly blog about it. 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion