Cure Natural Aqua Gel – look at the label

I have to admit this best selling product on Amazon.com baffles me.

It’s allegedly the top selling exfoliator in Japan. Exfoliators, as you probably know, work typically work in one of two ways: by chemically loosening dead skin cells with an alpha hydroxy acid or similar chemical. Or by mechanically removing dead skin cells with an abrasive particle like a walnut shell or a polyethylene bead.

This product contains neither type of ingredient. It does, however, contain “Activated Hydrogen Water.” I don’t know what it’s activated with but I’m certainly happy to see that they’re not one of those nasty non-hydrogen based waters.

In addition it contains glycerin, a couple of polymers, and some quaternary ammonium compounds. Based on the ingredient list I’d expect this to be a better hair conditioner then it is a skin exfoliator.

Cure Natural Aqua Gel Ingredients

Water (activated hydrogen water, non-acidic and purified), glycerin, acrylates/C10-30, alkyl acrylate crosspolymer, dicocodimonium, chloride, steartrimonium bromide, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, gingko biloba extract, rosmarinus officinalis/rosemary leaf extract, butylene glycol.

Claims:

• Best selling exfoliator in Japan
  • Free from preservatives, fragrance, artificial coloring or alcohol
  • Contains 90% revitalized hydrogen water
  • Contains natural plant extracts from aloe vera, gingko, and rosemary
  • Must-have basic skin-care product to prevent enlarged pores, blackheads, pimples, blemishes and dull skin tone.

I’m not sure why you’d want to but you can buy Cure Natural Aqua Gel 250ml – Best selling exfoliator in Japan! using the link below and you’ll be helping to support the Beauty Brains. In fact, you can buy ANYTHING with our link and it will still help. Thanks!

• Rae February 15, 2014, 10:06 am

I tried this and it balls up. Maybe the exfoliation happens after the product balls up and you continue to massage it.

• Randy Schueller February 15, 2014, 10:22 am

Rae: The balls are formed as the water evaporates and the acrylates polymer comes out of solution. (Some products like this claim that the “balls” are actually the dead skin cells but that’s not true.) I suppose the balls could give some degree of exfoliation but I wonder if they’d work as well as particles specifically sized for that task.

• Rae February 16, 2014, 6:00 pm

@Randy, some people think that, but I’d be scared if that much skin is coming off. Well, it does claim to be gentle, and is advised to be used everyday as opposed to 2 to 3x a week with other exfoliators.

I probably won’t buy this after I finish the sample though. It just doesn’t fit my needs as an acne-prone person.

• Eileen February 15, 2014, 10:47 am

I got such a laugh out of “one of those nasty non-hydrogen based waters.” We certainly don’t have to worry about any nastiness with this product, though, as it is the real deal–it’s “hydrogen water”! LOL

Apropos those little polyethylene beads used as exfoliators, I’m sure you guys are well aware of the legislation being proposed in New York and California that would ban the manufacture and sale of all products containing those non-biodegradable little beads. Since products are frequently reformulated, it shouldn’t be too difficult coming up with environmentally friendly alternatives. I think of it as job security for you chemists ;-)

• Randy Schueller February 15, 2014, 11:27 am

@Eileen: It’ll be interesting to see how the plastic micro-bead issue plays out. They gained popularity because they are less abrasive than walnut shells and other similar exfoliators. Now they’re losing popularity become of their environmental impact. But rest assured some enterprising chemists will come to the rescue!

• rozy February 15, 2014, 3:14 pm

I don’t know why no preservatives is considered a good thing.

• Randy Schueller February 15, 2014, 7:39 pm

@Rozy: It’s called “Irrational Chemophobia.”

• vanessa February 16, 2014, 10:25 pm

Gah. Me too. I’d choose preservatives over bacteria/ fungi any day.

• Olivia February 16, 2014, 3:41 am

The biggest selling point from this product (from what I hear of people that use it) is that you can see dead skin ball up as you rub the cleanser over your face. I thought this post would explain this idea. I just started trying to educate myself better with product formulations and I have many questions I’m really embarrassed to ask. It’s a subject I’ve never ventured into and it’s a new found interest. I’m tired of spending money on items that leave me dissapointed

• Randy Schueller February 16, 2014, 9:18 am

Olivia: As I mentioned in a previous comment, it’s the acrylic polymer coming out of solution that causes the balls to form.

• Olivia February 16, 2014, 7:30 pm

^ I don’t know how I missed that sorry. I got a bad facial at a spa once and never again went back for another. It left me with those pesky things all over my face, tried to say it was my skin. It was very occlusive I broke out

• Inky Whiskers February 16, 2014, 11:53 am

If you want to learn more about what cosmetic ingredients do for us & to us as well as how to tell fact from fiction on labels…read It’s OK to have Lead in your Lipstick! Really! I’m not getting paid or anything to say this. It’s a great book for educating cosmetic users!

• Kaya February 16, 2014, 11:30 am

“Nasty non-hydrogen based waters” :D :D :D :D

• Michelle February 16, 2014, 3:21 pm

Sorry, I am not ever going to listen to someone telling me it is OK to have lead in lipstick!!! So then add some to your dinner tonight and let us know how that went. Really.

We are so stringent on the water we drink, and insist on cleaner water, so why would it be ok to have lead in lipstick but not in water???

I am sticking to clean and healthier brands like LUSH Cosmetics, L’Occitane, and Glam Girl Naturals Cosmetics!!!

• Randy Schueller February 16, 2014, 3:52 pm

Hi Michelle. Thanks for your comment but it appears that you’re a little bit misinformed. As you can see by reading the EPA standards provided at this link http://water.epa.gov/drink/contaminants/index.cfm#one, very low levels of lead ARE permitted in drinking water. The goal is to get to zero but as long as the level of lead is below 0.015 micrograms per liter of water, no action is required.

The important point to recognize is that THE DOSE MAKES THE POISON. We’re exposed to hazardous materials ALL THE TIME in our lives- some are natural in origin some are man made. But you can’t determine the risk of these materials unless you understand the degree of exposure. And that’s why it’s ok to have (a little) lead in your lipstick.

• Inky Whiskers February 17, 2014, 12:38 pm

Gotta love ignorance, it’s so entertaining. LOL

• Olivia February 16, 2014, 7:34 pm

Some people are heavily invested in marketing propaganda. I am ashamed to admit I bought into the all-natural paraben nonsense at one point. I’m still alive :)

• Scarlet February 16, 2014, 8:59 pm

I heard they did an experiment where they tried to put a small drop of Cure on a surface and rubbed it using a q-tip or something and there were no residue coming out to prove that it’s the dead skin cell and not the product that forms?

• vanessa February 16, 2014, 10:34 pm

There are a lot of weird skin care products in the Asian Market. In fact a lot of other Asian brands have “exfoliants” similar to this.

There is a lot of hype for a lot of weird ingredients as well – snail cream, bee venom, yeast ferment, collagen. Consumers pay a hefty amount for products with these ingredients in them.

• Anita March 20, 2014, 7:16 pm

Years ago I made lotions that a lot of people liked, but I stopped making them. I was using a polymer thickener, and it was gross how the product balled up on my skin. Gross!! I am formulating using nice, regular emulsifiers now.

• Ashley November 1, 2014, 8:03 pm

I used this today for the first time on DRY skin, and it actually is pretty amazing. Think what you will, but the balls that formed on my skin were globs of dead skin cells. How do I know? Because I tried using it again five minutes later, and no little white balls formed whatsoever! I’ve used a product like this in the past. This is not a gimmick. Don’t knock it til you try it.