Why body mint is a disappoint-mint

Jennifer wants an odor eater: I’m intrigued by a product called Body Mint, which claims that it reduces body odor of all kinds (underarm, breath, foot) from the inside out using chlorophyll. Is this a scam?

The Left Brain clears the air:

What is Bodymint?

As you can see from their website, Body Mint tablets “are made from an all-natural, highly specialized, derivative of chlorophyll” and their “unique formulation give it the uncommon power to reduce body odors from multiple sources, like bad breath, underarm and foot odor.” Sounds good, eh? But anything that sounds too good to be true usually is. Here’s the real scoop:

What is chlorophyll?

It’s the pigment that gives plants their green color. But more importantly, it allows them to use sunlight to manufacture the carbohydrates that all living things use as food. It can do this because the chemical bonds in the chlorophyll molecule can absorb visible light.

What does chlorophyll supposedly do?

According to one health food store pamphlet, chlorophyll can help cure trench mouth, tonsillitis, vaginitis, bladder diseases, high blood pressure, tooth decay, arthritis, athlete’s foot, constipation, rectal fissures and laryngitis. It also helps destroy bacteria and soothe gunshot wounds. I’m no doctor, but it seems to me that if you’re suffering from rectal fissures and gunshot wounds, a little bad breath is the LEAST of your problems!

What does chlorophyll really do?

Not much, according to Quackwatch, a scientific website that specializes in debunking false claims. Read for yourself…

Most claims that chlorophyll products can heal, kill bacteria, and remove odors are based on research performed early in the 20th century, before antibiotics were available to fight infections. Although many of these studies are considered invalid by modern scientific standards, there is evidence that chlorophyll can kill certain types of bacteria. It is not a practical choice, however, because very high concentrations are needed for any positive effect and modern antibiotics are far more effective anyway. Also, although chlorophyll kills some bacteria, it actually promotes the growth of others.

What about deodorizing properties?

Despite the sales hype, in products sold to the public, it doesn’t have any. According to John C. Kephart, who performed studies at the laboratories of The National Chlorophyll and Chemical Company about 20 years ago, “No deodorant effect can possibly occur from the quantities of chlorophyll put in products such as gum, foot powder, cough drops, etc. To be effective, large doses must be given internally” [Journal of Ecological Botany 9:3, 1955].

So, Jennifer, it looks like BodyMint is a scam. Don’t throw away your Listerine mouthwash or your Degree deodorant!

Why should you believe our brainy bashing of Body Mint?

The source of these Quackwatch quotes is an article written by Dr. Lowell who, at the time, was Professor of Life Sciences at Pima Community College in Tucson, Arizona and vice-president of the National Council Against Health Fraud.

• Laura October 25, 2014, 10:05 am

My father was big on vitamins and always had chlorophyll with mint in chewable tablets to help with garlic breath. As an adult, I too always have them on hand and definitely find they help. I bought the Body Mint and couldn’t say for sure if it worked to totally eliminate body odors, but my morning breath was lessened and in combination with using mineral salts instead of antiperspirant I didn’t find myself stinking by the end of the day (an obvious concern when stopping antipesrpirant use!). I’m switching to a less expensive version of the Body Mint, chlorofresh or some other chlorophyll tablet. I don’t think it can hurt!

• Jean January 8, 2015, 1:43 pm

You are so wrong! Body Mint does work. It works from the inside out to eliminate odor. The key is consistency with it, you have to take it daily. It works for me. I have some health issues that cause body odor and this is a blessing for me.

• Isaac April 14, 2015, 3:29 pm

You know you’re quoting an article from 1987, right?? 20 years later…

• Randy Schueller April 15, 2015, 12:19 pm

Hi Isaac. If you can point us to a more recent article on the subject we’d be happy to review it. Thanks.

• Peter September 1, 2016, 4:53 pm

I bought it the first time on a special, just to try it out. I live in a hot, muggy climate, where smells can easily develop, but no more. I also went on a trip and had terrible jet-lag, when I arrived on the other end of the world, and was too out of it, to take showers for the first two days…very untypical for me clean freak, but, again, no body odor. Another neat side effect was, that I went to a party, everybody covered themselves with those toxic mosquito repellents, I did not, and I did not have a single bite.

• Kevin September 9, 2016, 3:11 pm

So, this is a review of how the product worked or didn’t work for you or is it based on studies from 1987? Here is a concept, use the product, then offer your own opinion on it. This is like a review of a cd where the reviewer has not listened to the actual music, but uses another persons opinions on why the cd is not any good. This is a joke.

• Kyle September 29, 2016, 4:35 pm

Hey, what happened to the 90 comments this article had? A lot of people basically supported the product and said your article is full of it. Pretty unfair of your blog if you ask me.

Not to mention you’ve seemed to deleted your follow up article which pretty much said you made a mistake and had no idea what you’re talking about.

I live in Hawaii and use the product personally. It works, simple as that. Have you tried it? No? Shocking.

• Randy Schueller September 29, 2016, 5:43 pm

Our server crashed and we were only able to restore the content not the comments. Sorry for the screw up but there is no conspiracy or censoring.

• Kyle September 29, 2016, 4:37 pm

Here’s an archived link of their follow up article for those interested.

• Deb October 20, 2016, 1:15 pm

I’ve never tried this product but I know from years of personal experience that both chlorophyll and spirulina absolutely work as internal deodorizers. It’s easy for someone who doesn’t have BO affecting their personal lives to brush them off as quackery but those of us who are desparate for a solution and have tried everything KNOW they work. If science hasn’t caught up it doesn’t mean it’s automatically false.

• Seid November 19, 2016, 7:51 pm

I can’t find “body mint” in CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Rite aid … pharmacies here in D.C. They all told me they never heard of it. I have no credit/debit card to purchase it online. Is this thing real? pardon the late comer