Big bad baby hairs

Andrea asks: I have a question regarding short “baby-like” hairs that grow around my hairline. I’ve had them ever since I was little and I’m wondering why they never grow out. They’re not due to damage. They’re not long enough to be “fly-aways”, but they’re obvious enough that I’m too embarrassed to pull my hair back in a ponytail. Is there anything I can do, or any product I should use, to help these baby hairs grow out?

The Right Brain Replies:

We recommend washing your hair with baby shampoo, wearing Baby Phat perfume, dressing in clothes from Bebe, and listening to music by the 70s glam-rock band, The Babys. Joking!

Why are some hairs different than others?

Seriously though, there’s really nothing you can do to make your “baby hairs” grow out. Their size and shape are determined by the genetics of your hair follicle. Some types of hairs are “programmed” to only grow so thick and so long. You can read more about it in our post on “Why Armpit Hairs Don’t Grow Down To Your Knees.”

I’m sorry that we can’t recommend a product to help you battle baby hairs, but if they really bother you you might consider have electrolysis or laser hair removal.

Does any one else have trouble with baby hairs? Leave a comment and share your misery!

• Janet March 24, 2014, 8:05 pm

I have mad baby hairs too, and hair spray does not hold them back. I’ve resorted to using clear mascara to tame flyaways — it works terrifically and barely shows. The only caveat is to not use too much or the product will weigh the baby hairs down and cause them to separate from the rest of your hairdo.

• Britt September 20, 2014, 1:27 am

I have some hairs like that around my hairline, but not too too bad. If I wear my hair back Ill coat down with Got 2 B Glued Spiking gel or spray. Also it holds down would-be flyaways. Only, don’t remove pony tail until your ready wash hair because it will be stuck like that.
    Actually, the clear mascara idea above sounds like it might be easier and less messy, if not as strong. The stuff is super sticky on your fingers.

• samantha January 29, 2015, 6:27 pm

I have always had baby hairs that frame my face. Is I were to remove them it would look like I was losing my hair. Everyone always said that I had frizzy hair because they are not tame able and have always looked unhealthy. I get by with leave in conditioner or anything like a serum. At least that way they are weighed down and not sticking straight up. It’s a bummer to know nothing can be done

• Janeil February 22, 2015, 9:34 pm

I can’t be the only person who loves baby hairs. Seriously. I have them alll around my hairline, and I honestly didn’t know I had them until I stopped perming my hair about a year ago. I used to admire the way other people’s baby hairs framed their faces so delicately. A lot of people manipulate their baby hairs’ natural movement, and for me it’s SO attractive. Heck, so many of my friends are jealous of MY baby hair now.

• Zara January 7, 2016, 4:55 am

Hello,
    I’ve always had really bad baby hairs on the ‘corners’ of my hairline (above temples, and I really hated how it looked and how little I could hide them….Although I did notice how you can keep them in healthier shape to help them grow a little or look generally a little neater.

Of course prevent as much damage as possible-the typical hairdryers straighteners, tight hairstyles etc… But it the minor things you have to watch out for. For about three-four year I had a side parting, the baby hairs would be frustrating and ridiculous but I managed…As I wore my hair up as I occasionally do, after this amount of time I realised that one side of the baby hair problem had become much worse and more noticeable, I then realised that it was the side in which I had my parting- Uh Oh.

After thinking about it, I had used hairspray on the area, combing it more than the other side after washing it so it would dry in place, it was exposed to more sunlight, rain would fall on it more than the other, it was being fiddld with all day (as it was generally the first place my hand would go if my hair was in my face)………And all of these small things really damaged the delicate area and made the hairs frizzier and more noticeable.

I’m not saying you have to stay in bed your whole life to protect them, but be a little more cautious of the small things as they add up.

🙂

• Ali February 7, 2016, 12:53 am

Coconut oil! It won’t get rid of them but helps tame them. Baby hairs get forgotten about so causes them to be dry and frizzy. I rub coconut oil into them the night before I shower….and second thing I do is trim them. Please be very careful with this. I take almost no length off and just focus on cleaning them up and usually cut them at a slight angle getting longer towards the side of my head, but that’s what works for my hair line. If you cut too much off It can be awful. Doing these has caused my baby hairs to look healthier and blend a little more into my hair line. They have slightly grown too.

• Emma April 4, 2016, 8:00 pm

I have major baby hairs. I do anything, everything to get rid of them. I go from hairspray to hair gel to head band to water. Nothing works. When I try using one of these it makes my head look like a sun with all my baby hairs as the rays! Now I’m ashamed to pull my hair back. And I have to do it about 2 times a week! Please help!!!!

• Mariaah Douthitt April 19, 2016, 7:53 pm

I shaved my baby hairs a while back and now it looks hideous how do I grow this out within a week??? (Please reply asap!!)

• Mya May 8, 2016, 3:15 am

My baby hairs are ridiculous but I wouldn’t trade them for the world. The thing is my baby hairs reach all the way to my eyebrows and I’m very curious about what that means. Im a very curious person so if you know or even think anything PLEASE TELL ME.

• Jodie Lock May 30, 2016, 1:18 pm

I’ve learnt to kind of embrace my baby hairs, I made the HUGE mistake of shaving the side I have baby hairs on my forehead and my god did I regret. I’ve started to massage my head and hair line as well as tipping my head upside down and staying like it for a few minutes to help stimulate follicles and it seems to be helping them grow veryyyyyyy slowly. They are at the length that if I wet my hair back or hairspray it then they stay back!