Danger! Eating hair can kill you

Here’s an interesting news report about a woman who had a 10-pound hairball removed from her stomach. It seems she went to the hospital about a year ago complaining of pain, abdominal swelling and vomiting after she ate. She also lost 40 pounds in 5 months.

The problem? She had trichophagia, a condition in which a person eats their own hair. Doctors said she must have been doing it for years. The hairball was surgically removed and the patient is doing fine.

But it just goes to show you that cats aren’t the only ones who can get hairballs. If you think you have trichophagia, consult a doctor. There have been cases where a hairball was fatal.

–Midbrain

Have you ever tasted your tresses? Be honest! Leave a comment and confess.

• Michael February 1, 2014, 12:54 am

I’ve been eating my own hair for years but generally chew it down to a paste so really don’t think I’m at risk

• shaniya September 17, 2015, 4:42 pm

can you die by choking on your hair??????

• cassandra February 23, 2016, 9:13 pm

i am 12 and i still eat my hair it makes my hurt but i cant help it i have done it sence i was 2 i hope i stop the habbit :'(

• Randy Schueller February 24, 2016, 7:09 am

We hope so too, Cassandra! Have you talked to anyone about this?

• rb March 9, 2016, 10:34 pm

If you are still eating your hair, I’m sure you could potentially get very ill. If you don’t have an adult you can trust to get help, please email me so that I could be a friend that you could talk to. I’m a very nice lady with a daughter of my own. I would be happy to talk to you. I’m also trustworthy and confidential. I am not a dr., nor do I study in this area. I happened to stumble upon your post and would love to help you.

• Rb March 9, 2016, 10:37 pm

Cassandra,
    Please contact me, I would love to talk to you and try to help. I’m not a dr., I’m not an expert comma but I do think that a nice chat with a friend could probably help. I could be your friend. I wish you the best if I don’t hear from you.

• keyona June 27, 2016, 10:30 pm

i feel something in my throat from eating my hair….i think i really neef to stop

• Zinny July 4, 2016, 7:22 am

Hello everyone on the forum, i am 18 y/o and m and am very worried for my health, i have been eating my own hair for around a year now and have severe trichomania, lately i have been getting weird digestion issues likd acid reflux and adominal pain and feeling bloated and am concerned if i should see a doctor regarding these symptons,i dont constantly pull and ingest only sometimes but i think its daily i just dont notice, very concerned and want to know if i will be fine, Thanks Zinny

• Randy Schueller July 4, 2016, 9:39 am

Hi Zinny. You should see a doctor for your stomach issues. Good luck!

• Girl July 20, 2016, 10:52 pm

I ate a piece of my pillow and it looked like hair but I ate a tiny piece and that’s it! Will I have to have surgery or anything happen??

• Allen July 27, 2016, 12:09 am

How can I stop eating my hair I want to stop but I can’t I Been eating my hair for 2 years and I want to stop