The top 5 myths about mineral oil part 1

We often see the advice that people should avoid mineral oil at all costs. This idea is Mineral Oilpropagated by numerous “natural” companies. Well, this advice is just bogus. It’s not based on any scientific studies. Mineral oil is a perfectly fine ingredient and has been used in cosmetics for over 100 years.

Here are the top 5 Myths that companies tell people to make them afraid of mineral oil. In part 2 we look at why “natural” companies would be trying to scare you.

Mineral Oil Myths

1. Mineral oil is contaminated with carcinogens. While it’s true that some petroleum derivatives contain carcinogenic materials (like some polycyclic aromatic compounds) the mineral oil that is used in the cosmetic and pharmaceutical industry is highly refined and purified. It’s purity is even regulated by the US FDA and other international regulatory agencies. There is absolutely no evidence that cosmetic grade mineral oil causes cancer. And there has been plenty of testing done to ensure that fact. We could find no published reports in any of the dermatological or medical journals indicating a link between mineral oil and any forms of cancer.

2. Mineral oil dries the skin and causes premature aging. Mineral oil works as a barrier between the skin and the air. It acts as an occlusive agent which prevents water from naturally leaving your body through your skin. It will not dry out your skin or cause premature aging. Quite the contrary. It will provide moisturization.

3. Mineral oil robs the skin of vitamins. Since many vitamins are oil based, people assume that mineral oil will pull them out of your skin. There is no legitimate scientific evidence that this is true. Mineral oil has no effect on the vitamin levels in your skin.

4. Mineral oil prevents absorption of collagen from collagen moisturizers. Collagen in your skin lotions and moisturizers is too big to actually penetrate your skin. Therefore, mineral oil will have no effect on whether the collagen gets absorbed or not.

5. Mineral oil causes acne. In some people, mineral oil can exacerbate acne problems. However, most people will not experience any problems.

So, if it is not for safety concerns, why would companies be telling you to avoid mineral oil? We’ll look at that in part 2 of our series.

• maggie October 12, 2014, 2:46 pm

My mother always used mineral oil to cleanse her face. she has always had the most beautiful skin.

Then, she would use witchhazel rose water afterwards.

Then, an excellent moisturiser (Revlon)

• Maureen Martin March 22, 2015, 9:31 am

Every esthetician and dermatologist I’ve ever worked with has told me the opposite. They said avoid mineral oil! It’s cheap to use that’s why it’s popular. I’d rather spend a few more $ and get a product that contains rose hips, jojoba, avocado, hemp seed, argan, sea buckthorn seed, coconut oils in it. The oils I listed and many more will not only hydrate, but will add vitamins, essential fatty acids, anti oxidants, anti inflammatory properties, etc to the skin. Mineral oil can’t do that! Before it was made “safe” to use on our skin & hair it was primarily used to lubricate machinery. I’ve been avoiding it for years and always will. e

• Randy Schueller March 22, 2015, 9:49 am

There’s no doubt that essential fatty acids are good for skin. However, they don’t moisturize as well as mineral oil. The idea that mineral oil is bad because it’s used to lubricate machinery is a logical fallacy. (Water is bad because it’s used to clean garage floors, right? Do you see how that approach doesn’t make sense?)

• markvturner April 3, 2015, 2:10 pm

I recently discovered that petroleum jelly is great for lubricating bike parts. Why buy a whole bottle of machine oil, when I can just use a small dab of something I already have lying around?

(btw, don’t use machine oil or any industrial oil on your skin. It’s mineral oil, but it’s not purified nearly as well as mineral oil meant for skin)

• Md kennedy May 5, 2015, 1:41 pm

I agree that mineral oil is not bad for your skin and is an effective moisturizer.BUT, do we really want to be supporting the petroleum industry and their Eco-destroying activities any more than we have to? I’ll stick with fair trade shea butter and olive oil from my neighbor’s olive trees (I am so lucky!)

• Blanche May 15, 2015, 4:55 pm

Mineral oil works great for my sensitive skin. It’s non-comedogenic and doesn’t irritate when near my eyes, problems I’ve had with most plant-based oils, I’m sorry to say. I love it in my homemade creams.

• Una Blogga May 25, 2015, 12:01 pm

Well… I’ll trust the science-y folks over at EWG.org. It’s kind of their mission to bring us the most up to date and unbiased facts.

I do like the Latin and super sexy spelling of “mineral oil…” Paraffinum liquidum, sounds so safe and silky smooth. Like rubbing transfats all over and then deep fat frying yourself to a delicious golden modified, with just a sprinkle of archaica for better marketing and “because…” Glad to see you didn’t throw that in. But don’t worry, you can keep using it. We’d rather you didn’t, for your own good, especially when there are safer and saner alternatives out there, but… so many chances, so few methylation cycles…