Are you sick of greenwashed cosmetics? Episode 129

In this encore episode we discuss why cosmetic companies STILL make so many fake natural products. There are a few main reasons:2674778713_8fc9a93f77_o

• True natural consumers are still a small market segment
  • All-natural cosmetics do not work as well
  • Consumers don’t know the difference
  • Greenwashing keeps costs down
  • There are no required standards

Click here to read the show notes.

• Paula April 21, 2016, 7:42 pm

The first company that came to mind is Aveda (which I like some of their products.) But they are just like everyone else, but with some added botanicals.

• Randy Schueller April 22, 2016, 7:15 am

For what it’s worth, Aveda does do things with sustainable energy that most companies do not.

• Dani May 10, 2016, 11:05 am

Thank for drawing this to my attention! I enjoy some of their products and I’ll feel a little better about spending slightly more on them knowing this.

• Alejandra May 30, 2016, 10:49 pm

I will never trust a company that bash other companies or spread misleanding information to sell. I actually avoid buying from them cause their ingredients lists are confusing and uncomplete, no greenwashing for me!

• Kim October 14, 2016, 4:43 pm

Hi, You’ve mentioned that these green washed hair products such as Herbal Essence, Organix (intentionally misspelled I suppose for some reason) don’t actually work and I find that to be true in my experience. Herbal Essence or other conventional brand product are very drying to my hair. But I have to mention that “green companies” such as Zatik Maca Conditioner (water, behentrimonium methosufate, coco betaine, cocos nucifera (extra virgin coconut) oil*, cetearyl alcohol, dl-panthenol (vitamin B5), jojoba protein, sorbitol, lepidium meyenii (maca root) extract*, behentrimonium chloride, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) oil*, tocopherol (natural vitamin E), astragalus membranaceus (astragalus) extract*, eleutherococcus senticosus (eluethero) extract*, equisetum arvense (horsetail) extract*, achillea millefolium (yarrow) extract*, citrus reticulata (mandarin) oil*, aniba rosaeodora (rosewood) oil*, glucono delta lactone, myroxylon balsamum (peru balsam) oil, sorbic acid, citric acid) and Zion Health White Coconut shampoos are some of the best I’ve used. I don’t think real green products should be written off so easily just because other giant companies such as Loreal or other well known brands are merely using green as a marketing ploy.

• Randy Schueller October 15, 2016, 7:58 am

We didn’t say that all green washed hair products don’t work. in fact, the examples you mentioned work perfectly fine. Our point is that you can be tricked into spending more on green washed product.

• Kim October 17, 2016, 5:18 pm

Oh, gotcha! Thanks for your quick response. Yes, I completely agree to that statement about being tricked into spending more on a green washed products. And that’s just it, certain companies are marketing green, and most times the consumer is better off not purchasing it (also for the planet). But there’s so many of them its overwhelming and your podcast helps to decipher those labels and debunk those claims, so Thanks for your podcast!