How much coconut oil does hair absorb?

Here’s more good news for lovers of natural hair care products.

Coconut oil penetrates hair

We’ve blogged before about how coconut oil is one of the few natural oils that has been proven to penetrate deep inside the hair where it can strengthen from within. The problem has been there has been no way to quantify how much oil actually gets inside the hair. A 2012 research paper documents a new method involving radioactively labeled coconut oil that can now measure how much oil actually gets inside hair.

This new method used a scintillation fluid to radioactively tag the coconut oil. (BTW, Sarah Bellum thought the phrase “scintillation fluid” sounded dirty.) The researchers were then able to track how much of the oil actually penetrated into the hair versus how much stayed on the surface.

The research (although small-scale and preliminary) shows that hair can absorb around 15% of its weight in coconut oil in an hour. An overnight soaking oil (six hours) increases absorption to around 20% or 25%.

With this new method validated, the researchers hope to expand the scope of their work to include other types of oils. In the meantime you can take solace in the fact that coconut oil has been once again validated as an effective natural hair care ingredient.

Reference: Quantitative measurement of the penetration of coconut oil into human hair using radio-labeled coconut oil. JSCC, 2012, Vol 63.

It’s been proven again and again that coconut oil is good for hair. Is anyone out there actually doing this? Leave a comment and share your hair oiling experiences with the rest of the Beauty Brains community.

• Amanda April 28, 2014, 8:12 am

Love coconut oil! The all-natural shampoo I use (Healthy Skin for a Happy Life) actually contains coconut oil as well as jojoba, essential oils, lemon juice and avocado oil, and I can totally see the difference it makes in the shine and strength of my hair! If anyone is looking for an all-natural shampoo made with coconut oil, I highly recommend Healthy Skin for a Happy Life!

• Eileen April 28, 2014, 11:40 am

I am an older woman (69) with long hair about 2/3 of the way down my back. I use a coconut oil mask a couple times a month and it maintains my hair’s strength, adds body, gives it a nice luster, and keeps it feeling soft. I generously slather it on and pin my hair on top of my head and then go about my morning routine. All considered, it is only on my hair 3-4 hours tops, but that seems to be plenty of time for it to do its job. When it’s time to remove the oil, I make a slurry of water and a bit of shampoo, work that through my hair, and rinse. I then shampoo as I normally would. I’m always a bit puzzled by people who claim they can’t get it out. In my experience, it shampoos out very easily.

I’m not on the “all natural” bandwagon by any means, but pure coconut oil lives up to all the hype when it comes to conditioning the hair.

• PamG April 28, 2014, 2:49 pm

I use this weekly , the night before I wash my hair.
    It definitely cuts down on tangles and my hair is soft.

• Klee April 28, 2014, 3:18 pm

LOVE coconut oil! I’ve been using it on my hair 1-2x weekly, since I first read about it on Beauty Brains. I used to have to trim my hair regularly to around shoulder length, because the ends would get so dry and damaged, but my hair is currently halfway down my back and beautiful. Makes my hair look great AND cheaper than the high-end conditioners!

• Jennifer April 28, 2014, 9:19 pm

On Sunday night I saturate my hair with coconut oil. I sleep on it Sunday and rinse it on Monday. I don’t wash my hair until Tuesday. I work from home and don’t usually go anywhere on Mondays. It doesn’t clog my pores and washes out of my pillowcases. The coconut oil has totally saved my hair! I color and highlight it, plus style it with a blow dryer and flat iron it. Now it is soft and shiny and the ends don’t split.

• Judith April 29, 2014, 3:30 am

My hair is fine, thick and has been bleached and using coconut oil does wonders. That combined with the fact that I handle my hair with care and don’t put heat on it, keeps it healthy.

I use it as a pre-wash treatment for at least one hour

• Priscilla Kurtz May 2, 2014, 7:27 am

I’m a hair artist and I have my hair routine: Mondays are for hydration mask, Wednesdays are for nutrition mask and on weekends are for repair mask. At the end of every month I apply oil to my hair, leave it for about an hour, I wash it out, and use liquid keratin product.
    I was used to do the same routine without the oil procedure. I first use olive oil and the difference is ridiculous. This Monday I use my hydration mask and my hair felt even more hydrated and soft than before. So amazing.
    And it is very hard to convince people that oil doesn’t make your hair oily…

• Mira May 9, 2014, 2:04 pm

The use of coconut oil as a conditioner for hair is a very well known and old tradition in South Asia. I’ve had coconut oil put into my hair since I was a young child and continue to do for about an hour or so before washing my hair. I’ve always had long soft and healthy hair as a result of it.

• Brenda May 22, 2014, 7:00 am

After years of neglect and abuse, I’ve finally given my hair a break from relaxers and heat. Using coconut oil and occasional protein treatments has revitalized my hair. It really does soak in without weighing my hair down too much; I hate the feeling of greasy oily hair. Thanks for sharing the study!

• Isabel July 14, 2014, 9:08 am

I use coconut oil for my hair once a month, then conditioner twice a week.

I have thin hair and it falls down when I’m stressed or when is longer than my shoulders. After I got to this website and found out about coconut oil, I started to sleep with the coconut oil in my hair. I felt that my hair is a bit thicker and falls less. It takes 2 washes to take all of the coconut oil from my hair and after using the conditioner, it feels soft and healthy.

I used not to like conditioners either before reaching this website because I thought it was contributing to the falling problem. Then I learned that you have to avoid the scalp.

I’m very happy with this remedy :D