Is Ovation Cell Therapy hair care worth the money?

Redrum asks…I keep hearing ads for Ovation Cell Therapy hair care and I wonder if it really works. The radio ads say something like “I can’t believe there are no prescriptions and no medical procedures it just works. My hair is thicker fuller and stronger.” It costs $96 for 3-12 ounce bottles but I’m scared to spend that much. Is it really worth it?

The Beauty Brains respond:

The old adage “if it sounds too good to be true it probably is” is often accurate when it comes to haircare products.

What is Ovation Cell Therapy?

This hair care line, made by DC labs, features a shampoo, conditioner and treatment which retails for about $100.  I believe the product is sold exclusively online through their website Ovationhair.com. I’ve heard these radio ads too and although I don’t have an exact transcript, they say things like the following:

• No procedures
  • No prescription
  • I can’t believe the results
  • Makes my hair thick and full just from a shampoo

And here’s what they don’t say but what you might logically think:

• Well there’s no prescription required so it must be comparable to something that does require a prescription otherwise why would they make that comparison?
  • It makes my hair look for and feel thicker, that must mean it’s either improving the hair itself or growing more hair.
  • It contains “cell therapy” which sounds like stem cells and I know stem cells can help fight aging so the product must make my hair grow better.

Does it really grow more hair?

But if you do think these things you’ve come to them yourself – DC labs never says ANYTHING about the product growing hair. In fact, the claims on the website are very straightforward. They say things like the following about their products:

• “create thicker, longer, stronger, and visibly healthier hair.”
  • “using innovative ingredients and technology to give you healthy, soft, touchable hair.”
  • “makes your hair smoother for less fly-aways, and adds hydration for amazing fullness.”

In the Ingredients section of their website they do mention that Biotinyl-GHK and Oleanolic Acid help with hair growth but they make no direct claims about their products in this regard.

So, despite what you might think from the radio ads, the claims seem pretty typical of other hair care products. (As Randy previously discussed in his article about Folicure, it’s easy for companies to support claims about “thicker, longer hair.”)

The Beauty Brains bottom line

Ovation Cell Therapy hair care products may feel terrific on your hair and if you’ve got a hundred bucks burning a hole in your pocket you should order them right now. But don’t be tricked into spending a lot of money on hair care products that simply imply that they stop hair loss and promote hair growth.

• Kathy January 21, 2015, 2:50 pm

I tried Ovation Hair Therapy because someone recommended it for thinning hair but within a month, I experienced more hair fall out than usual. It is not worth the $$.

• Angela March 8, 2015, 1:26 pm

I have used this for about three months now. I only used the shampoo twice because it is too drying for my damaged dry hair. I use Wen conditioning cleanser first then use the cell therapy treatment. My hair does seem a little thicker and stronger but I don’t like the texture and I find the cell therapy treatment stings my scalp and skin a little. I think that Kerastase Ciment Aunti-Usure (Vita-Cement Topseal) is the best product I’ve used for damaged hair and although its pricey its much less than Ovation.

• Rochelle March 11, 2015, 6:29 pm

I too have used Ovation on several occasions. The first time I only bought the cell therapy and it worked miracles on my dry, damaged hair. This second time I ordered the shampoo, conditioner, and cell therapy and am not as happy with results. I have no body or volume. I’m going to discontinue use of the shampoo and condition and see if I can get the same results as I did the first time with just the cell therapy. On a different note, the cell therapy works really well on my children (7 and 4) who have eczema on their scalps. They hated the coconut oil I used to use. This is an easier alternative. It helps detangle my daughter’s hair and my son likes the smell.

• Alena Snejok September 11, 2015, 3:36 pm

I´ve been using Ovation therapy for half a year now, and I see positive changes. It helps with my flaky scalp too, I don´t need to use anti dendruf shampoo anymore.

• Linda Brown March 12, 2015, 12:50 pm

I have used it exclusivly for Agee years. It completely transformed my fine damaged and thinning hair. I love it

• BB April 19, 2015, 9:04 am

I looooove the Cell Therapy! I only use the Cell Therapy because the shampoo and conditioner did nothing for my hair. I’ve been using solely the Cell Therapy for about 4 years now and its amaaaaazing! I’m getting compliments now on my long beautiful curly hair! During menopause, my hair lost it’s curl, became thin, and I was losing hair. I was freaking out! My hair stylist mentioned that a couple of her clients are using Ovation Cell Therapy and with great results! So I gave it a try and soooo glad I did.

TIP: It’s pricey but I only go through 1 bottle in about 4 months. I replace the lid with a thinner nozzle lid. Every other night, I squeeze out a very small amount of the product onto my scalp only, massage it to spread it evenly, loosely tie my hair in a pony tail with a “cloth” hair tie. In the morning I wash my hair. That’s all! As far as shampoo, condition, argon oil etc, I just use what I like. The only product I use from ovation is the Cell Therapy.

Hope this helps.

• Toni August 30, 2015, 3:13 pm

Please clarify your message. You have used Ovation for years or a product called Agee that has completely transformed your fine damage and thinning hair?
      My husband has a good grade of hair but it is fine and thinning.

• Mattie Holer May 15, 2015, 1:53 am

Can you use Ovation Cell Therapy on person that dye & highlight her hair. Please comment on this anyone.

• Randy Schueller May 15, 2015, 8:15 am

It’s just a shampoo and conditioner so I don’t see why not. You should ask the company if you’re really concerned about it.

• Sylvia Wells June 22, 2015, 11:19 pm

Yes, Ovation Products help turn processed and dry hair into healthy happy tresses. I dye and streak. I take medications that dry my hair. My hair is in great shape because of Ovation. With the help of my excellent stylist Jennifer Adams, it now reaches to the middle of my back!

I suggest that you start with the Moisturizing formulas rather than the Volume formulas. If you want more volume while using up your first order, wash with a clarifying shampoo every two-three times.

This pr0duct is not for everyone. It may not help you at all. We are always having to experiment to find the right products for us. That’s OK. They do their best to provide a simple clean healthy product that works. Pass Ovation on to a friend who is having thinning or dry hair problems.

• ioreth May 23, 2015, 3:35 am

The cell therapy has enzymes and things that help stimulate blood flow and if your thinning is due to hormonal causes (DHT accumulation) it can aid in flushing it from the follicles, and hence stimulate regrowth. It is a great scalp treatment. The shampoo and conditioner are crap imho, they have a thickening coating agent to bind to the hair (which supposedly helps the hair if it’s brittle and breaking off)…I personally don’t care for those, but the cell therapy, in conjuction with rogaine/minoxidil (Pantene now has their own line, 1/2 the price of Rogaine brand) and Nizoral shampoo has stopped my hormonal thinning.
    My personal receipe is 3x weekly, massage the Nizoral shampoo into scalp ONLY (very harsh on the hair, so keep it off the shaft as much as possible, this requires parting your hair 1st into sections and rubbing it on the part lines), let it soak on the scalp for 15 min., then shampoo out with your regular brand, or just rinse it out and condition if you have seriously damaged hair, and the minoxidil AM and PM. If you don’t have super short hair, you don’t want the minoxidil foam….very hard to control and apply just to the scalp. The drops are much easier to control. And the Ovation cell therapy as directed (I use it the days I don’t do the Nizoral treatment).

• kim May 25, 2015, 8:40 pm

I have red hair but its thin will it help my hair. ?

• Randy Schueller May 26, 2015, 10:48 am

Kim and Robyn: As we said it appears to be a good conditioner but there’s no evidence that it will help grow more hair or thicker hair.

• Robyn Lawson May 26, 2015, 8:55 am

My hair doesnt grow much never has but my hair is really thinning with age would the cell therapy help me

• Lorena Chavez June 9, 2015, 9:53 pm

I with all honesty do not like the shampoo or conditioner. It has caused my hair to dry so bad that my hair dresser is in shock from one month to the next. I also notice hair loss with the product. I want my money back.

• carole June 20, 2015, 10:13 am

did you try moisturizing shampoo or shampoo for color treated hair

• Sue Culpepper June 20, 2015, 2:25 pm

Have used all 3 products twice, and notice my hair is very dry and the curling iron barely curls my hair as it previously did with my regular shampoo and rinse. Also, slightly more hair loss in the sink strainer after washing. Will continue until I run out, to see if there is any lasting improvement, and then make a decision whether to continue use, or not.

• concern July 24, 2015, 10:25 pm

Is this products only for women, or can be used by men?

• Dee, please help!!!! August 9, 2015, 11:39 am

I have tried nioxion on my hair, I have tried every expensive shampoos and conditioners. I get my hair foiled blond. Since I turned a certain age and all my medications my hair is falling out and braking off!!! I’m am sick of this and all upset. I was going to try the ovation hair cell therapy line, and not sure what to do. If that is not a good idea PLEASE TELl ME WHAT TO BUY!! Thank you!!!!

• Trying to help someone I love August 20, 2015, 11:28 pm

Have you had any luck finding something that works?

• Marnie September 13, 2015, 4:03 pm

I’ve been using the products for about 2 years because my hair was slowly shedding — I’d find too many hairs in the shower drain. As soon as I started using Ovation, the shedding stopped, like immediately. Since I’m on a fixed income, the price is a lot for me. I stopped using it and went back to the store brands, and right away I noticed hair in the drain. When I went back to Ovation, it stopped. So Ovation is doing something. I don’t like the conditioner though – it doesn’t detangle and seems of no benefit. I occasionally use the cell therapy. It makes my hair thicker and smells like coconut for a while. My hair is very fine and thin, and I can’t see that I’m growing more hair or longer hair, but Ovation does seem to stop the shedding.

• Izzy September 19, 2015, 11:28 am

I actually had a wonderful experience. As someone who is constantly coloring, bleaching, and drying out my hair, I first heard of Ovation through my boyfriend. Picked it up a few weeks later for a cheaper price at one of our fairs. As soon as I started using it there was immediate results. My hair was no longer shedding all over the place and in a few weeks to a month my hair was getting longer. This of course is a personal experience and it might not work the same for everyone, but for the price to me it’s worth it because no other product including salon professional has made such a stunning change.

• LORI September 20, 2015, 2:55 pm

I’ve used ovation therapy system and it really worked to make my hair grow and fuller. It’s just a bit pricey.
    I am African Indian and it dried my hair out something bad. Really hard to comb after using the shampoo.
    The conditioner and cell therapy is pretty good though.

• Nadine September 26, 2015, 11:33 am

I have a question for any of you that have already used this product. I have honestly tried it all. I did viviscal tablets, oil treatments 3x a week for 3/hrs, low level laser restoration, minoxidil, invanti hair care system, kerainique, and saw palmetto oil among other things. I’m really interested to try this product because it seems to work for a lot of people. I’m just wondering if anyone else uses this in conjunction with any other methods of hair loss treatment or products of the sort. I know on their site they recommend using their hair care products with it, but I didn’t hear anything good about their shampoo. What do you use?