Does Infusium weaken hair?

Berlina beckons…I had recently been using Infusium leave in treatment on my hair and it had been working fabulously. But, my little brother managed to spill the entire bottle on my floor. After thinking of buying another bottle, I bought a replacement conditioner for the time being for the rest of the week. I was wondering what it is in Infusium that works so well with my hair? I heard that it may cause your hair to weaken. Is this true?

The Right Brain Responds:

Infusium 23 has been around for many, many years (although now it’s owned by P&G) and it’s a very nice leave-in formula. What’s in it that makes it work so well? Let’s take a look at the ingredient list:

Water, Amodimethicone, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Panthenol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Dimethicone Copolyol, Polyquaternium-11, Citric Acid, Betaine, Glycerin, Sorbitol, Tricontanyl PVP, PPG-2 Methyl Ether, Serine, Glycine, Glutamic Acid, Arginine, Threonine, Lysine, Alanine, Proline, Hydroxyethylcellulose, PEG-8/SMDI Copolymer, Behenic Acid, Palmitoyl Myristyl Serinate, Oleic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Linoleic Acid, Stearic Acid, Arachidic Acid, PEG-8, Polysorbate 80, Amino Methylpropanol, Fragrance, Sodium PCA, Methylparaben, Methylisothiazolinone, Methylchloroisothiazolinone

If we strip this list down to the basic, functional ingredients it looks like this:

Amodimethicone, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Cetrimonium Chloride, Dimethicone Copolyol, Polyquaternium-11

Infusium action

Of these ingredients, two are really doing most of the work: amodimethicone (which is a water soluble silicone dispersion) and cetrimonium chloride (a very simple but very effective quaternary ammonium compound which sticks to damaged areas of the hair.)

Does it weaken hair? No. All conditioners work by smoothing the cuticle and lubricating the hair shaft to protect hair from damage. Infusium does that very nicely without weakening the hair.

The Beauty Brains bottom line:

If you like leave-in conditioners, you’ll probably like Infusium 23. Make your brother buy you a new bottle and don’t worry about weakening your hair.

How do YOU like to conditioner your hair? Leave in? Rinse out? Leave a comment and share your conditioning tips with the rest of the Beauty Brains community.

• kristy March 5, 2014, 1:21 am

this helped!!

• Jess October 14, 2015, 4:47 pm

My Infusium23 has DMDM HYDANTOIN (FORMALDEHYDE RELEASER). The ewg.org says it’s kinda bad.

• Randy Schueller October 15, 2015, 9:04 am

High levels of formaldehyde gas can cause health problems. The low levels released by this preservative are not dangerous unless you have an allergic/sensitizing reaction to the ingredient. Most people use products with DMDM with now problems at all.

• karla kirkpatrick February 11, 2016, 8:01 pm

thanks

• Sarah N. June 25, 2016, 9:24 am

I know it’s good for my hair but this product (Infusium 23 leave in conditioner) is pretty useless to me because it’s so watery. I can’t cup it in my hands to put in my hair because it just slides through my fingers. If I put it in the ends of my hair (the part that needs conditioning) the product just drips off… I can only bunch up my hair and pour some in but this is time-consuming. I want a leave-in conditioner that is thick enough to actually stay in my hair.

• Randy Schueller June 25, 2016, 3:08 pm

I agree! I always thought that water thin products are too hard to apply. Even with a spray bottle!

• dudley.hadley February 24, 2017, 9:25 pm

I have used infusion 23 for many years love it. Yesterday I went to buy some cannot find it anywhere is it no lober available

• Mandark May 20, 2017, 12:37 pm

They changed packaging recently – went from a light blue pour spout to a magenta spray bottle. I bought some recently at Walmart.

• Suzi December 16, 2017, 1:55 pm

I have been using this conditioner for 18+ years and swear by it, I am 63yrs old and my hair is just above my waist, everyone comments on it and it feels like silk, I have tested other products but none get even close, it has never done anything but leave my hair tangle free and fantastically silky, my grand daughter is 23yrs old and she first tried it after I took her swimming when she was 4 yrs old, she called it her ‘magic water’ as it never pulled her hair, and she still uses it now.

• Joyce January 20, 2018, 5:07 pm

I’m 67 and use Infusium. I’ve tried others, too, but always go back to Infusium. Won’t be changing again. My hair was half-way down my back and great looking but got too heavy to dry and deal with. Cut now in shoulder length layers and is silky and manageable. The leave-in, although ‘watery’, really works great and now comes in a spray bottle(although I always poured it in a spray bottle anyway). I mist all over then add extra to ends. I half blow dry then mist all over n soak all ends again. Comb again and then finish drying and styling. My hair only needs washing twice a week or so. If ends droop or frizz between needed washings, I remist and/or soak ends and restyle. If I live to be 137 I plan to keep using Infusium and NEVER have old lady hair.