Can ant oil really reduce hair growth?

Rozy says…There is this product called Tala Ant Egg oil, sounds fishy to me, but I am wishing it to be true!

The Beauty Brains reply

Just when we thought we’d heard it all, here comes the invasion of the ants. Tala’s Ant Egg oil is one of several products that claims to use the oil recovered from crushed ant pupae to reduce hair growth. In addition the Tala product claims to be “tested with doctors” and “completely safe with no side effects.” Is this product “excell-ant” or just ant-agonizing?

What is Ant oil?

We’re cosmetic chemists, not entomologists, but as far as we’ve been able to figure out Ant egg oil is really furan-2-carbaldehyde which also known as Furfural. Apparently this stuff is a “red brown liquid and it has a sour fragrant ant smell.” That’s surprising considering that Furfural is used in cosmetics as a fragrance additive! Maybe that’s not a problem since furfural can also be derived from several non-ant sources including wheat bran.

Regardless of the source, we couldn’t find ANY published data suggesting it’s effective in reducing hair growth. If this product was “tested with doctors” as Tala states then results haven’t been published in any of the standard peer reviewed data bases. (As always, if someone can find a legitimate study to the contrary we’d be happy to revise this post to reflect the new data.)

Is Ant Egg Oil safe for skin?

Not only does furfural (apparently) not reduce hair growth but this stuff may not be that good for your skin. It’s a known skin irritant (at high concentrations) and long term exposure can lead to skin allergy and increased sunburn. Even worse, there’s some concern that it may have carcinogenic properties. As a fragrance additive, furfural is typically used levels are around 0.036%. A safety study reported by the SCCNFP (SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEE ON COSMETIC PRODUCTS AND NON-FOOD PRODUCTS INTENDED FOR CONSUMERS) says that ”The maximum exposure stated by RIFM does not represent any significant cancer risk. However, the exposure should not be increased.” Use levels in ant egg oil creams are substantially higher than this since its the first ingredient listed in the ingredient list. In other words, there’s not much to worry about if it’s in your perfume at very low levels but it’s not a good idea as a main component in a skin creme.

The Beauty Brains bottom line

I can’t find ANY research which indicates ant egg oil has an effect on hair growth but I do find at least one report indicating that there are some potential dangers associated with using it on the skin at high concentrations. I’d stick with a product like Vaniqua which is proven to slow the growth of facial hair on women.

Ant Egg Oil Ingredients:

Ant Egg Oil, Aqua,Glyceryl Stearate (and) Ceteareth-20 Ceteareth-12( and) Cetearyl Alcohol(and)Cetyl Palmitate,Herbal Extract,Dicaprylyl Carbonate,Hexyldecanol &Hexyldecayl Laurate, Glyceryl monostearate,Glycerin,Prpyle Glycol,Dimethicone, Fragrance,Phenoxiethanol,1-2-dibroma-2,4-dicyanobutane and CIT/MIT, Chamaemelum arvensis

Do you want to buy Ant Egg Oil cream? Probably not. But if you click this link for Tala Ant Egg Oil and then buy ANY product, the Beauty Brains receive a small commission which helps defray some of the costs of running our website. Thank you!

• Chris December 11, 2014, 11:54 am

Fire ant oil is probably even better!

• Jahlib Rivera August 7, 2015, 1:15 pm

Im very hairy men, and some times i used to wax my back. I bought tala. Im waxed again and used like they said. Im noticed a considerable reduction in my back hair growth. Its thinner now. I will wax again soon. If you want i can report the progress.

• Piyush July 20, 2016, 2:12 pm

Plzz reply to ur results
      On tala ant egg oil

• kate September 26, 2015, 10:50 pm

I dont think you have the right ingredient in mind. I’ve used this oil and it has reduced the hair greatly. It is also not red or brown or fragrant at all.

• lisaa December 9, 2015, 7:45 pm

Hi can you report the progress please?? I’m also hairy and readings this blog’s makes me confused.. does this thing really work?

• Pkl January 25, 2016, 4:21 am

Does it removed hair permanently ?

• Randy Schueller January 25, 2016, 7:33 am

There’s not enough information on ant oil to know for sure but any process that attacks the bulb of the hair could be permanent or semipermanent.

• Ali Khar February 15, 2016, 2:08 am

Amazing product as I used it for six months and get rid of unwanted hair permanently and I would like to suggest you people to use it..If you need any suggestion mail me khar14@hotmail.com

• Ismail March 24, 2016, 5:01 pm

I am using this oil since 5 days, i think its reducing hair growth.

• Janet July 9, 2016, 12:18 am

Does it removed facial hair because my face have more hairs I want to use that oil. If its reduce hair or not. Please help me.

• Nacer July 29, 2016, 1:21 pm

I like how MR Randy Schueller keep telling everyone in comments that the oild doesn’t work and there is “no progress” after he said “there are no data” , and thought people gave testaments that it worked for them . we understood that you said there is a danger on skin but how can you say it doesn’t work when you don’t have enough data ? this oil is used for thousand years in east , there are even traditions when the new baby is born they use the oil on his/her whole body so he/she doesn’t get so hairy after growing up . women using it for too long in there , I don’t know why they used it if it didn’t work as you keep telling.

• Randy Schueller July 29, 2016, 1:24 pm

Your reasoning that something has been used for a long time and therefore it must work is a logical fallacy called “argument from antiquity.” We’re more than happy to change our mind about ant oil if anyone can point us to scientific evidence that it really works.

• kavy September 13, 2016, 7:01 am

hey randy,

who are the best n effective productof permanent hair removel plz tell me

• evelin October 6, 2016, 8:29 pm

I have facial hair hair which is very dissapointing…will this product help me

• Randy Schueller October 6, 2016, 9:15 pm

I believe not. We could find no evidence showing this product really works. I say don’t waste your money on it.