Should you wash your hair every day? Episode 167

Hello and welcome to the Beauty Brains, a show where real scientists answer your beauty questions and give you an insiders look at the beauty product industry.

On today’s episode we’re going to be answering questions about

• should you wash your hair every day
  • whether dermatologist recommended products are better,
  • the difference between natural and synthetic hair colors
  • how home skin analyzing devices work & if they’re worth it

Beauty Science stories

Parabens continue to be safe

‘Sub-zero waste’ set to be next big global beauty trend in 2019

• Jonathan Chen December 10, 2018, 11:35 am

Hi Beauty Brains,

Thanks for another fantastic episode – as always, found your insights into the beauty industry fascinating. The two of you discussed on this episode the usage of the Corneometer and Novameter in skincare product testing for moisturization, which my friend and I found really interesting. Can you share a little more about how the large skincare companies typically test their products for efficacy?

Thanks and look forward to another informative episode!

• admin January 14, 2019, 11:58 am

It really depends on the specific claims they are making. For skin products the corneometer and novameter are popular options in which subjects are put in a room with controlled temperature and humidity. Product is applied and control sites on the skin are chosen. Then we measure change in skin readings over a few hours. There is also the Kligman regression test for moisturization which requires over 2 weeks of testing.

• Susan Albert December 11, 2018, 11:48 am

I enjoyed the discussion of dermatologist blended products. I am happy to have found a doctor who does not sell her own products. Years ago I took my daughter to a different doctor to treat her very dry skin. The doctor suggested I buy a jar of her moisturizing cream. I decided to give it a try. When we got home and started to use the cream, I peeled off her label and discoveredI had bought a jar of Eucerin for twice the drugstore price. Needless to say I never went back to this doctor.

• admin January 14, 2019, 11:57 am

Thanks for your comments!

• Oh no... January 13, 2019, 2:04 am

Can I request a translate? I am not a native speaker, but I want to read(

• admin January 14, 2019, 11:56 am