Danger! Eating hair can kill you

Here’s an interesting news report about a woman who had a 10-pound hairball removed from her stomach. It seems she went to the hospital about a year ago complaining of pain, abdominal swelling and vomiting after she ate. She also lost 40 pounds in 5 months.

The problem? She had trichophagia, a condition in which a person eats their own hair. Doctors said she must have been doing it for years. The hairball was surgically removed and the patient is doing fine.

But it just goes to show you that cats aren’t the only ones who can get hairballs. If you think you have trichophagia, consult a doctor. There have been cases where a hairball was fatal.

–Midbrain

Have you ever tasted your tresses? Be honest! Leave a comment and confess.

• Michael February 1, 2014, 12:54 am

I’ve been eating my own hair for years but generally chew it down to a paste so really don’t think I’m at risk

• shaniya September 17, 2015, 4:42 pm

can you die by choking on your hair??????

• cassandra February 23, 2016, 9:13 pm

i am 12 and i still eat my hair it makes my hurt but i cant help it i have done it sence i was 2 i hope i stop the habbit :'(

• Randy Schueller February 24, 2016, 7:09 am

We hope so too, Cassandra! Have you talked to anyone about this?

• rb March 9, 2016, 10:34 pm

If you are still eating your hair, I’m sure you could potentially get very ill. If you don’t have an adult you can trust to get help, please email me so that I could be a friend that you could talk to. I’m a very nice lady with a daughter of my own. I would be happy to talk to you. I’m also trustworthy and confidential. I am not a dr., nor do I study in this area. I happened to stumble upon your post and would love to help you.

• Rb March 9, 2016, 10:37 pm

Cassandra,
    Please contact me, I would love to talk to you and try to help. I’m not a dr., I’m not an expert comma but I do think that a nice chat with a friend could probably help. I could be your friend. I wish you the best if I don’t hear from you.