Is Gorilla Snot Gel a good styling product?

Chinawhite asks…Is the alcohol in Gorilla Snot Gel drying to the hair and what effects does the sorbitol have on the hair used in conjunction with the alcohol?

The Beauty Brains respond:

I’ll be honest: the primary reason I’m answering this question is because it may be the only time in my life I will get to write the phrase ”Gorilla Snot Gel.”

Gorilla Snot Gel. Gorilla Snot Gel. Gorilla Snot Gel.

There! Now I feel better. The way I see it there are 2 or 3 problems with this type of hair styling product.

Alcohol: the cause of, and solution to, all of life’s problems

Gels which are based on alcohol can be drying to both hair and skin. This doesn’t bother everyone but some people are more sensitive to this than others. That’s why you’ve seen in movement to alcohol free products over the last 10 years or so. (Plus, companies don’t like to handle alcohol if they don’t have to because it’s more expensive than water and requires special permits.)

Poor humidity resistance

The primary styling agent is this product is PVP (which is short for PolyVinlyPyrrolidone. PVP is used in stylers because its cheap and it gives a very hard crunchy hold. As long as there’s no moisture in the air. Because if there is the PVP will absorb it and become sticky. Some people love the PVP crunch but it’s certainly NOT a state of the art styling aid.

Sorbitol sucks

Sucks water that is. Sobitol is a polyol like glycerine which means it can bind water through hydrogen bonding. It’s probably added to this formula to help plasticize the PVP resin to prevent flaking. However, as noted above, PVP doesn’t do well when exposed to water and sorbitol is likely to only make things worse.

The Beauty Brains bottom line

If you’re looking for a strong hair styling product you’d be better of with a gel formulated with more modern styling polymers than Gorilla Snot Gel.

Gorilla Snot Gel ingredients

Water, PVP, Alcohol, PEG-150, Sorbitol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Triethanolamine, Carbomer, Cyamopsis Tetragonoloba Gum (Guar), Fragrance, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Yellow 10 (CI 47005), Yellow 6 (CI 15985), Green 8 (CI 59040)

• Jeanine October 10, 2015, 11:38 pm

My hair is very very dry ever since I’ve been using gorilla snot gel. It starts to flake and I’ve develop worse eczema at My edges….my hair is falling out everytime I itch the skin around my edges get really flaky and I have tiny red bumps everywhere…..should I stop using it ?

• Randy Schueller October 13, 2015, 7:42 am

If you’re sure it’s the Gorilla Snot causing the problem then I’d say yes, stop using it.

• jesus November 6, 2015, 10:28 am

Im having the same problems as this other guy my hairs dry and inchie and my hair falls out it started happening as soon as I started using gorilla snot

• Yvette Lee December 19, 2015, 1:20 am

I have been using Gorilla Snot for about four years on my sons hair. He is Ten now and he has all kinds off acne around his hair line, I can.t figure out if it is from the gel or he is not washing his face right. Red bumps are popping up left and right. Also I do not want the gel to cause my son to go bald or have long term anything. I never thought about the ingredient until now. I read in another article that the makers of the gel got fined because of it ingredients. Please tell me about the gel. Worried Mom

• Randy Schueller December 19, 2015, 7:29 am

I really doubt the gel will make your son go bald but there could be something in the formula that’s causing the red bumps you described. If you really think the gel is the problem (vs his shampoo or conditioner or something) then I would say stop using it and try another brand.

• Lacoco Pirtle April 9, 2016, 3:24 pm

I just started using this product want I have read I will not Continue using this product

• Sandra April 18, 2016, 12:31 pm

I started using it and small bumps began to form && the products makes my edges appear as if fungus is growing

• Sarah N. June 16, 2016, 9:12 am

So is the sorbitol a good or bad moisturizer for curly hair? It “sucks water,” which would help my hair retain water. Is that correct?

• Nat peterson June 23, 2016, 3:54 am

This is one of the worst products I’ve ever put on my hair. Flakes terribly, have to wash my hair after one application, and my scalp is literally inflamed around the edges and it itches like hell. It even bleeds if I so much as rub it or wash it… Wouldn’t recommend.

• Greenolive August 21, 2016, 8:18 am

Thank you so much. I was wondering about this product drying out my natural hair, and now I am confident about my decision now to purchase it