Does Poo Pourri really prevent bathroom odors?

Lexi says…I typically skip over YouTube commercials but I saw one yesterday that mesmerized me – some British chick talking about a product called “Poo Pourri” that covers up bathroom odors. The commercial looks like a total joke but apparently it’s a real product. Is this any better than a regular air freshener? Enlighten us oh Beauty Brains!

The Beauty Brains respond

Update: After I wrote this post, Poo Pourri contacted me and offered to send free samples for us to try. We’ve been using them at the Beauty Brains headquarters and have been pleasantly surprised at how well the products work. While we haven’t done any scientific testing, these products certainly do appear to get the job done!

We have to admit this entire advertising campaign does have the feel of an elaborate put on. (Check out the video for yourself…) However, if their website is to be believed, this is indeed a legitimate product.

What is Poo Pourri?

The product is a non-aerosol mixture of essential fragrance oils which is sprayed into the toilet bowl prior to the dirty deed. (As opposed to traditional scented products which are sprayed in the air afterwords.) Their tagline is “spritz the bowl before you go and no one else will ever know.” According to their website the product’s essential oils cover the water in the toilet bowl with a fragrant film. When your “astronauts splashdown” (that’s from the commercial – we couldn’t make this stuff up) the film traps their odors below the water level.

Could this stuff really work?

We opted out of any elaborate consumer testing on this one and instead will comment on some of the theoretical aspects of how fragrances work. This product certainly uses a clever approach. Applying a film on the water to seal in orders in theory could help reduce some of the scent problem. And since the fragrance oils have a higher coefficient of diffusion then the “bad odors” they should lift up and fill the room helping to mask those smells that do escape.

While this approach should work with just about any liquid fragrance product we presume that Poo Pourri has optimized their oil-to-fragrance ratio to get the right balance of the toilet bowl coverage and fragrance “bloom.” It’s unlikely that a traditional air freshener would have enough oil and while you could use your favorite perfume (which contains up to 20% oil) it will be a very expensive alternative. (You’d be better off by diluting perfume with another oil.)

The Beauty Brains bottom-line

There is enough fragrance science at work here to suggest that Poo Pourri may provide a unique benefit in the bathroom air freshening category. If anyone is brave enough to give it a try leave a comment and let us know what you stink…uh, think.

• milkshake October 16, 2014, 7:51 am

We got it as a gift (gag gift really). We had very low expectations but it surprisingly works quite well.

• np October 16, 2014, 8:29 am

it works. it is fantastic. I have been using it for 5 years or so.

• Angela October 16, 2014, 10:34 am

There’s another product called Just a Drop and we’ve used it in the past – it does work amazingly well!

• elizabeth October 16, 2014, 10:38 am

please try some elaborate consumer testing! You won’t be disappointed ; )

• Amber October 16, 2014, 2:12 pm

It really does work! We vacation in Outer Banks with about ten people in one house and always take this stuff with us. It’s amazing.

• Joli October 17, 2014, 1:14 am

It’s works. The scent is a very strong lemon that isnt synthetic smelling. It shouldn’t be, since it’s made from essential oils. It’s pledant but not over powering.

And if you do forget to use it beforehand, a spritz in the bowl after is still more effective than aerosol air fresheners.

• Robyn October 17, 2014, 8:21 am

I didn’t try the product, itself, but after seeing the video (someone posted on Facebook) I decided to try a fragrance I had bought but ended up not liking because it was too strong. It worked amazingly well! I keep that bottle in the water closet and a couple of spritzes keeps the bathroom smelling sweet! Ran across another bottle of fragrance in the back of a cabinet…too old to wear but not to use like Poopourri…it’s in the powder room now. (If you’re given a spray sample of perfume you end up not caring for, put it in your purse and use it when away from home!)

• amy October 20, 2014, 3:40 pm

I think lighting a match works just fine. it cancels out the odor without using perfumes. but I could see poo pourri being a good alternative in places where matches might not be allowed.

• Dave December 27, 2014, 6:39 am

My daughter bought some, perhaps because because I was coming to visit and I have Crohns disease so she knew I would be spending a lot of time in that part of the small house and that no amount of aerosol nor small jet powered bathroom exhaust fan could overcome the stench I could create. It works. It is amazing. I am going to try and find a bottle for each bathroom at home on my return trip and possibly the small pocket sized one to carry with me so restaurant owners will once again allow me to eat in their establishments without locking the doors to the loo.

• Kelli February 24, 2015, 1:02 pm

The video for this product is HILARIOUS!! I watched it 3 times and I think part of what makes it so funny, aside from what is actually being said, is the oh so proper English accent. Its definitely a commercial you will remember and probably tell your friends about due to the hilarity. That’s great advertising in itself. That fact that it worked so well will keep people buying it.

At first I though it was a joke but they sell this at a couple places where I live and the stuff really does work.

• Randy Schueller February 24, 2015, 1:15 pm

I agree. The actress is perfect for this commercial. And the product works surprisingly well!

• Erika Slater May 16, 2016, 1:33 am

I have seen this in store’s in the past and thought, “how funny” gave a laugh then moved on thinking it a gag gift of sorts. I have tummy troubles so you can imagine all the fun that goes with that. I live with my boyfriend and all tho he is amuned to me now I still feel very aware of me. More so when I am out and about. If the need to excuse my self arises all I can hear is my boyfriends words repeating in my head “how can something so beautiful make something so foul?!” and although sprays or fans help-ish I do not like the heavy fog some products leave behind. Its bad enough getting the I know what you did in there looks. Adding fake on top of it does not help. So I am going to find a store local to me that carries this. I am very excited to do so. I am used to my brand but do not want to scar an unexpecting bathroom neighbor. I do not want to walk in there back yard and am sure they feel the same of mine lol hope all of what I have been reading is true. Will up day soon.