What you should know about head lice and hair color

Fawn’s Fervent About Head Lice:

I was wondering if it is safe to put commercial lice treatment shampoos, Rid or Licex, on newly dyed hair. How long should you wait after treatment to dye your hair? Also, does the dye provide any lice protection?

The Left Brain Is Picky About Nits:

Thanks for your questions, Fawn. Hopefully these answers will help:

1) Without going into a lot of hair dye history, let’s just say that you should avoid using ANY shampoo on freshly dyed hair. That’s because the washing process removes a lot of dye. If you can, wait at least a couple of days before you shampoo.

2) You can have your hair dyed the next day after lice treatment. The active ingredients will essentially be washed away when you shampoo again. And even if a little is left behind, that shouldn’t interfere with the dying process.

3) While the dye itself won’t keep lice away AFTER you color, if there are any on your hair during the coloring process the high pH should scare the little buggers away.

If you want to learn more, you can also read our posts on lice shampoos and the new louse buster!

• Aliza November 18, 2015, 11:45 pm

Hi, very nice and informative post. now these days very common problem with every children and mother are worry about your children for this problem. this post very helpful, specially for mothers. thanks for sharing with us.

Regard
    Holistic | Head Lice Treatment

• Staci July 4, 2016, 5:33 pm

I used a home remedy for lice it was tea tree oil with olive oil and clarifying shampoo …is it ok to color my hair after this treatment

• Lissette September 13, 2016, 2:34 pm

I just dyed my hair and while I was removing the dye I found a lice on my hair but my hair was check and I don’t have nothing can I still put a treament on my hair even after just in case

• Frankie March 19, 2017, 4:08 pm

Ok, my question is: Can you dye your hair AFTER you’ve gotten rid of lice in the same day?

• Peggy July 5, 2017, 3:12 pm

Is lice shampoo going to strip the hair color I already have on my hair? It was dyed 2 weeks ago.

thanks!

• Randy Schueller July 6, 2017, 7:34 am

I’m not aware of any interaction of lice shampoo with hair color so it should be fine. Even if your color faded a little bit wouldn’t it be worth it to deal with the lice problem?

• Sara July 24, 2017, 9:43 am

So i had 2 use melethion lice treatment which has like 73% alcohol nd pine oil….is it safe 2 color my hair red

• Amber Botamer August 16, 2017, 11:06 am

I also used Melathion (Ovide) and am wondering if I can dye my hair. I know it’s super flammable and potent!