Is Ovation Cell Therapy hair care worth the money?

Redrum asks…I keep hearing ads for Ovation Cell Therapy hair care and I wonder if it really works. The radio ads say something like “I can’t believe there are no prescriptions and no medical procedures it just works. My hair is thicker fuller and stronger.” It costs $96 for 3-12 ounce bottles but I’m scared to spend that much. Is it really worth it?

The Beauty Brains respond:

The old adage “if it sounds too good to be true it probably is” is often accurate when it comes to haircare products.

What is Ovation Cell Therapy?

This hair care line, made by DC labs, features a shampoo, conditioner and treatment which retails for about $100.  I believe the product is sold exclusively online through their website Ovationhair.com. I’ve heard these radio ads too and although I don’t have an exact transcript, they say things like the following:

• No procedures
  • No prescription
  • I can’t believe the results
  • Makes my hair thick and full just from a shampoo

And here’s what they don’t say but what you might logically think:

• Well there’s no prescription required so it must be comparable to something that does require a prescription otherwise why would they make that comparison?
  • It makes my hair look for and feel thicker, that must mean it’s either improving the hair itself or growing more hair.
  • It contains “cell therapy” which sounds like stem cells and I know stem cells can help fight aging so the product must make my hair grow better.

Does it really grow more hair?

But if you do think these things you’ve come to them yourself – DC labs never says ANYTHING about the product growing hair. In fact, the claims on the website are very straightforward. They say things like the following about their products:

• “create thicker, longer, stronger, and visibly healthier hair.”
  • “using innovative ingredients and technology to give you healthy, soft, touchable hair.”
  • “makes your hair smoother for less fly-aways, and adds hydration for amazing fullness.”

In the Ingredients section of their website they do mention that Biotinyl-GHK and Oleanolic Acid help with hair growth but they make no direct claims about their products in this regard.

So, despite what you might think from the radio ads, the claims seem pretty typical of other hair care products. (As Randy previously discussed in his article about Folicure, it’s easy for companies to support claims about “thicker, longer hair.”)

The Beauty Brains bottom line

Ovation Cell Therapy hair care products may feel terrific on your hair and if you’ve got a hundred bucks burning a hole in your pocket you should order them right now. But don’t be tricked into spending a lot of money on hair care products that simply imply that they stop hair loss and promote hair growth.

• Kathy January 21, 2015, 2:50 pm

I tried Ovation Hair Therapy because someone recommended it for thinning hair but within a month, I experienced more hair fall out than usual. It is not worth the $$.

• Angela March 8, 2015, 1:26 pm

I have used this for about three months now. I only used the shampoo twice because it is too drying for my damaged dry hair. I use Wen conditioning cleanser first then use the cell therapy treatment. My hair does seem a little thicker and stronger but I don’t like the texture and I find the cell therapy treatment stings my scalp and skin a little. I think that Kerastase Ciment Aunti-Usure (Vita-Cement Topseal) is the best product I’ve used for damaged hair and although its pricey its much less than Ovation.

• Rochelle March 11, 2015, 6:29 pm

I too have used Ovation on several occasions. The first time I only bought the cell therapy and it worked miracles on my dry, damaged hair. This second time I ordered the shampoo, conditioner, and cell therapy and am not as happy with results. I have no body or volume. I’m going to discontinue use of the shampoo and condition and see if I can get the same results as I did the first time with just the cell therapy. On a different note, the cell therapy works really well on my children (7 and 4) who have eczema on their scalps. They hated the coconut oil I used to use. This is an easier alternative. It helps detangle my daughter’s hair and my son likes the smell.

• Alena Snejok September 11, 2015, 3:36 pm

I´ve been using Ovation therapy for half a year now, and I see positive changes. It helps with my flaky scalp too, I don´t need to use anti dendruf shampoo anymore.

• Linda Brown March 12, 2015, 12:50 pm

I have used it exclusivly for Agee years. It completely transformed my fine damaged and thinning hair. I love it

• BB April 19, 2015, 9:04 am

I looooove the Cell Therapy! I only use the Cell Therapy because the shampoo and conditioner did nothing for my hair. I’ve been using solely the Cell Therapy for about 4 years now and its amaaaaazing! I’m getting compliments now on my long beautiful curly hair! During menopause, my hair lost it’s curl, became thin, and I was losing hair. I was freaking out! My hair stylist mentioned that a couple of her clients are using Ovation Cell Therapy and with great results! So I gave it a try and soooo glad I did.

TIP: It’s pricey but I only go through 1 bottle in about 4 months. I replace the lid with a thinner nozzle lid. Every other night, I squeeze out a very small amount of the product onto my scalp only, massage it to spread it evenly, loosely tie my hair in a pony tail with a “cloth” hair tie. In the morning I wash my hair. That’s all! As far as shampoo, condition, argon oil etc, I just use what I like. The only product I use from ovation is the Cell Therapy.

Hope this helps.

• Toni August 30, 2015, 3:13 pm

Please clarify your message. You have used Ovation for years or a product called Agee that has completely transformed your fine damage and thinning hair?
      My husband has a good grade of hair but it is fine and thinning.

• Mattie Holer May 15, 2015, 1:53 am

Can you use Ovation Cell Therapy on person that dye & highlight her hair. Please comment on this anyone.

• Randy Schueller May 15, 2015, 8:15 am

It’s just a shampoo and conditioner so I don’t see why not. You should ask the company if you’re really concerned about it.

• Sylvia Wells June 22, 2015, 11:19 pm

Yes, Ovation Products help turn processed and dry hair into healthy happy tresses. I dye and streak. I take medications that dry my hair. My hair is in great shape because of Ovation. With the help of my excellent stylist Jennifer Adams, it now reaches to the middle of my back!

I suggest that you start with the Moisturizing formulas rather than the Volume formulas. If you want more volume while using up your first order, wash with a clarifying shampoo every two-three times.

This pr0duct is not for everyone. It may not help you at all. We are always having to experiment to find the right products for us. That’s OK. They do their best to provide a simple clean healthy product that works. Pass Ovation on to a friend who is having thinning or dry hair problems.

• Bailey April 2, 2016, 1:16 pm

They have the color protection cell system that is amazing. Yes it’s expensive, but you don’t get great results from a cheap product… you get what you pay for. People who say it doesn’t work on their hair type, are probably using the wrong system (people with fine hair shouldn’t be using the high moisture system for thick hair and visa versa). You’ll never really know until you try it for yourself.

• ioreth May 23, 2015, 3:35 am

The cell therapy has enzymes and things that help stimulate blood flow and if your thinning is due to hormonal causes (DHT accumulation) it can aid in flushing it from the follicles, and hence stimulate regrowth. It is a great scalp treatment. The shampoo and conditioner are crap imho, they have a thickening coating agent to bind to the hair (which supposedly helps the hair if it’s brittle and breaking off)…I personally don’t care for those, but the cell therapy, in conjuction with rogaine/minoxidil (Pantene now has their own line, 1/2 the price of Rogaine brand) and Nizoral shampoo has stopped my hormonal thinning.
    My personal receipe is 3x weekly, massage the Nizoral shampoo into scalp ONLY (very harsh on the hair, so keep it off the shaft as much as possible, this requires parting your hair 1st into sections and rubbing it on the part lines), let it soak on the scalp for 15 min., then shampoo out with your regular brand, or just rinse it out and condition if you have seriously damaged hair, and the minoxidil AM and PM. If you don’t have super short hair, you don’t want the minoxidil foam….very hard to control and apply just to the scalp. The drops are much easier to control. And the Ovation cell therapy as directed (I use it the days I don’t do the Nizoral treatment).

• kim May 25, 2015, 8:40 pm

I have red hair but its thin will it help my hair. ?

• Randy Schueller May 26, 2015, 10:48 am

Kim and Robyn: As we said it appears to be a good conditioner but there’s no evidence that it will help grow more hair or thicker hair.

• Robyn Lawson May 26, 2015, 8:55 am

My hair doesnt grow much never has but my hair is really thinning with age would the cell therapy help me

• Lorena Chavez June 9, 2015, 9:53 pm

I with all honesty do not like the shampoo or conditioner. It has caused my hair to dry so bad that my hair dresser is in shock from one month to the next. I also notice hair loss with the product. I want my money back.

• carole June 20, 2015, 10:13 am

did you try moisturizing shampoo or shampoo for color treated hair

• Sue Culpepper June 20, 2015, 2:25 pm

Have used all 3 products twice, and notice my hair is very dry and the curling iron barely curls my hair as it previously did with my regular shampoo and rinse. Also, slightly more hair loss in the sink strainer after washing. Will continue until I run out, to see if there is any lasting improvement, and then make a decision whether to continue use, or not.

• mary March 1, 2016, 4:29 am

your hair has become very dry, doesn’t curl like it used to and is falling out more, yet you’re going to continue to use it?

• concern July 24, 2015, 10:25 pm

Is this products only for women, or can be used by men?

• Randy Schueller July 25, 2015, 6:39 pm

It can be used by anyone.

• Bailey April 2, 2016, 1:20 pm

They have a therapy cell system line just for men too.

• Dee, please help!!!! August 9, 2015, 11:39 am

I have tried nioxion on my hair, I have tried every expensive shampoos and conditioners. I get my hair foiled blond. Since I turned a certain age and all my medications my hair is falling out and braking off!!! I’m am sick of this and all upset. I was going to try the ovation hair cell therapy line, and not sure what to do. If that is not a good idea PLEASE TELl ME WHAT TO BUY!! Thank you!!!!

• Trying to help someone I love August 20, 2015, 11:28 pm

Have you had any luck finding something that works?

• Angela March 22, 2016, 8:05 pm

Along with the right shampoo and cinditioner, biotin and collagen pills are very helpful. Nature’s Bounty Hair Skin and Nails excellent good price at Costco

• Marnie September 13, 2015, 4:03 pm

I’ve been using the products for about 2 years because my hair was slowly shedding — I’d find too many hairs in the shower drain. As soon as I started using Ovation, the shedding stopped, like immediately. Since I’m on a fixed income, the price is a lot for me. I stopped using it and went back to the store brands, and right away I noticed hair in the drain. When I went back to Ovation, it stopped. So Ovation is doing something. I don’t like the conditioner though – it doesn’t detangle and seems of no benefit. I occasionally use the cell therapy. It makes my hair thicker and smells like coconut for a while. My hair is very fine and thin, and I can’t see that I’m growing more hair or longer hair, but Ovation does seem to stop the shedding.

• Izzy September 19, 2015, 11:28 am

I actually had a wonderful experience. As someone who is constantly coloring, bleaching, and drying out my hair, I first heard of Ovation through my boyfriend. Picked it up a few weeks later for a cheaper price at one of our fairs. As soon as I started using it there was immediate results. My hair was no longer shedding all over the place and in a few weeks to a month my hair was getting longer. This of course is a personal experience and it might not work the same for everyone, but for the price to me it’s worth it because no other product including salon professional has made such a stunning change.

• LORI September 20, 2015, 2:55 pm

I’ve used ovation therapy system and it really worked to make my hair grow and fuller. It’s just a bit pricey.
    I am African Indian and it dried my hair out something bad. Really hard to comb after using the shampoo.
    The conditioner and cell therapy is pretty good though.

• Nadine September 26, 2015, 11:33 am

I have a question for any of you that have already used this product. I have honestly tried it all. I did viviscal tablets, oil treatments 3x a week for 3/hrs, low level laser restoration, minoxidil, invanti hair care system, kerainique, and saw palmetto oil among other things. I’m really interested to try this product because it seems to work for a lot of people. I’m just wondering if anyone else uses this in conjunction with any other methods of hair loss treatment or products of the sort. I know on their site they recommend using their hair care products with it, but I didn’t hear anything good about their shampoo. What do you use?

• Susan Stewart October 5, 2015, 3:26 pm

I have been using the Ovation Cell Therapy for several years and am very pleased with the results. I don’t use their shampoo and conditioner because of the price, but I do buy salon-quality shampoo and conditioner to use with the Cell Therapy. After I wash and condition my hair in the shower, I put a little on my towel-dried hair, rubbing it into my scalp. Then I style it without other products. I’m in my 60s so thinning hair can be a problem. I have fine, thin, curly-frizzy hair and Cell Therapy has helped tremendously with all of these issues. The most exciting change was in the two areas in front, on the sides, that were bald – that area called “male patterned baldness.” No matter how I styled it, my thin hair was not able to hide these bald spots. After months of gently rubbing in the Cell Therapy there, as well as the rest of my hair, I began to see hair growing in those spots. It’s fine, and will never be long, but I don’t have bald spots anymore.

• Randy Schueller October 5, 2015, 6:12 pm

I’m happy to hear you’re having such good results! (I just can’t explain them because there’s nothing in this formula that has been proven to regrow hair.)

• Wendy Wagner November 15, 2015, 6:40 pm

How often are you using the cell therapy? Every time you shower or 2 – 3 times a week like the directions? I’ve just started using the products and am concerned with all of the comments about hair loss with the products. I also have fine, thin, curly hair and have the “male pattern baldness.”

• lupe October 9, 2015, 2:12 pm

i am in need of a good hair treatment i am young i have thin hair i cant get my hair to grow i want something tgat can really help
    i have dry hair … it also scares me because i dont want to keep loosing hair so has someone with really thin hair have you used it and has it worked i want to make my money worth

• Dave janko October 9, 2015, 7:30 pm

Can cell therapy in any way possibly cause sexual side effects? Ive dealt with that before and really would rather avoid that. Also what is the difference between that and the mens cell therapy?

• Belinda November 28, 2015, 12:32 pm

I’ve been using Ovation Hair Therapy for almost a year now, and my hair has displayed no improvement. In fact, I feel it’s falling out! After reviewing so successful experiences, from other users, I’ve determined that the products don’t necessarily give all users the same results. With that in mind, I’m currently in the market for another option. Does anyone have suggestions? I’m so unhappy with my thinning and falling-out hair! Help Please!!!

• Bailey April 2, 2016, 1:21 pm

You would contact them as they have a money back guarentee.

• JewelryMaker December 4, 2015, 12:26 pm

It worked for me !!! Been using it for more than two years. My hair was very thin and dry. I saw an improvement within months and will continue to use it. I do use other things on my scalp only to stimulate growth. You don’t have to use much and I don’t shampoo every day. Only once a week!! I also put on a plastic cap with the cream rinse and leave it on for awhile. It works for me!!!!

• Ana December 6, 2015, 8:08 am

How to use the cell therapy??? In shower or after shower????

• Randy Schueller December 6, 2015, 4:46 pm

I believe most of their products are in shower but you should follow the directions on the bottle.

• Tess Tiernan December 13, 2015, 6:42 pm

Love this product! I have used for 3 years – very fine hair, lots of spaces on scalp – My beautician first mentioned after 2-3 months of use – what is going on – thicker, curler, more body. I love all three products- use daily. I am a cheerleader!

• AJAE December 19, 2015, 3:45 pm

Hi I am almost 30 and I have three kids. Each day my hair seems to get more and more brittle and is always falling out when I brush it. I have thin, long , curly hair. Does anyone have any suggestions. Please help

• Goldie January 5, 2016, 3:02 pm

Just started ovation today it made my hair feel thicker after first use I will leave the cell therapy in over night and leave in and wash out in the morning lets see what happens

• Quendessa Hopwood January 9, 2016, 9:53 pm

Can African American lady use this product. Does it help grow patches of hair back again.

• ang January 28, 2016, 7:27 pm

This sounds like dove men care thicken with caffeine, it only adds volume.
    Women use men’s products, but hair dyes for men is extremely expensive., does Rogan work?!

• Karin January 30, 2016, 8:55 am

I would like to suggest to all, to have your thyroid checked. Hair loss is a symptom of thyroid disease. Thyroid disease is a serious condition and we all should be sure it is not an issue for ones health.
    Having said that, my thyroid tests have come back within normal levels, so I am planning to try this product for my limp, brittle hair. I have many of the same complaints as most of you.
    Another suggestion I have is that anyone who has had worsening hair loss, while using the Ovation (or similar) products, to be diligent in the rinsing process; especially with conditioning products. I feel poor rinsing of conditioner was the cause of cradle-cap, which my daughter got when she first took over her own showering and shampooing needs. I feel the conditioner was not being rinsed out completely and possibly clogged the hair follicles. I’m just theorizing, but once I got rid of her cradle-cap, and stressed to her the need to rinse better, that problem never returned.
    Here is something I found after googling possible reasons for hair loss…
    >Your hair follicles are slowly becoming plug and preventing hair from growing out
    >Your hair is not receiving the nutrients it needs to grow and stay strong
    >Your hair is not getting enough blood circulating in your scalp
    Good luck to all of us!

• khandi February 11, 2016, 8:46 am

I purchased the Ovation Cell Therapy line;the Christmas holiday special. This special consist of the Leave-in Detangler, Wet-Dry Brush, Volume Therapy shampoo, Moisturizing Conditioner, & Cell Therapy Hair n Scalp Treatment. My hair was already in a damaged state from using a perm and it being left in for too long. Plus my hair was already shedding and thinning. So I decided to use these products for 1 month and followed the instructions to a “T”. I used wide-tooth combs, plastic bristle brushes, and would wash, braid and tie-up my hair to not add any added stress to it. All I noticed was my hair was falling out even more so. I was devastated!! For me to spend this type money on hair products is unusual, so to take this chance and get this type of result is heartbreaking……. Geeeeeezzzzzzz

• Selva February 11, 2016, 3:28 pm

Hair loss is a symptom of something else going on in your body! There are some serious things connected to it. Do your homework! Google “damp spleen” and be shocked. Many of the symptoms people are describing are due to just that: a damp spleen. How do you fix it? Your diet! What are you putting in your mouth!? 75% of our diet should be veggies! The core problem has many consequences such as hormonal imbalances (causing hair loss); estrogen overload (causing hair loss); thyroid disturbances (causing hair loss). You get the idea.

On that note, aside from changing my diet and seeing an acupuncturist who practices Traditional Chinese Medicine, I’ve tried Ovation Cell Therapy and had excellent results. I had NEW, most noticeable, fine baby hairs, grow at the temples. I have the beginnings of a widows’ peak and thinning throughout.

Tried Wen and it was just awful! Lost more hair, so sweetie them off.

Good luck everyone!

• Shirley Smyth April 1, 2016, 3:30 pm

So I’ve been using Ovation treatment for three to four years now. I’m a 49 year old woman and my hair has been falling out(not in clumps, just badly thinning and pulling out at the ends) for unknown reasons for a few years now. This kit has not slowed down the hair loss, unfortunately. It may have slightly thickened my hair; nothing dramatic. What I’ve liked about it is the frizz control; much better than other expensive shampoos I’ve used. The smell is delightful, and almost year round they offer a gift box full of freebies along with the system(Christmas/Valentine’s Day/ Easter/Mother’s Day/etc. So buy it then, it’s cheaper.

• Elisha April 6, 2016, 10:53 pm

Hey i was wondering, does this product work on tightly coiled hair?