Should Jason natural products be outlawed?

May wants justice for Jason…Does any know about Jason Natural products? The one I use, says 84% Aloe Vera and no artificial ads like sls , parabens etc. is this really a dream or what?

The Left Brain responds:

Actually, May, Jason Natural products may not be the paragon of natural virtue that you seem to think. For example, consider their tea tree shampoo.

Jason Natural shampoo ingredients

Aqua, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Gel (Aloe Vera), Sodium Myreth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract (Chamomile), Salvia Officinalis Extract (Clary Sage), Ascophyllum Nodosum Extract (Brown Algae), Cetrimonium Chloride, Vegetable Glycerin, Sodium PCA, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate

Even though Aloe Vera and natural extracts dominate the ingredient list, a close look reveals active ingredients that are not any more natural than those used by most other brands. For example while they do avoid sodium laureth sulfate they use sodium myreth sulfate which just differs by a couple of carbon atoms. Likewise they contain the common conditioning agent cetrimonium chloride which is chemically processed and not generally considered to be very natural. It’s another case of a brand hiding standard ingredients behind a veil of natural goodies. The basic problem is that there’s no clear definition of what natural or organic means for a cosmetic product.

Jail time for Jason Natural?

Even the companies that make these products can’t agree on these definitions. Case in point, one maker of organic soaps is suing jason Naturals and a few other companies over the definition of organic. David Bronner, president of Dr Bronner’s Magic Soaps, claims that Jason Naturals and other brands are “composed of conventional rather than organic cleansing and moisturizing ingredients, with organic ingredients or extracts added for and ‘organic greenwash’.”

According to Cosmeticsdesign, Bonner is asking that these companies not only stop selling their organic products (unless they meet USDA National Organic Program specifications) but he also wants them to pay him damages because their “fake” organic products are hurting the sales of his “authentic” ones. How would you like to be the judge in THAT case?

The Beauty Brains Bottom line

Jason Natural products are not “a dream” as you put it but it looks like they might be headed for a legal nightmare. I’ll keep you posted on this story as it unfolds.

• Erin Elizabeth January 4, 2015, 7:52 pm

My son just had a severe allergic reaction to the 84% aloe vera lotion. I think that it specifically states it us for sensitive skin… not for ours apparently. Probably won’t use their products again.

• Jean December 13, 2015, 4:14 am

Hi Erin,

Your son may be allergic to aloe. I am allergic to it and have trouble finding natural products that don’t contain it. Be very careful.

If he is in fact allergic, he may develop an allergy to onions and garlic as they are in the same family. I am allergic to all three.

Jean

• Tesa February 16, 2015, 10:48 am

This morning at six, my spouse opened the master bathroom door after applying and combing in Jason’s hair styling gel on his hair. I happened to awaken earlier than usual and started having a nasty reaction, before getting out of bed. It was to the strong fumes from the Jason’s product. The multiple symptoms were upper abdomenal cramps, nausea, and the psoriatic coniditon I fight was welting up and itching, brain fog and lips burning as if I had put a caustic chemical on them. These symptoms had been showing up for a month or more when my spouse needed to get ready early in the morning while I was still asleep. I was waking up negative and out of sorts with the above listed symptoms also present. I’m so glad I woke up early enough today to figure out what was going on, for I was about to make a doctors appointment, the symptoms were so bad … from a secondhand product reaction, no less! We then read then ingredients and were appalled at the ambiguity in the listing. Well that’s the end of Jason’s products for our household, because we both had already had mild reactions to the toothpaste and mouthwash they produce.

• JAYDAKID97 January 16, 2016, 6:58 am

yeah they should be just for the name alone how would they like it if someone made fun of there name i doubt they’d like it that’s for sure! i bet if a product called cornell he wouldn’t like it would he? NO! this shit is the reason stuff like aids and cancer exists

• Debbie May 9, 2016, 7:21 am

I’ve never really had a problem with Jason Products, but was always under the impression that they were organic, enviromnentally friendly, free from chemicals and most importantly not tested (or their ingredients) on animals. I recently placed another order with them over a week ago, and hadn’t received it, and their customer service is non existant, no one will get back to me. Having seen this website, I don’t think I’ll be buying from them again either.

• Kim Mahoney June 5, 2016, 3:14 pm

I love Jason products! I use the Soothing Aloe Vera Oil and the Soothing Coconut Oil on my Rosacea and all my symptoms (ruddy face, scaley patches, etc) have gone away. I never saw this with pharmaceuticals or other treatments.

• Rebecca Hill June 30, 2016, 3:46 pm

WOW!! What I just learned about jason Natural products company! I had no idea they were getting ready to maybe go into a legal battle, though, I am glad that Dr. Bronner’s liquid (organic soap) company/business is willing to take them on! It has got to be frustrating when a company as good & dedicated to making an awesome (organic) liquid soap product is seeing other companies really being not truthful about their products for skin being (organic).. ;( I have been using Dr. Bronner’s liquid soap for years. I love how it makes my skin feel clean, refreshed & tingly..cause of the very active (organic) ingredients!! I sure hope Dr. Bronner’s wins!! I would like to see their products around for many, many years and onto into infinity.. 😉

• Nikki August 5, 2016, 8:31 pm

I wish I have read about JASON and their outrageous NATURAL products before I have experienced the most painful allergic reaction I have ever imagined. After using their JASON Softening Cocoa Butter Hand and Body Lotion I have had a horrible swollen red and itchy face. I am on 3 types of steroids over the course of the next 6 days. Thank you JASON for taking care of my skin! #JASON LAWSUIT

• Victoria August 31, 2016, 10:27 pm

How do I buy Jason’s shampoos then my head is really itchy and sore

• Ryan September 19, 2016, 7:35 am

I’ve tried the Men’s Body Wash, Forest Scent and I itch very bad every time I use it.

• Shabena November 12, 2016, 3:42 am

I have very sensitive skin and thinning hair. I suffer from dermatitis and allergies, I have used topical steroids creams and lotions for years. I used head and shoulders for years to control dandruff as it was the only thing I found worked, then I did some research and realised it has sls which might be causing my hair to fall out and rash on my scalp. That’s when I started using jasons anti dandruff shampoo. I loved it so I switched to the body wash too. I have never had any problems with any of the products but I am a bit disappointed after reading this article as these products are not as ‘natural’ as we are lead to believe.

Saying that, lot of these chemicals are used as matter of course 1.Because they are tried and tested and require no further testing 2. They are cost effective. Also the ones used are milder than more commercial shampoos or soaps so don’t cause me or my kids any problems but I will be looking into some more natural alternatives to avoid contact with chemicals.

• Ana Sousa November 22, 2016, 11:27 am

This is ridiculous.
    I have bought many natural products for my hair. None worked for dandruff and frizz apart from Jason.
    I understand they are not 100 per cent natural, but at least deliver results, while not being 100 per cent artificial either.

• Robert November 29, 2016, 12:26 pm

Jason’s is a lousy fake “natural” brand, Dr.Bronners is awesome.