The big lie about tanning lotions

Jessica admits to committing a beauty sin: she tans indoors. She’s been told that in order to maximize your skin’s ability to tan, you should use an indoor tanning lotion. They have ingredients such as Tyrosine that are supposed to make you tan faster/better, as opposed to regular body lotion. She wants to know if the ingredients in indoor tanning lotions make a difference in how you tan.

The Right Brain responds:

Jessica, Jessica, Jessica. We’ll skip the lecture about how bad tanning is for your skin and instead we’ll just jump right in and start bashing tanning accelerators. To put it scientifically, these tyrosine tanners are bulls**t. The companies that sell pills and lotions with tryosine claim that they stimulate the production of melanin, the natural pigment that makes you look tan. Unfortunately, that’s just not true.

How Tyrosine In Your Body Is Good For Your Tan

It is true that tyrosine plays a role in the tanning process. It’s an amino acid that your body forms by breaking down the protein you eat. This amino acid is then broken down by an enyzme called tryosinase that is formed by melanin-producing cells in your skin known as melanocytes. This reaction converts tyrosine into a chemical called DOPA. DOPA reacts further to form Dopaquinone which in turn forms the different types of melanin. (Eumelanin is black-brown and pheomelanin is yellow-red.) This chain reaction is triggered when your skin is exposed to UV light.

How Tyrosine in Tanning Pills and Lotions Is Bad

But taking pills with tyrosine or rubbing a tyrosine lotion on your skin doesn’t really help the process. In fact, according to the American Cancer Society, Tanning accelerators, such as those formulated with the amino acid tyrosine or tyrosine derivatives, are ineffective … evidence suggests they don’t work. FDA considers them unapproved new drugs that have not been proven safe and effective. It makes sense if you think about it – swallowing a chemical like tyrosine or rubbing it on your skin doesn’t necessarily make it available to the right metabolic pathways.

So shame on all the companies out there marketing tyrosine-based products! Shame on you Hawaiin Tropic Tan 2 Max. Shame on you Reviva Sun Tan Protection Lotion. And shame on YOU, Bio-tan Sunless Tanner.

The Brains Bottom Line: Don’t waste your money on tyrosine tanning accelerators, they don’t do anything special for your tan.

• Janelle January 17, 2015, 1:30 pm

This is seven years old now but thank you! I learnt that process in a Human Diversity Anthropology class and nearly came to blows with the girl at the tanning salon telling me it was nearly necessary in order to improve my tan.

• Hagi December 19, 2015, 4:01 am

Try to claim something just prove how stupid you can be.first you coppy entry level wikipedia value for melanon pathway ,than you stupidly contradict yourself that tyrosin will not work if it comes in a form of pill or lotion.without any serious back up.so it does work in fact bringing tyrosin in proximity to the melanocyts in any form acts mucj better than from digested whole protain.sojessica dont listen to those expert in dime.continue to tan and use tyrodine base accelerators and you even be safer than not tanning at all

• Kristen June 10, 2016, 2:32 pm

Tanning beds are unsafe however, tyrosine is fantastic. I am pale but do not burn… or tan easily. Tyrosine in lotions doesn’t seem to be super effective (probably because its not a large amount and its being absorbed thro the skin). Pills however are the only way I have ever got a tan.

• Quentin August 20, 2016, 5:11 pm

I would just like to say that whomever created this post is absolutely incorrect. I am an assistant manager at a tanning salon and I have been doing an experiment to prove that using a lotion with tyrosine in it, does indeed work.
    I apply a lotion in my left arm and I leave my right arm with nothing on it. After only 2 weeks, there is a significant difference in my skin tones.
    So, do not bash something if you haven’t tried it.
    Our “lotions” are actually referred to as “skin care” now, most of the products that we sell fight all of the signs of aging 100% and our skin care products also significantly the risk of melanoma.
    So again, please do some research before bashin something how you did 🙂

• Randy Schueller August 20, 2016, 10:03 pm

We did do research – and so did the FDA who says these products are ineffective, unapproved drugs. So who should we believe – the FDA who’s job is to protect consumers or someone who makes their living from selling tanning products? You decide.

• Erin September 11, 2016, 7:13 pm

Dear, every other week the FDA changes its stance on whether or not eggs have health benefits. If it serves a government agenda, the FDA says it either doesn’t work or will kill you. I’m a holistic specialist and I can tell you, while Tyrosine isn’t the best thing you can use, it works in high enough amounts, with the right supporting ingredients. i.e. You need to increase dopa circulation to promote dual melanin production. Then you need to increase circulation to your capillaries and therefore oxygenation. This process mimics your skin’s natural tanning process. Then use an extending lotion with a good ATO inhibitor after you tan to sustain hydration and inhibit cancerous cell growth. I have found Designer Skin & California Tan to have the best ingredients all around. Both are from the same mother company.

Tip: It is best to use both a tingling lotion and a lotion that increases melanin production through Dopa, and has bronzes that work both instantly and long term. This helps circulate the dopa (or dopa increasing substance) through the capillaries when they open and provide even distribution. If you live close enough to your salon (Within 15 mins), shower with hot water for 15 minutes to open pores. Then apply tingling lotion. Wait 5 minutes and dress. Then apply bronzing/optimizing lotion when you get to salon. This will promote maximum capillary circulation, skin oxygenation, and transport of melanin producing agents. Make sure your bronzer is not cooling, because that will work to reverse the process. That being said, it’s not a bad idea to keep a cooling bronzer or other deep moisturizing cooling extender with you in case the tingle gets too strong (for those who aren’t used to it). It won’t completely fix it but will dull the sensation. Eat your Omega 3s & a high beta carotene diet for skin hydration and increased help with darker pigmentation. Use your ATO inhibiting moisturizer daily after shower (Luke warm on non tanning days). The best ones also have caffeine and oxygen. Vitamin A,B, C, D, & E are a good idea to increase in your diet if you tan a lot especially. Also, don’t forget your good fats! They’re essential to hydration. Just grab a good prenatal vitamin with folic acid and that should help with all those. For added moisture, use deep tanning oil with Vitamin E (the Walmart stuff you usually see people use at the beach) mixed with a good serum lotion with Vitamin C throughout the day if you feel you need a moisture boost. (Overusing the tan extending lotion any other time than post shower actually just wastes it because your skin needs HEAT to properly absorb most kinds properly) Not to mention, the $7 Banana Boat stuff extends the use of serums significantly. Bonus if your serum contains caffeine or white tea, and avocado, safflower, Jajoba, apricot, and coconut oils.

I honestly like to mix the Banana boat with the solar recover line when I’m on a tight budget (bath products as well except I use Tiny Bubbles shave lather), or add a couple drops of Lancome’s Absolue Oil (face) & (per each extremity) a dime-quarter size portion of their Renergie Night Cream (more expensive) with the Banana Boat to Deep Steep lotions (lemongrass & jasmine in particular) & the H20 hydration spray to finish for either.

When I first started tanning, I went almost every day. Now I go once-twice a month with the diet and moisture regiment above. I’m 30 with no stretch marks, wrinkles, or imperfections. My complexion is normally medium to soft tan. I look Hispanic all month.

Some of my friends mix these ideas with adding Jergens firming and BB body perfecting creams (both the natural glow color enhancing ones) with very good results. The new ones seem to be a lot better when they first came out (a lot less smell and little to no rub off). I haven’t tried them myself.

I’m not advising anyone to tan. I also have a nursing degree so I know what too much sun can do. If you’re gonna do it, do it right, protect your skin with SPF if outdoors and time limits in singers as well as the right moisturizers and diet to prolong results (thus reducing overall exposure) and reducing signs of aging.

Hope you all enjoyed actual medical advise. I swear. Everyone is so biased on each side of the “do tan/don’t tan” divide. Everything in moderation and with proper guidance, folks! It’s the key to food, finance, skin care, sun care…you name it!