Why is Moroccan oil such a big deal in hair and skin products? Episode 110

Support the Beauty Brains by signing up for a free trial at Audible.comOlive_oil_from_Oneglia

Perry and I are taking a little time off to celebrate the holidays. In the meantime, please listen to this LOST EPISODE to hear Sara Bellum and Left Brain talk about Moroccan oil in beauty products.

• Sabrina December 4, 2015, 11:40 am

Hi there!

I loved your podcast, and I think you guys do an incredible job.

I just thought I’d drop a lengthy side-comment about your information on the green tea study. I lived in Taiwan for a year, teaching English, so I have a years’ worth of experience of drinking delicious, fresh green tea and oolong tea – and I also majored in Nutritional Science in college. I thought it was interesting that you dismissed naturally brewed tea as inferior to the supplement form.

First, I will say that nutrients in supplement form will be treated differently in your digestive system than in their natural form. In nutritional science, the consensus is that nutrients in their natural form are better than in supplement form. Now, this is complicated, since the supplement industry in America is also very unregulated, and you cannot actually guarantee that what they advertise is actually inside that pill-form supplement. Even natural food varies in nutritional value, since their nutritional content depends on the soil they grew in, the nutrients they received from elsewhere, the weather, etc. BUT – in general, nutrients absorbed in their natural state in food is preferable.

However, despite all this, I wouldn’t ever venture to say that your store-bought green tea bags are at all better than a supplement. Why? Because my experience in Taiwan showed me what tea actually is. Real green tea is not at all consumed the way Americans consume it. Fresh green tea leaves are much, much different than the processed, crushed, preserved stuff that Americans buy – and you can really taste the difference, too. Green tea is not crushed in East Asia – it is rolled and dried and roasted (lightly or not at all, depending on the kind), and then – when properly prepared – it is infused into hot (not boiling) water. The dried leaves open up in the water and release their taste and nutrients into the water. Another factor to consider is the nutrient/mineral build-up in the clay tea pots used to brew tea. Usually, one never washes clay tea pots with soap and water. People use the clay tea pots over and over to help build up the nutrients in the clay tea pots, which then improves the taste and value of the tea they drink over time.

Another thing to add is that before every tea brewing session, one should rinse the dried tea leaves with hot water to rinse off any pesticides or unwanted particles in the tea before infusing it and drinking it. This is an important step in traditional tea-brewing that Americans never do.

So, in conclusion: the way we brew and drink tea in America is vastly different than the methods used to brew and drink tea in East Asia. The way we drink it in the West is not nearly as beneficial to our health. I don’t think it is fair to compare PROPERLY brewed green tea to green tea supplements (which are unregulated in America). Did this study you mentioned also analyze the contents of the green tea supplement itself? I’d like to know that as well! 🙂

• Randy Schueller December 4, 2015, 11:43 am

Thanks Sabrina. I’m interested to see if Perry…uh I mean “Left Brain” will follow up on this.

• Eileen December 7, 2015, 10:30 am

Thank you, Sabrina, for all the information about the fresh green tea you experienced in Taiwan versus the green tea commonly sold in the US and probably in most other non-Asian countries. I think it is obvious that comparing supplements to an Asian style fresh green tea beverage would not be the same as comparing supplements to an American style processed green tea beverage, but your information explained why those differences in tea preparation would have an impact.

Since I live in the US and only have easy access to the green tea typically marketed in this country, the information that The Brains provided is pertinent to my situation, but if I had access to the type of tea that you experienced in Taiwan, then you’d be my green tea guru 🙂 Thanks again, Sabrina, for the interesting comments.

• Dani December 7, 2015, 1:04 pm

Eileen,
      If there is an Asian grocery store near you, you could most likely find higher quality green tea there. It won’t be quite as fresh as in Taiwan, but a huge step up from grocery store tea bags.

• Eileen December 8, 2015, 10:35 am

Thank you for the suggestion, Dani. There are Asian grocieries nearby so I’ll take a look 🙂

• Paul August 16, 2016, 8:24 am

Thanks for the interesting audio cast.

It was interesting to hear your comparisons of Olive and Argan Oil based on the Oleic acid content. I think you were proposing they may have similar effects based on this. BUT…. you also should take into account the fact that Argan Oil has about twice the vitamin E/anti oxidant content of olive and also a loads of plant sterols as well as compounds like arganine which I think are unique to Argan.

Argan also contains Ursolic acid which has been shown to help boost collagen production ( study details at bottom of this page http://arganoildirect.com/collagen-boosting-the-benefits-of-argan-oil-and-topical-vitamin-c ). Olive oil only has ursolic acid in “trace quantities”.

Finally… in Morocco – which is rich in very high quality Olive oils – Moroccan women still choose Argan even though it is much more expensive. For hair Olive oil is widely used in Morocco.

Regards
    Paul

• Randy Schueller August 16, 2016, 4:48 pm

Hi Paul. I tried to follow the link but the only technical paper I found was one discussing the composition of organ oil. Do you have a link to any studies showing that it provides benefits when applied topically to skin? Thanks.