Pantene is bad for hair myth busted

Right Brain retorts:

On several occasions we’ve blogged about how many people believe Pantene is bad for your hair. It looks like the marketers at P&G (the makers of Pantene) are paying attention to blogs like the Beauty Brains because their Public Relations agency has just sent out this press release on that very question. Here’s what they had to say:

MYTH:

PANTENE PRO-V LEAVES BEHIND A LAYER OF WAX ON YOUR HAIR AND CREATES A WAXY BUILD-UP OVER TIME.

FACTS:

1. Pantene Shampoos and Conditioners do not contain wax. Although Pantene has unique and proprietary ingredients based on recent technological advances, the classes of ingredients (silicones, fatty alcohols, cationic polymers and cationic surfactants) are used consistently across the hair care industry.
  2. Pantene Shampoo and Conditioners do leave behind conditioning ingredients (such as coacervate conditioning complexes, liquid crystals, and terminal amino silicones) for healthy hair benefits such as moisturization, damage protection and shine. Pantene shampoos and conditioners are designed to work together, depositing conditioning ingredients that will wash out of the hair with the next shampoo.
  3. When women feel they have build-up from their shampoos and conditioners, it is often a sign that the products they are using are too heavy for their hair, and they may be more satisfied with a lower conditioning version.

PS – Want to get technical? Let us know and we’ll provide additional information and/or set-up a conversation with one of our science experts.

While we don’t normally blog about all the self-serving press releases we get, this one caught our attention for a couple of reasons.

First, as we said above, it makes us wonder if P&G are reading our blog. (If you are, say hi to your new spokeperson Stacy London for us. We just adore her!)

Second, it’s interesting that the official statement from the company uses the same basic scientific rationale that we used in our previous answers to the Pantene plastic myth.

And third, and perhaps most important, we like that Pantene is asking you to “get technical” and ask them questions for their scientific experts. Now, that doesn’t mean we believe everything that the big beauty companies say, but we do think that any company that is trying to open a dialog between its customers and their science experts is doing the right thing. You don’t see that from most of the smaller companies that are making outrageous claims that aren’t backed by solid science.

So, we say take them up on their challenge. Send Pantene your questions about how their products work and then share what you find out with the rest of the Beauty Brains community.

• angel April 17, 2014, 1:00 pm

i want to know about the shampoos that have amino silicones and cationic surfactants in the list of ingredients… (the name of such a shampoo or a conditioner would be of much help)
    since my hairs are frizzy i read about these ingredients being helpful in getting rid of frizz and making hair smooth.
    thanks in advance

• Melanie Walsh November 12, 2016, 7:53 pm

Omg it certainly does work. My hair was horrible but they say after 2 weeks to switch to a natural conditioner to clean the hair of the silicone

• Brandi October 21, 2014, 1:46 pm

I’ve never used Pantene but have been considering it because it is one of the few that contain water soluble silicones. Just wondering if these silicones are also as good as dimethicone as far as heat protection? That’s why I’ve always tried to use products with dimethicone, but I’m struggling with build up.

• Randy Schueller October 21, 2014, 3:49 pm

Brandi: Pantene did a good job of formulating with water soluble silicones. I think you’ll like the results.

• Kenydee September 10, 2016, 9:04 pm

DO NOT use Pantene!! It coats your hair in wax! I just went to get my hair low-lighted and after my hairdresser washed my hair she began to blow dry it. Turns out, because of her blowdrying it, the wax had begun to stick together and she couldn’t even get the comb through it. She made me come back the next day so she could strip my hair because there was SO much buildup.

• Catherine Lethcoe April 4, 2017, 9:15 pm

I have baby fine hair and without Pantene it tangles something awful. the worse i have sen with this product is the alcohols but if you have oil hairr or dirty hair this helps..so there….

• Mel Noel July 17, 2015, 10:49 pm

“When women feel they have build-up from their shampoos and conditioners, it is often a sign that the products they are using are too heavy for their hair, and they may be more satisfied with a lower conditioning version.”

Ok, that sounds like great advice except how do we know what a lower conditioning version is? Do the have a high to low list somewhere we can refer to?

I imagine the problem is likely due to the vast differences in hair types from one person for the next, even in a single family. In one family I have a dandruff prone dry scalp male, a oily scalp dandruff prone but dry hair female, a dry scalp dry hair female, and an extreme oily scalp oily hair prone female who actually uses Neutrogena oil free face wash to wash her hair to get rid of the oil daily. How can we expect the industry to have something that works for everyone? If one company doesn’t have a product that works well with your hair then it’s likely because it’s just not a good fit with your hair. It’s simple logic when you take the emotion out of it.

Seriously though, I think consumers would benefit from a true list of what is the “heavy conditioning” products downs to the “just conditions a little” products.

• Randy Schueller July 19, 2015, 9:08 am

That’s a great suggestion Mel, thanks!

• Nicholas November 5, 2015, 8:30 pm

Hi im Nicholas. I would think that because all of Pantene’s shampoos and conditioners focus on hair health and condition, that someone who has buildup would benefit from a volumizing shampoo and conditioner. Pantenes volume shampoo and conditioner moisturizes, but weightlessly. So therefore, they benefit beautiful, lightweight hair, that just so happens to be properly moisturized as well. Correct me if im wrong.

• Heidi l Steindel January 19, 2017, 12:00 pm

From what I experienced with Pantene , and after reading pantenes comments on negative reviews on their website, shampoos marketed for strengthening, split end mending tend to be heavy conditioning. To me I do not understand why they make it so very conditioning for if you have fine hair you will need a strengthening shampoo so why not make a normal conditioning product? i wanted to use beautiful lengths to grow my hair long but it was way over conditioning

• ana September 4, 2015, 9:58 am

i believe that pantene did change their formula i was able to wash with their shampoo before and now i cant because of the sulfates it just burns my scalp im not sure why pantene hasnt gone sulfate free..i do feel that it leaves this residue behind on the hair i have very kinky curly dry hair and i used pantene for years before but now i opted for professinal products due to the condition it left my hair on breaing and dry …..
    thanks

• Cher September 5, 2015, 6:28 pm

I find it ironic that people continously follow suit in allegations and actually believe that they are experiencing the same issues. I have an allergic condition that causes me to react to almost anything at all, at any given time. I bought Pantene, damage care, and gave it a shot. My hair is over colored and damaged. I figured why not? I experienced zero issues with it. No hives (I get hives from everything, even my own sweat), no burning, no hair loss and no anaphylaxis. My hair is just fine, no miracle was performed with use…. but it was just fine and was manageable. Folks, this herd mentality gets you nowhere. You won’t get rich claiming a company wronged you, in fact you’ll be lucky to get a $5 check from a class action suit. Just sayin.

• Viluannah November 4, 2015, 10:40 am

Seriously I used Pantene keratin damage repair at least that’s what I think it is it actually damaged my hair sure my hair was more slick but I have more split ends now because of that shampoo I really blame the company for this

• Nicholas November 5, 2015, 8:38 pm

Hi all, im Nicholas. Im a licensed cosmetologist, and im fascinated with comparing high end products to drugstore products. As a professional, i was taught that pantene doesnt do more than just coat the hair and not actually nourish the hair. Well back when i was in high school, i used pantene color revival shampoo and conditioner, which was nice because of the glossy shine it gave my hair. But i felt like i needed more nourishment, so i bought pantene beautiful lengths breakage defense shampoo and conditioner, and let me tell you, not only was the shine of my hair intense, but my hair felt so silky and soft. That aint just a coating. Thats nourishment. So anyways, since being in the hair industry i got use to using redken and pureology which are great, but werent giving my hair that umph…so two days ago, i asked myself… WHY NOT??? why not buy pantene and see if i get those shiny results again. Sure enough, my hair is in better condition now than it was two days ago. Super soft and shiny. Btw im using the pantene color revival+hydrating and shine shampoo and conditioner and the pantene ultimate 10 BB creme. I love it all!

• Heidi January 19, 2017, 12:04 pm

I spent a fortune on high end salon shampoos to only find one or two items worked for me. I still find myself trying drugstore brands more and honestly I keep falling back on Pantene due to the mild scent. I am extremely scent sensitive and many salon brands are too strong. I can use most redken and Paul Mitchell and thats it

• Suzanne January 25, 2017, 6:12 pm

What do you think about Wen? My hair has started to fall out in chunks. I will try the Pantene that sounds good. Do you think my hair will grow back I’m so scared.

• Bhavna November 16, 2015, 10:03 pm

I have a LOT of gray hair, some due to age (45) and some because of coloring my hair since many years. Due to this, no matter what products I use, almost all my hair is frizzy and fly-away. Just cant tame it and get the smooth, soft look where all hair is laid down. I have never used Pantene products before & I want to try it, but there are SO MANY different types of shampoos, conditioners and creams, that I have no idea which combination will work best for my needs. Please let me know which Pantene products will work best for me. Thanks in advance.

• Randy Schueller November 17, 2015, 8:07 am

It’s impossible to say which exact combination of products will be best for you but it sounds like you should try the ones designed for colored/damaged hair.

• suz November 21, 2015, 8:50 am

is pantene shampoo and conditioner bad for your hair I do not know what to believe

• silverleaf September 6, 2016, 10:08 am

did you even bother to read the article about whether or not pantene is bad for your hair? you clearly have Internet connection. if you can’t sit down and read this article, then go Google some research.

• heidiheidihoe October 7, 2016, 11:26 pm

LMAO. I know, right? It’s like coming to class late, and interrupting the discussion to ask the original question. lol

• Tricia December 28, 2015, 9:08 pm

This is very interesting….my hair stylists has told me several times that Pantene products use paraffin and leave a wax build up on the hair. She said that after long term use the build up eventually causes the hair to break off. I love her but I think she is listening to what Redkin says in all the seminars she attends!

• Randy Schueller December 29, 2015, 10:53 am

Paraffin? That’s easily disprovable with a quick look at the ingredient list!

• Melanie Walsh November 12, 2016, 8:01 pm

But it is plastic? No?

• Randy Schueller November 14, 2016, 7:51 am

I’m sorry but I don’t understand your question. Are you asking if Pantene contains plastic? If so, the answer is no.

• lena January 7, 2016, 5:46 pm

been using pantene for 2 months now my hair never looked so good

• Diane Thompson January 10, 2016, 1:51 am

I used to be a faithful Pantene user but I’ve heard so much negative talk that I stopped using it. I am going back to Pantene because after years of spending hundreds of dollars on salon shampoos and conditioners, my hair is sad, dry and frizzy. I’m going back to Pantene because I want happy hair again! !

• Beautiful hair every day January 23, 2016, 12:39 am

My hair dresser told me the same thing. Pantene causes wax build up and will damage my hair. Then, she tried to sell “professional” shampoo and conditioner. I have been using Pantene for years and my hair is beautiful and shiny. I always get compliments on my hair and then get asked what I use for it. Of course, I tell them Pantene. I’m sticking to it until I grow old and bald.

• Erin February 3, 2016, 11:02 am

I also was told by my hairdresser that Pantene left wax build up. So I started using a different product suggested by her. Bad mistake!
    After being so disappointed and frustrated with how dry, frizzy and brittle my hair had become I went out Saturday got Pantene 3 minute miracle repair and protect deep conditioner and Pantene moisture renewal hyrdrating shampoo and conditioner.
    Today is Wednesday immediate difference in three days! It was a pleasure to blow dry my hair today. I had more control it isn’t frizzy brittle or any of the other problems I was having.
    I will not switch every again. Thankyou Pantene I enjoy my hair again

• Debbie February 25, 2016, 7:11 pm

I Heard the same thing about the waxy hair but I have to say I have been using the moisture renewal shampoo and conditioner for years. My hair is soft and feels clean all the time. I Have very oily hair and struggled with all shampoo and conditioners I couldn’t even put a comb through it, but with Pantene I can. I Have tried beauty salon shampoos that didn’t give me the same results as Pantene. I Have two children Not my own who couldn’t do anything with their hair. Their hair was unhealthy one of those kids recently went to a beautician and was told how healthy and soft her hair was. This child’s colored her hair so much it was horrible until I Gave her Pantene. I Have tried different Pantene shampoos and they weren’t right for my hair but moisture renewal was absolutely perfect. Pantene detangler is also awesome especially if you have long hair or thick hair.

• Amber March 25, 2016, 11:20 am

I have long hair to my lower back. I have used panteen for over 10 years. I recently believed all the talk and tried many other shampoos, with juat no luck. Nothing compared to panteen. I have went back to panteen! I use the dry damage poo and conditioner and 3 minute miracle and my hair is back to normal finally. Soft to touch looks great, healthy. Love panteen and the truth is in all the testimonials!

• Charlotte March 31, 2016, 9:41 am

I’ve heard for a while now that Pantene can actually make your hair melt off if you try to dye your hair while using Pantene for your shampoo and conditioner. Is that true or is that just s myth? As someone who likes to do unique things with her hair color and using Pantene I’m very concerned.

• Randy Schueller March 31, 2016, 9:56 am

That’s just a myth – Pantene uses ingredients that are pretty standard for shampoos and conditioners. There’s no mechanism that we’re aware of that would cause these ingredients to “melt” your hair.

• Gail April 6, 2016, 9:07 am

I was told yesterday, by my hairdresser, that “Pantene is a four-letter word.”

I told her, and anyone within ear-shot, that Pantene is THE ONLY conditioner I will ever use on my hair. My hair is light strawberry-blonde, and it is as fine and straight as it could be. Any product with methylparaben or propylparaben renders my hair dull and lifeless. Not only that, but my hair will become dry and highly prone to breakage, even after only one use. I read all ingredients when purchasing beauty products. I am old, if not wise, enough to know what works for me. I have NEVER experienced a bad result from using Pantene conditioners. Without Pantene, I would necessarily have short hair. Pantene has enabled me to maintain my hair at lengths of two-and-a-half to three-foot lengths for the past decade.

After reading this blog, I will report to my hairdresser that her belief that Pantene is evil and damning to clients’ hair is a fallacy, and that she should research something before believing the hype perpetrated by other misinformed persons. Thanks to all who have described their own experiences here.

• Stephanie April 8, 2016, 9:33 pm

Ive been using Pantene Full and Strong shampoo and conditioner for about 2 or 3 weeks every other day. Ive noticed my hair looks more greasy and i started having large white flakes by my scalp. Its not dandruff and there is no itching… i used my color toning shampoo tonight to tone my highlights and my scalp felt like it could breathe again… any suggestions?

• Sarah June 2, 2016, 1:52 am

That’s because Pantene leaves a weird coating on your hair when you use it! Opt for a product line that will let your hair (and cuticle) breathe!

• Mellisa Louise April 16, 2016, 1:48 pm

Yikes! I’ve used Pantene before and it did nothing good for my hair at all. It was always getting more and more damaged with every wash. I switched to something that is natural based, healthy and safe to use on my kids about 8 months ago and noticed my hair grows thicker, shinier and I haven’t had an issue with split ends at all.

• Deborah April 24, 2016, 6:17 pm

I have used Pantene shampoo and conditioner for years. My daughter-in law told me her friends beautician said Pantene is really bad. My daughter -in law believes everything she hears or reads on internet. My hair is so soft and full. Unless I have problems I will not change from Pantene. Please don’t change anything .

• Daisy June 15, 2016, 1:40 pm

Hi, I’m just wondering what shampoo and conditioner brands I should avoiding that you know have ingredients in that will damage my hair. I have long hair so I try to keep it in goo condition as much as possible and I have heard that some shampoos/conditioners that damage hair in the long term.

• Linda Jones August 5, 2016, 2:24 pm

My beautition told me the first thing she was told in beauty school was that Pantene was bad for hair——-but, I ruins she was just trying to get me to buy the shampoo & conditioner they use in the salon

• Tess September 9, 2016, 11:00 am

I’ve been using Pantene for a long time now. I’ve dyed my hair platinum blonde a few times (that means bleach) and I’m finally going back to my natural color. My hairdresser told me that Pantene was awful for my hair. I have long and thick hair and I personally love the Pantene results. I just want to know if these results are going to last.

• Randy Schueller September 9, 2016, 12:12 pm

I don’t know of any reason they won’t. If you keep using it, let us know what happens.

• Jennifer October 21, 2016, 10:35 am

I started using Pantene Curl Perfection shampoo around July and immediately noticed issues. My scalp gets really red, itchy, and flaky, and my hair falls out in clumps. When I switch shampoos to Head and Shoulders and don’t use Pantene for a couple of months, my hair doesn’t fall out and actually starts regrowing. However, I love Pantene’s smell and go back to it once in a while. I used it last night and my hair came out in clumps. I actually got a small bald spot near the front of my scalp, which is scary and really upsetting, and the hair in my drain and brush was incredible even though I brush my hair before I shower to avoid clogging my drain. It could be an allergy to an ingredient, but I’ve looked around and it seems like Pantene actually does cause hair loss in some people.

• Gift October 28, 2016, 1:56 pm

I am a LONG TIME Pantene user, recently I changed hair stylists and she immediately said to me – “You use Pantene, dont you!”. I admitted that I did and she proceeded to tell me if I didn’t switch up to either a brand she sold or another salon type brand she wouldnt continue to take care of my hair. She explained what Ive read above about build up and breakage and had my convinced my Pantene was evil. She talked me into going to Matrix and I purchased a huge bottle of shampoo and condition. This was the worst decision ever. I HATE IT. It doesnt detangle my long color treated hair, I have to sit forever in the shower and detangle with a shower comb WITH the conditioner in it. The shampoo makes my hair feel like its “stuck together”. hate!
    Two days ago, going thru my bathroom cabinet, I found my Pantene. In just two days my hair is back to its original tangle free soft and manageable self. Looks like I’ll be finding a new stylist and NOT a new shampoo. I love the way Pantene makes my hair feel and act.

• Pretty/Healthy Locks November 6, 2016, 5:45 am

I have been using Pantene for more years than I can remember. I get more compliments on the smell of my hair than when I wear a $100 bottle of perfume! And here’s the beauty….. other than the usual hair u lose daily, I have a full head… 2 my ass 2 b exact! I, however, use no product on my hair except leave-in conditioner, nor do I apply heat 2 it. I think those who complain about “wax” & “build-up” r the same who probably used an entire bottle of Aqua-net in 1 sitting in the 80’s & only curled the front aspect of their head/bangs & then complained when their hair looked like something u’d c n a field driving passed a farm. I have tried many different hair products, & Pantene is def. the only consistency out there. May I also mention that I have numerous friends who r stylists who swore how magnificent Wen was, & we c everywhere what is going on with that product. And as far as detangling properties, go ride a motorcycle without a helmet, then come home & c what Pantene does n a matter of minutes 2 fix that mess. Hats off & thumbs up 2 this product. Have loved for years & will continue 2 use. And 1 product does not produce miracles; it has much 2 do with what u put n ur body as well on it.
    PS: Ever notice that those who spend their lives destroying their locks with dyes, chemicals, & heat r so quick 2 want 2 blame 1 mass-produced product on the fact that they look like a rat should b nesting on their shoulders? Just a thought…… : )

• Law December 2, 2016, 3:12 pm

I just read your comment. First of all I agree. Secondly- I like you! Your “Real” in a fake world. I spoke to a young girl at work who had s little blonding added to her brown hair. It looked cute. I asked her where she had it done- it’s a place near us. She told me it cost her over $400 without the tip. They told her Pantene products were bad for your hair. She bought high end $60 Shampoo and Conditioner. A few months later, her hair was short and brown. No highlights. For the fall/winter. If I spent that much money on my hair to cut it off in a few months- Get the net and haul me off to the HAHA!!!! And I don’t know how she could even afford that. We make the same money. I would not want her credit card bill. I’ll stick with Pantene for now. Thx for the laugh!!

• Law November 30, 2016, 10:04 pm

Hello all you beauties and Handsome’s!!! I will tell you the truth. I am a glutton for trying everything hair. Pantene is not bad for your hair. I am not a hairdresser, just a lady who is paying attention extra for the past few years. I’m a young middle aged blondie who has tried it all. I have naturally dark blonde mousy colored hair and it’s dyed light/platinum. My hair has a wave to it and has gotten long because I’m paying attention. I do my roots every 6 weeks or so -with Born Blonde bleach. I’m careful in putting a good coconut oil or biosilk protection on my ends first. I have thin hair, but a lot of hair. I keep side swept bangs with a long layered cut angled framing my face and the back is down to my waist. This is the bottom line for healthy hair. Drink lots of water- try to eat healthier- take vitamins adding Biotin. Wash your hair every other day. Use less gels and products when you can get away without it including hairsprays. If you can- let your hair dry naturally when your just home chilling. Get regular haircuts to clean up ends etc as they take a beating. I have had hairdressers tell me Pantene is bad and I have tried Matrix Biolage which I love. I also love Suave Rosemary Mint and enjoy using Herbal Essences (the green clean ones). Love them too. I like to use a spray leave in conditioner to detangle sometimes. I try to use a deep conditioning mask and sleep with it in my hair when I’m in the mood. Here is the key-use Nutrigena anti residue like 2-4 x a month with a light conditioner (volumizing). Change off brands every couple days and go easy on heat. I love Pantene and will use it forever. It is most imperative to use what YOU like. But you must have a variety. Get a nice brush that doesn’t rip your hair out. Cheap or Expensive- you must experiment and ease up on listening to people that rip products apart. There is no way for ANYONE to know what works best for you except YOU!! Listen to your hair by what you see in the mirror. Just don’t use the same products day after day as it will build up. Trust me. Change it up and have fun!!! I hope this helps you. Happy Hair Hotties!!

• Johnny James Temple December 11, 2016, 1:44 pm

This article is sexiest as fuck you need to edit it. Not only women use Pantene and I’m extremely offended you only used the plural noun women… extremely offended

• Randy Schueller December 11, 2016, 5:14 pm

Please calm down. We’re sorry that we offended you so much. We’re not trying to be sexist but all of the data we have access to was based on women. Thanks for reminding us that men use this product too.

• Angel December 14, 2016, 5:12 pm

Try to keep in mind that men’s hair and women’s hair are different (like shavers for your face compared to our legs and other parts) and this article was based on that; women. 🙂 Oh, and like the language for trying to show that you’re smarter and hurt ..that’s okay, we all know that something small like this would upset you. The person writing the article, should of checked with you first. Have a great holiday! 🙂

• Angel December 14, 2016, 5:07 pm

I have Celiac and with that, everything I use or eat, at or about 4 months, I start to develop allergies from it (it’s a pain). I’ve used Pantene in the past and I did like it but I was told (by stylist) that it contained wax, harsh chemicals and was weighing my hair down a lot (I have blonde fine curly hair). He also said that it was causing my breakage. I did try other Pantene conditioners but he finally told me that I just need another shampoo. (tried to sell me a $18 12oz bottle of shampoo at that time) So, I changed to John Frieda; used that for about a year and I noticed the dryness with my scalp 2 months in so I just included some ‘anti itch’ shampoo in with it; which calmed it down, but, I had to wash it everyday due to the ‘anti itch’ causing it to have oily build, so then, of course, he told me that it was causing my hair and scalp to be too dry but yet, too oily, so I switched to L’oreal because “it has less chemicals for someone like me, that’s allergic to the everything.” *sigh* Used it for about 4 to 6 months and noticed my hair was falling out – not to the point of baldness, but more so than should be coming out in a standard brushing and wash, and it was making me very concerned, so he tells me it’s the sulfate chemicals. I went back to John Frieda and the ‘anti itch’ shampoo. . He tried again to get me to spend like $18 to $22 on a bottle of their shampoo; but seriously.. I love my hair, but come on. My hair used to be very long (reaching my butt), but because of all the different shampoos making my hair like a rat’s nest at the ends, even though there weren’t any “dead ends”, it felt like there were; I had to cut it to my shoulders, twice over the years. This last time was very disappointing and the worst. I have tried the ‘natural’ (baking soda, no shampoo) way of shampooing and all different kinds of conditioners, but honestly, non shampooing, it makes me feel gross. I’m going back to Pantene (it’ll just be hard trying to figure out which is best for me – without his help) and the stylist, well, he’ll just have to like it or not, it’s my hair. Thanks for this article and info 🙂

• Samantha Dassler January 6, 2017, 10:05 am

Patene is bad for your hair…let me break down why.. Those silicones? Are covering up the damage instead of repairing them. That makes color having to be a stronger strength.. Perms to not hold etc. Actually most of the industry is going silicone free. You can argue that it’s not bad all you want. I knew a beauty professional who would help in commercials. When patene first came out they would shampoo with salon shampoo even for the commercials!!

• Randy Schueller January 8, 2017, 8:34 am

You’re entitled to believe what you want but I’m not aware of any scientific data that would support what you say. There is a move away from certain silicones for regulatory reasons but most of the top selling conditioners still use some version of a silicone. Why? Because they work really well.

• Anita Leedale January 28, 2017, 2:21 pm

I have been using Pantene for years, I have very dry tight curly hair until I discovered pantene conditioner my hair never grew long just out. I rarely use shampoo ( maybe twice a year) recently though my scalp has started to feel sore sometimes its very painful I am beginning to think its since they changed their products and will now be looking for something else. So my question is have the ingrediants changed over the last couple of years.

• Dee February 24, 2017, 11:37 pm

I started using Pantene expert after using Wen for 2 years. My head quit itching and my hair is so soft!

• Stephanie Marzano March 26, 2017, 8:37 am

This press release from pantene is a flat out lie. It happened to me. The conditioner was not too heavy. I have used heavier ones for longer periods with only slight build up taken care of with one wash from a regular clarifying shampoo. This stuff took one month to build up, my hair was so waxy feeling I couldn’t even touch it because it left a film on my hands. It left a film on my brush and a film on my pillowcase that made me break out. And I was using no other products on my hair! It took 5 washes with the most powerful clarifying shampoo i could find (Neutrogena clarifying) to remove the build up and in the process removed all my color. Whoever wants to fall for their lies can. I’ve been there and won’t ever be again no matter how many lying press releases there are.

• Tracy March 27, 2017, 4:51 pm

Regardless of what any press release says, Pantene and Head & Shoulders do not suit everyone. Personally it leaves my hair greasy and lank within a couple of washes and I’ll never use either of these products again. It seems to happen more with these 2 brands than most others so what’s the reason why? Surely P&G can answer that question? They know the recipe.

• Mo March 29, 2017, 11:32 am

I came here because my hairstylists in the past have said to never use pantene, but I brought home a free sample the other day and washed my hair last night. It looks and feels so amazing today, no frizz at all, it’s shiny and silky and my natural waves are subtly there. I’ve been using pretty spendy sulfate-and-everything-else-free shampoos and conditioners with varying disappointing results. Glad to know it really isn’t bad for hair, because I want to make the switch.

• Chuck Tharp April 16, 2017, 5:35 pm

comment as a question. Now my client uses pantene. Two weeks ago she used a box color. Now she wants me to make it better and refresh a few highlights. Her old hightlights seem a little resistant to taking on new color.
    was that the pantene she was using. Also I thought her color seemed to fade a little. should I have clarified the pantene befor doing color. I also thought I noticed a dull fade. Now I like pantene but how does it play with color.