Should you start your own NYR organic business?

Elizabeth asks…Hi! I’m new to this site, but was impressed by the thorough analysis done on other products.

My daughter is selling NYR Organic bodycare products and I was wondering if any here have tried it, and would be interested in hearing an analysis from the brains of the group! I’m not a hardcore organic person, but was impressed at how quickly a small 3rd degree burn healed when I used their lavender oil on it, and then I went to a “practice party” that my daughter did, I was able to check out a few more products. As a good mom would, I am scheduled to host a party, but I am more interested in the analysis of the product before I make any kind of investment in it.

Left Brain launches:

So sorry about the delay in answering, Liz, we are working hard on meeting our deadline for our new Beauty Brains book. But I thought I’d take time out to answer this one since enlightening people to the realities of multi-level marketing (e.g. Arbonne) is one of my favorite things to do.

So, your question is basically….Should you invest in NYR Organic?

NYR Organic products

I’ve never used NYR Organic products but you can learn a lot about a product by reviewing the ingredient list. It turns out that they use the same ingredients that everyone else uses. In the cosmetic industry, nearly everyone has access to the same ingredients and ingredient suppliers. Bigger companies will sometimes get exclusive deals, but it’s rare that anyone can gain an advantage by the source of their raw materials. NYR Organic is no different.

As a quick example, look at their Rose Body Cream

You can click the link for the full list but basically the formula is water, emulsifier (glyceryl stearate) and an oil phase (cetearyl alcohol, Lanolin alcohol, Shea butter, etc). It’s probably a fine formula as they no doubt work with some excellent cosmetic chemists. But this formula isn’t any better than something like Burt’s Bees body butter. And at $36 for 5.2 ounces, NYR Organic doesn’t even compare in value to Burt’s Bees product at $13 for 6.6 ounces.

Of course, even Burt’s isn’t even as good a value as something like Neutrogena Body Cream at $7.70 for 6 ounces.

But the point is, there is nothing about NYR Organic formulas that makes them superior to other, less expensive products you can buy. And if you find the natural / organic story compelling, then Burt’s Bees, JASON, or any of the other host of “natural / organic” products you can buy at regular stores will be a better value.

NYR Organic Sales System

I do not know any more about this company than what I’ve read on their website. However, from your description of hosting parties and “investing” in the products, it sounds very much like a system of distribution called Network Marketing or Multi-Level Marketing. In this system, they get “consultants” to buy products, sell them to their friends & family, and then try to get the “consultants” to convert their friends into consultants who will then give them a kickback on every sale.

The whole system is very much like a pyramid scheme in which no one (except the people who started the company) really makes any significant money. Of course, it’s not an illegal pyramid scheme because product is actually produced and sold.

Before you invest any money in this company or any other, be sure to read this information about Multi-level Marketing.

And if the guy at Skeptoid doesn’t make you think twice, read what the FTC has to say about Multilevel Marketing.

Beauty Brains Bottom line

Should you buy into the NYR Organic system and become a consultant? Ultimately, you have to decide this for yourself. But if the reasons are because the products are something special (they aren’t) or that you’ll make a lot of money (you won’t), then you’ll be best served by skipping this “opportunity”.

What do you think about multilevel marketing opportunities? Have you joined and made money? Leave a comment below and let the other Beauty Brains community members know.

• Crystal February 12, 2014, 11:45 pm

Completely biased assessment of something you are unfamiliar with and analyzing solely on the basis that it is a “Pyramid scheme”. You already have your mind made up with your opinion.
    There is a significant difference between Burt’s Bee’s products vs a high quality organic product. Burt”s bee’s has been bought out by the Clorox Company and uses petroleum and chemical based products and is nothing organic about it.
    NYR Organics actually commit to superior quality and care about our environment and sustainability.

I will agree that multilevel marketing does give skepticism but basing an opinion only on the fact they are multilevel marketing and so just like all of them is narrow minded.
    I hope the poster did her research and trusted her judgement and hope she was able to find a good quality product.

• HawaiiGirl February 17, 2014, 3:15 am

Wow was this a biased review or what? Comparing organic products to chemical laden ones saying there’s no difference? WOW. I am not a NYR Organucs user, but I am a firm believer that products sold through network marketing are of a higher quality. Why? Because the products aren’t sent through a huge distribution chain. And why wouldn’t I want to support a family member with my purchase rather than a big box store that doesn’t give a rip? POS article.

• Randy Schueller February 17, 2014, 4:12 pm

@Hawaii Girl: I’m sorry but I don’t follow your logic. You say that “I am a firm believer that products sold through network marketing are of a higher quality. Why? Because the products aren’t sent through a huge distribution chain.”

What does the distribution chain have to do with the quality of the product? I would look at the ability of a company to conduct proper research & development, claims support, and safety testing rather than try to correlate product quality with the size of their distribution chain.

• Gaby July 17, 2014, 12:05 am

I completely agree!!!
      I surely hope the woman who posed the question did her own research and did not rely on this response!
      And as far as the marketing, I have sold for another big cosmetic/skin care company and I actually did very well for myself….so to say there is no money in it is ludacris as well….maybe it’s a judgement on the majority or a personal experience but I, for one, did indeed make many amd also received an amazing discount on products for myself ,all the while working for an amazing company….

• wow March 16, 2014, 9:16 pm

Wow. What a terribly 1 sided response. Both of the cheap products you recommended as substitutes for NYR products contain “Fragrance” (a term in the United States that could be 1 of 200 ingredients) that people commonly suffer allergies from.
    AND the Neutrogena cream you recommended over NYR products contain
    Petrolatum byproduct of petroleum, found in breast cancer biopsies.

Perhaps you should do more more research on the ingredients used in cheap products vs. organic, natural products.

• Randy Schueller March 18, 2014, 8:18 am

@Wow: Petrolatum has been found in breast cancer biopsies? Can you please provide a link which substantiates your claim so we can investigate? Thanks.

• Debralw March 17, 2014, 6:28 pm

I am a NYR Organic dissatisfied consultant. Prices are high and the consultant discount barely covers taxes (London) and shipping. The products were mediocre at best and if you sign up under a gift certificate promise, know that it’s only good for 60 days and you have to jump thru hoops in order to cash it in. Company only cares about the $$$. NOT the satisfaction of customer or consultant!

• Debbie April 23, 2014, 10:02 am

Hi…I’m sorry…but you have never used the product and don’t know anything about the company but can still have an opinion!? I signed up to be a consultant with NYR, because I really, truly believe in the company and I am sick to death of all the crap advertising that most beauty companies do, when what you are paying for is harmful chemicals, animal testing and high priced actors/actresses. NYR Organic lists all of their ingredients, something that is not necessary and most companies don’t do (for obvious reasons) How about not testing on animals? how about supporting many charities? How about being the first high street retailer to be Carbon Neutral? how about being part of Fair Trade and supporting local communities and families? How about everything being hand made and most products being produced in their ‘Eco factory’? How about no chemicals? How about not buying out to a bigger company that does test on animals and use chemicals?(Such as Body Shop and Burts Bees) How about supporting people that sell your products instead of paying astronomical amounts of money for advertising and rent? How about education? NYR Organic works with leading universities to study the effect that all of these chemicals/pesticides have on our health. We’ll stay with education…Peter Kindersley also partly funded and was the Executive producer of a documentary that is just out called ‘Unacceptable Levels’ …To educate people about the amounts of chemicals/pesticides/additives that they are taking into their body and the negative results this can have on your health (not to mention the environment, the continuing abuse of animals and the BIG Multi billion dollar profits for big business!!!)
    How about you guys start researching your stuff instead of writing absolute rubbish….seriously….I’m am astonished that you guys can write such dribble with a clean consciousness!!!

• Randy Schueller April 23, 2014, 12:21 pm

Thanks for your thoughts Debbie. I’m sorry we don’t see eye to eye on this. One more thing – if a company tell you that their products are “chemical free” they’re misleading you. There is no such thing.

• Bearfoot May 9, 2014, 8:32 pm

If you are truly looking for 100% organic, no chemicals! beauty products you could actually eat…….Terressentials. You’re kidding yourself if you think these products are organic and free of chemicals. I’m not saying not to use them, just do your research. Rule of thumb is if you can’t pronounce the ingredients, they’re chemicals. Behenyl olivate, Octyldodecyl olivate, Glycerin, Glycine soja (Soya) oil*, Theobroma cacao (Cocoa) seed butter*, Cetearyl glucoside, Cetearyl olivate, Sorbitan olivate, Argania spinosa (Argan) kernel oil*, Vitis vinifera (Grape) seed oil*. Made with 74% organic ingredients. Sorry, 74% means the other 26% aren’t organic, so it can’t be truly organic.

• Nikki June 13, 2014, 8:04 am

Actually, if a company tells you their products are 100 percent organic then you are the one who is being mislead. Research the term. There are things that can’t be called organic. Organic is a term that only applies to ingredients that are farmed. Water is not organic. Salt, and other minerals found naturally in the earth are not organic. When a company gives you a percentage on each product of its organic content, that means it’s being honest and completely transparent about its contents rather than misleading their consumers with faulty claims.

• Nikki May 24, 2014, 2:57 pm

The statements in this review stating that there is no difference between NYR’s process is completely inaccurate. They are a certified organic company which means that even in the process of growing the items needed to make the products there are NO chemicals used including pesticides. Not only are the chemicals in pesticides harmful to the human body but they are also harming wildlife such as Bees, Butterflies and many more of natures beautiful creations. I truly hope the person who asked about the company did some further research to see that there is a HUGE difference in NYR Organic and products who have tons of chemicals in them.

• Kimberly August 4, 2014, 1:25 pm

They do not claim 100% organic, water is not organic, clay is not organic. They also do not claim to be free of chemicals… everything is a chemical. They do not use harmful chemicals, like ‘fragrance’, petroleum, or SLS to name a few of the nasty ones. The company is very ethical and focused on safety. The company as a whole is certified organic and the products are all individually given percents of how much organic ingredient is in them. They are completely transparent with what they put in their products, all listed directly on the website. Great product, ethical company and ground floor opportunity for someone lookig to start a business with a product they can stand by.

• Heather August 4, 2014, 3:18 pm

Actually by definition a chemical is a group of elements that are bonded and inseparable. Water is a chemical substance. Most people when referring to “chemicals” are talking about synthetic substances that are not able to be naturally combined, i.e. clouds make rain so water is a chemical substance that is inseparable yet not synthetic. The words synthetic and chemical are often interchanged. Everything NYRO puts in to their products are naturally occurring substances and they operate based on the precautionary principle that is if an ingredient is believed to cause harm to people, the product is reformulated and the ingredient is removed from products.

• Aimee September 4, 2014, 6:25 pm

I’m so offended by people who refer to MLM as being similar to a pyramid scheme. People don’t go broke working for MLM companies unless they buy too much that they can’t sell. And many of them don’t require their consultants to carry any stock at all. There are lots and lots of successful people out there making a lot of money from direct sales – myself included. The bottom line is, not everyone is business savvy. Not everyone can be trained to do things the way they need to to make their business a success. Not just anyone is cut out for direct sales. Period.

As for your comments about NYR, I just today got my samples and tried a couple for the first time. I’m typically a Mary Kay user but I’ve also used Avon, Arbonne, Estee Lauder, etc. This felt good when I put it on so I Googled it to see what other people thought – then I came across this blog post, which you should be embarassed about. It’s not the least bit unbiased and while reading it, I was starting to wonder if you just have a beef or something with one of their consultants.

Additionally, any company that’s been in business for 30 years must be doing something right. The skin care industry is saturated – there are tons of companies selling it but only the best of the best are still in business. 30 years in the cosmetics/skin care industry is still very young, but if their product was crap they would have been out of business a long time ago.

So, for me, the jury is still out on NYR. I like what I’ve tried so far – maybe that will change and maybe it won’t. But please, please, please, people – STOP bashing direct sales. Most of us are legitimate and you’re giving us a bad name. How about building us up instead of dragging us down?