Clean beauty, oil cleansing and more – episode 194

On this episode of the Beauty Brains we answer a number of beauty product questions and talk about big companies and the brands they own.

Beauty Questions On today’s episode we answer your questions about

• Is oil cleansing better for your skin?
  • How should you treat seborrheic dermatitis?
  • What do you think of the Active Beauty products?

Special guest brain, Sarah Bellum!

*Sorry about the sound quality. We had a different setup for this episode.

Beauty News

Allure starts it’s own clean beauty certification

Beauty Questions

Question 1 – Katherine says Hi, I just wanted to get your opinion on this product (Glossier Body Hero Daily Oil Wash). They have an Instagram post which doesn’t make any sense to me from a scientific perspective, so I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Question 2 – Stephanie says – I’m not a chemist and I need some direction on properly incorporating liquid tinctures into my rice water. I have low porosity curly hair but my scalp suffers from chronic seborrheic dermatitis.

I’ve been using rice water for several months. I love the results and I would like to safely incorporate onion, garlic, cayenne and ginger tinctures into my rice water regimen.

My question is, what number of drops of the tinctures would be safe as well as effective to add to the rice water? Any guidance that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Question 3 – Luke says – Hey there beauty brains, I came across this new ‘next generation’ skin care product called face gym. I’m kind of sick of brands creating new products and boasting so wildly about the benefits without any research or evidence to back it up. They use terms like ‘scientifically formulated’, ‘medical grade’, ‘stem cells’, ‘detox’… really grinds my gears hearing all this marketing talk. Can you shed some light on whether or not there is any truth to these claims with new and innovative products?

Thanks for listening. Hey if you get a chance can you go over to iTunes and leave us a review. That will help other people find the show and ensure we have a full docket of beauty questions to answer.

ASK A QUESTION – If you want to ask a question click this link or record one on your phone and send it to thebeautybrains@gmail.com

Social media accounts
on Instagram we’re at thebeautybrains2018
on Twitter, we’re thebeautybrains
And we have a Facebook page.

Support the Beauty Brains!
The Beauty Brains are now on Patreon! Help support us to continue to make episodes.

Thanks again for listening and remember Be Brainy about your Beauty

• Ren September 25, 2019, 10:46 am

Now I’m waiting for a podcast on cleansers PH and why it doesn’t really matter that much.

• Perry Romanowski October 9, 2019, 2:47 pm

Well, I think it might matter a little. For example, high pH soap is more irritating on skin than body wash for example.

• Ren October 10, 2019, 12:02 pm

But is ph the reason? What if both are liquid body washes and the only difference between them is the ph?

• Perry Romanowski October 12, 2019, 11:38 am

That’s a good question. According to this paper (https://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/245955) the higher the pH of the detergent, the higher it will raise skin pH, at least temporarily. But they didn’t do the specific test of controlling for the detergent system and varying the pH. It would be an interesting study.

• Nat October 9, 2019, 10:20 am

I am becoming increasingly afraid that pseudoscience is taking over the Beauty Brains podcast. In this episode, the concept of “clean beauty” was treated as a legitimate concept without discussing what it actually means and if there is value in it.

In prior episodes, Perry has gone into this, asking the questions: What makes these products clean? And if it’s just the fact that they don’t use certain ingredients, then are those ingredients unsafe, and are products better off without them? This questioning led me to believe that the products that the clean beauty movement wants to avoid are actually safe and perform well. If that’s the case, then Walmart offering “clean beauty” is not something to laud.

Valerie praised Walmart for making clean beauty more accessible at a lower price point, but if “clean beauty” is pseudoscience, then it’s not good at any price point. Perry even mentioned that without two of the banned ingredients, it would make it hard to have a good moisturizer.

Perry and Valerie seem to be at odds with these concepts, just as when Perry criticized a “clean beauty” fragrance line in the past, and then Valerie came on a later episode and praised it.

To me, the Walmart “clean beauty” push is a marketing gimmick that preys off of people’s misunderstanding of science and fear of perfectly safe ingredients. Just like greenwashing and “cruelty free” claims place value on false signifiers and train people to ignore the real issues, “clean beauty” is in the same vein.

This episode also brought up homeopathy, which, as Perry correctly stated, is fake. I was alarmed that Valerie seemed to take this as a humorous matter, or as opinion, when it’s not. Real people don’t get the medical care they need when they take water labeled as a homeopathic treatment. It’s dangerous to suggest that there might be validity to using water as medicine. But this is just another symptom of the same systematic issues that I described above with clean beauty.

I go to the Beauty Brains to find out which of these movements are gimmicks and which are real, but it no longer seems like I can put my trust in them in that regard, at least not in Valerie.

• Perry Romanowski October 9, 2019, 2:44 pm

Thanks for your comments. I think you were referring to Episode 193 where Valerie and I talked about it. I think you may have misunderstood Valerie’s position on clean beauty but I’ll let her respond to that. I generally agree with you that clean beauty is a marketing gimmick and is just like cruelty free or greenwashing.

It’s not always going to be the case that Valerie and I agree on everything, but if we always both agreed, one of us would be redundant. However, I’m certainly not going to let pseudoscience overrun the Beauty Brains.