Brush cleaners...

Hi,

I clean my makeup brushes weekly and usually just use a baby shampoo such as the original J&J baby shampoo.

But it's very difficult to fully remove my foundations from those brushes. I use Lauder's Double-Wear, which is great for dry skin, not so great for my brushes.

I recently used Cinema Secrets and it was amazing at almost instantly dissolving the foundation residue. But, wow. That smell! Reminds me of turpentine.

Ingredients listed are: Isoparaffin Hydrocarbon, Hydrotreated Heavy Naptha, Isopropylparaben, Isobutylparaben, N-Butylparaben, Vanilla Planifolia (Vanilla Bean) Fruit Extract and D&C Green #6.

I wash and fully dry the brushes afterwards. Is this safe for skin?

Thanks!

Comments

• Those aren't ingredients that I would want to leave in contact with skin but as long as you're washing the product out of the brush before you use it, I don't see any problem. Are there any makeup artists in the Forum who could provide some more prospective? 
  • Thank you so much, Randy.

Actually I've decided not to use it again. Re-looking over the ingredient list I was reminded of lighter fluid. And I washed and dried the brushes thoroughly after using the Cinema Secrets, yet the brushes smell strongly of vanilla.

I am interested in what MUA say, though, I'm told it's a staple in the industry.

• I just use Suave Clarifying Shampoo on my brushes. Works really well and it's cheap. I also use a silicone cleansing pad to scrub the brush. They are marketed for use on the face but they really help to remove makeup residue from brushes. I buy them from the drugstore. They are very similar to the Real Techniques Brush Cleansing Pad but for a fraction of the cost.
  • Thank you for sharing, Melissa!
  • @MelissaMary that's what I do too!
  • i recommend you to buy a new branded brush
  • check out the list of some Best Makeup Brushes
  • Thanks for sharing Melissa.. :)