Anti Aging Ingredients: Can they raise testosterone levels
  • A co-worker of mine said that her mom
    was notified by her doctor that her testosterone levels  were elevated.  Her mom uses a lot of cosmetic
    products.    The doctor suggested to her mom that she
    should avoid any products specifically labeled Anti-Aging - doctor did not mention any specific ingredients or products. 

My understanding is that cosmetic ingredients cannot penetrate into the
    blood stream .... but, in this case, you  have a doctor saying that anti-aging  products can elevate   testosterone levels.  
    Can you explain what ingredients, if any, could have an effect on
    testosterone levels ?

• I've never heard of this and it sounds unlikely. I'd have to do some research to find out for sure but I won't be able to get to this for a few weeks.  
  • Hi Randy ~~

I found some information from the Personal Care Truth or Scare site:
    http://personalcaretruth.com/2010/10/ingredients-topical-application-versus-ingestion/

The author talks about  " Boron Nitride " in mineral makeup.  Someone said that they read it could possibly increase testosterone levels which the writer of the article debunked.

You read sooooo much about "
    Toxic " chemicals in cosmetics from " natural "  skin-care companies (promoting their products), email rumors,  bloggers, etc., etc. ...  but now you have a doctor saying that any skin-care product labeled " Anti-Aging "  can elevate testosterone levels

I look forward to your response.
  • Thanks for the article. I also found this site that talks about personal care product ingredients that reduce testosterone (oxybenzone and DEET.) 

It would be helpful if your co-worker's doctor could name some specific ingredients of concern. Saying that you should avoid ALL anti-aging products doesn't really make sense since their active ingredients can vary greatly. 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion