Hair repair: new technology really works

February is link love month at the Beauty Brains. All month we’re answering questions from other bloggers to introduce our readers to beauty blogs they may not have seen before. Today’s question comes from one of our new favorites, Michelle at Lab Muffin. Check out her site!

Michelle asks…Are there ANY hair products out there that can actually reconstruct/repair hair (as opposed to just protecting it from further damage)?

The Right Brain responds:

This is a great question because one of our favorite pet peeves are all the products that claim to repair hair but don’t. When you actually look at the science behind those products you find that they are almost always “regular” conditioners. That means they are very good at smoothing the cuticle and helping to prevent future damage but the do nothing to truly repair hair.

Does any hair repair product really work?

There is hope, however, because of new one technology that works differently. This technology is based on a polyelectrolyte complex, or PEC for short. This PEC complex consists of a negatively charged ion (PVM/MA copolymer) and a positively charged ion (Polyquaternium-28.) This combination of positive and negative charges creates a single complex with the unique ability to stick to damage hairs and to itself.

How does PEC technology repair hair?

What does all this mean? Well, instead of just coating the outside of hair like most conditioners do, the tiny PEC molecules are able to enter the split ends of hair. Because the complex can stick to the damaged hair protein and to other complex molecules, it creates little bridges across the open ends of the splits. As your hair dries, the water evaporates from the complex causing it to contract. The force of this contraction pulls the end of the split hairs back together again. Once the PECs are dry they bind the split end shut. Watch this video to see what happens when a drop of PEC complex is placed on a split end and dried with a blow dryer:

Which products contain PEC technology?

Nexxus, Joico, and Tresemme all make products containing the Polyelectrolyte Complex. If you’d like to try this new hair repair technology for yourself, please consider buying one of these through the links below. Your purchase helps support the Beauty Brains blog.

Nexxus Pro-Mend Conditioner

Joico K-Pak Reconstruct Split End Mender

Tresemme Split Remedy Conditioner

Image credit: Splitender.com

Reference: Ending the Cycle of Split Ends

FacebookTwitterGoogle+StumbleUponShare

• Kristen Paige February 21, 2014, 11:50 am

What is the actual ingredient (or ingredients) that I should look for to determine if a product has this technology? I want to know for the future in case additional items come on the market that have it! Thanks :)

• Kristen Paige February 21, 2014, 11:53 am

From the above info, I’m thinking the ingredients that need to be there are just Polyquaternium 28 and PVM/MA Copolymer; but does the presence of those two mean it for sure works as described? Or are there other factors? Again, I’m just wondering how I can determine if a product has this based on the ingredient label.

• Randy Schueller February 21, 2014, 4:08 pm

Kristen: The two ingredients you mentioned are the critical ones. We’ve never seen any product that can deliver this degree of split end mending without them. HOWEVER, just because you see them listed as ingredients doesn’t guarantee the product will work. The polyelectolyte complex that these ingredients form is very sensitive to processing, other ingredients that may be present, and even concentration.

• PA February 23, 2014, 11:31 am

The Nexxus and TresSemme serums are amazing for reducing frizz and excess volume in my big, frizzy, long hair. I only used the serums, not all their other products. They are the best anti-frizz products I’ve used. They made the curls more defined and shinier. I use them all over the top layer of hair, not just at the ends. The problem for me is that fragrances make my skin or eyes get red. I used these products anyway for awhile because I’m semi-desperate to have nicer hair. But in the end it seemed like the red eyes more than cancelled out the lovely hair, in terms of looking good overall, so I stopped using them. But if you don’t have a fragrance problem, the PEC technology really is a breakthrough and these products are worth a try.

• Kristen Paige February 24, 2014, 9:08 am

Thanks for the feedback!! I have used the Tresemme Split Remedy conditioner in the past and honestly felt like it made a difference in helping my split ends. I’ve recently had trouble finding it in stores (may just be a fluke) and my hair is not the same now. I will definitely seek out and continue to use the Split Remedy conditioner in the future.

• skb August 14, 2014, 9:24 pm

How often does one have to use these treatments to maintain the bonded split ends? Are the split ends bonded permanently (or at least, until they are damaged again) or does it eventually wash out? I’ve found great improvement in my hair with a conditioner containing BIS-aminopropyl dimethicone, and have read that this is a silicone which bonds strongly to damaged parts of the hair but not to itself. Is the combined ingredients you mentioned better?

• Randy Schueller August 15, 2014, 6:24 am

Depending on your individual hair condition, these kind of treatments can last through several shampooings. Each time you shampoo a few more splits may open up but overall they stay sealed reasonably well. It is NOT permanent. The dimethicone ingredient is a good conditioner but it does not mend splits from the inside out like this PEC technology does.