Hair Leave-In treatment questions

Question 1: 

Hello Brains, I know this kind of question has been asked before, but I would like to know what are the differences between a wash off conditioner and a leave-in conditioner. I have been using a rinse-off as a leave-in (after conditioning in the shower) for the last week and my hair actually acts less frizzy than if I just use a silicone/oil serum! Here's the ingredient list of the conditioner I used, but it's from a Japanese product so maybe my translation is off.

Jill Stuart Conditioner: 
Water, stearyl alcohol, propylene glycol, mineral oil, triethylhexanoin (chemical name 1, 2, 3-Propanetriyl tris(2-ethylhexanoate)), dimethicone, fragrance, behentrimonium chloride, argan oil, apricot kernel oil, tocopherol, honey, hydrolyzed conchiolin protein, hydrolyzed silk, butylene glycol, EDTA-2Na, amodimethicone, isopropanol, ethanol, phytosteryl oleate, dicocodimonium chloride, distearyldimonium chloride, steartrimonium chloride, ceteth-20, hydroxyethylcellulose, malic acid, phenoxyethanol, methylparaben.

Some of the ingredients in the list are really unknown to me: triethylhexanoin and phytosteryl oleate, as well as ceteth-20. What are they and what do they do?

Also, I'm thinking that all the other "-ium chloride" are probably the same as behentrimonium chloride. 

Should I keep using this as a leave-in? Will it cause problems in the long run? Should I just buy a leave-in formula with behentrimonium chloride and silicones in it?

Question 2:

Also, another question about leave-in products and coconut oil: I sometimes use coconut oil as leave-in but it never works as well as a silicone+quat leave-in. I can't use coconut oil on my hair overnight because it gives me pimples D: plus, it's not really smoothing my hair down unless it's drenched in the oil. I do like the nourishing effects of coconut oil! Can I use coconut oil AND a silicone+quat leave-in at the same time?

Comments

• PS: I bought your book on amazon and another on audible! I can't wait for another one of those :D I hope the next one talks more about ingredients, like a cosmetic ingredient dictionary for the untrained.
  • Thanks for the questions and suggestions!