How pure are 100% pure cosmetics?

Grace is not gullible: I’m watching QVC and they are featuring 100% Pure Cosmetics. Everything sounds so wonderful… earth based, all 100% natural,fruit pigmented, vegan friendly, no preservatives, no harmful chemicals, fragrance free, full of antioxidants, no animal testing, it is like organic food for your face, etc. etc. I’m wondering what is really in their products????

The Left Brain responds:

Good question, Grace. Looking at the ingredients in their products it appears that they do indeed have simplified, formulas that avoid the use of many traditional surfactants, preservatives, thickeners, and fragrances. How do they do this? By providing very basic formulas that rely on naturally-derived functional ingredients surrounded by a lot of non-functional natural ingredients that sound good but don’t really do anything.

100% Pure ingredients

For example, here is their ingredient list 100% Pure Organic Lavender Foaming Shower Gel.

All Natural Ingredients: Organic Lavender Hydrosol, Organic Lavender Honey, Gentle Coconut Cleanser (coco betaine), Organic extracts of Jasmine, Chamomile, Calendula and Rose, Organic White Tea, Organic Lavender Essential Oil, Vitamin E (a-tocopherol), Vitamin C (ascorbyl palmitate), Natural Food Preservatives from salt and cranberries (less than 0.1% of Sodium Benzoate, Potassium sorbate)

They take some liberties with the labeling guidelines and try to hide the ingredients that actually make the product work. If you strip away the nonsense you get…

Water, Coco Betaine, Salt, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate

These ingredients are found in many other products. Coco betaine is chemically derived from coconut oil and is a very close cousin of cocamidopropyl betaine which is found in almost all mass market shampoos and cleanser. While it’s milder than some other foaming agents (like sodium lauryl sulfate) it is also not as effective of a cleanser.) Interestingly, they say their products contain no preservatives but then they have Sodium Benzoate & Potassium Sorbate which are both preservatives.

Go figure.

The Beauty Brains bottom line

I’m sure these are fine products but they aren’t any better for you than the much less expensive products you can buy at your local grocery store. It’s really your choice – if you like these products then buy them. But don’t be tricked into buying them just because 100% Pure tells you they’re more natural.

What do YOU think? Would you be willing to sacrifice performance just to get a product that’s more “natural?” Leave a comment and share your thoughts and concerns with the rest of the Beauty Brains community.

• skin care nyc makeup products February 7, 2014, 11:13 pm

You will also want a moisturing foundation having a high SPF to
    safeguard your skin from damage as a result of sun exposure.
    The water becomes thick using the juice and make use of this water to scrub your hair.
    Some might argue over the definition of beauty,
    for some it might be beautiful looking, smooth skin with
    great texture also to some it may fit into the definition of being
    beautiful inside.

• confused November 6, 2014, 9:56 am

what? you’re not making any sense!

• Anonymous July 9, 2014, 10:27 am

I understand your skepticism, greenwashing is found common in the beauty industry because of the lack of regulation by the FDA. But, 100% Pure is not one of those brands. They are focused on providing natural, good-for-you products. And I am one to do my research.

• Randy Schueller July 9, 2014, 6:24 pm

Don’t blame greenwashing on lack of FDA over site! Rather, blame the companies who are misleading people by trying to make money of enviromentally conscious consumers.

• Kelli March 11, 2015, 6:40 pm

I just saw now saw this post and had to mention a couple things about this company.
    I came across their website a little over a month ago after my sister spent an exorbitant amount of money buy some of their products. She asked me to look at some of the product ingredients to see if they were good since they claim to use no preservatives or synthetic ingredients. I noticed that quite a few of their products that contain water and oil listed no preservatives other than honeysuckle extract but they also listed no emulsifier and yet the pictures of many of those products shows a beautiful white cream. Huh??? When I emailed them and got a reply, they told me they dont need a special ingredient to emulsify because they have a special machine that automatically emulsifies it for them. Hahahahaha! When I emailed again and decided to share the fact that I am a cosmetic product formulator they did not email back. Hmmm?? Guess they are just duping the public out of their hard-earned money by lying. They are just one of three deceptive companies out there that are trying to make everyone believe they are 100% natural, when in fact they are not!!

• Kelli March 11, 2015, 6:42 pm

Oops! I really meant one of three companies I have just come across within the last 2 months. I am sure there are many more.

• innetta March 27, 2015, 5:07 pm

I was also sceptical about their ingredients list. It felt to me as if they are under listing their full list

• Debby April 10, 2015, 1:14 pm

Do you have any companies to recommend that don’t do any animal testing and are not full of chemicals? What are some of your favourites?

• Laura July 27, 2015, 3:53 pm

I own Green Willow soap in Ellijay, Georgia. I have people come into my shop every day. I’ll ask them what do you use, comments will include different products. A lady today told me about this company. Basically I tell all my customers” if it has water in a product it must have a preservative” the only time that is not true is when I’m making cold process soap. If they don’t have a preservative the products will grow little nasties. That is what this planet is all about.

• Randy Schueller July 27, 2015, 4:56 pm

Good point, Laura. Thanks for the comment about the need for perservatives!