Does constant wearing of nail polish damage nails?
  • My nails have always been healthy and hard with very few instances of flaking or ripping/tearing. 

Until a couple of months ago, I used to wear nail polish perhaps 6 or 7 times a year. But I've recently been getting into nail polish and have been wearing it nearly constantly for the past couple of months. I always use a base coat, 2-3 coats of colour and then 1-2 layers of top coat.

Two days ago I removed my nail polish and noticed that 2 nails are peeling in a couple of places.

So... does constant wearing of nail polish damage nails? 
  • Some polishes contain formaldehyde which can strengthen nails but also dry them out. This could account for the increased peeling you've observed. And if your'e using more polish you may be using more polish remover which may be based on acetone, a solvent that can dry out the nail and also cause damage.  
  • Thanks Randy. I should have mentioned that I use a non-acetone nail polish remover.

Interesting about the formaldehyde! I've checked the ingredients for the top coat; it specifically states "sans formaldeyhyde". The base coat states that it helps prevent peeling & splitting. The coloured polish I was wearing last, however, doesn't list the ingredients so it may well contain formaldehyde.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion