The secret that all women should know about men’s hair color

Kay’s Question:

Can women use Just For Men hair dye? Is their claim that it only colors grey hair true? And if it is, how is it possible?

The Right Brain’s Colorful Response:

Yes, Kay, women can use Just For Men hair dye. In fact, you might already be using that kind of hair color and not even know it! Sort of. Let me explain. First a quick bit of background:

Background Fact #1:

Your natural hair color comes from a natural pigment in your hair called melanin. There are two basic types of melanin and they can be combined to form all the different hair colors from blonde to red to brown to black. If you have no melanin your hair has no pigment so it looks grey.

Background Fact #2:

Most hair permanent hair colors (the kind women usually use) work in two stages. First they use a bleach-like chemical to destroy the melanin that ‘s naturally present in your hair so it becomes lighter. Second, they add other chemical pigments that make your hair a different color. With this type of product ALL your hair gets a dose of color.

Background Fact #3:

Some hair colors, (like Just For Men, Clairol’s Loving Care, and L’Oreal Natural Match, to name a few) do NOT use this two stage bleaching process. They use a single stage process that does not lighten you hair – it only adds dye on top of your existing natural hair color. So if you have a mixture of grey hairs and dark hairs, the grey hairs will pick up the new color but the dark hairs won’t. That’s how Just For Men can say that they only work on grey hair. Get it?

The Brain‘s Bottom Line:

Yes Just For Men’s claim that it only works on grey hair is true and, yes, women can use Just For Men hair color. In fact, many hair coloring products for women use the same type of coloring technology. But many women prefer to dramatically change their natural color and that requires using a product that employs a two step bleaching process.

• rosalinda March 13, 2014, 9:24 pm

I’m using just formen color for my friend, but he wants the color with more ash tone, can I mix some other color with just for men?

• Yvonne Morris October 21, 2014, 7:53 pm

Is the medium brown an ash tone or a golden tone? Want more
    of an ash tone as I plan on using it myself. It will be my first
    time to use hair color of any kind. I am 65 and have some grey in
    the front.

• Janet March 18, 2015, 10:01 am

My hair is all grey/white can i use JFM? what would the results be? My natural color was dark brown.

• Randy Schueller March 18, 2015, 10:09 am

I think JFM is more designed to touchup grey. I’m not sure how it will look on hair that is more white.

• Lisabeth garza October 11, 2015, 4:32 pm

If I’ve dyed my hair before using ladies hair color can I use this men’s grey hair dye? I don’t have a lot of grey hair I wished I had read this first I don’t care to change my hair color it’s a pain!

• Julia November 4, 2015, 12:54 pm

I had lowlights put in my hair at a salon to help cover some of the grey. I have short hair so I have to have it cut about every 5 weeks, so the lowlights get cut off fast. Can I use JFM Touch of Grey so I get more of a lowlight look and not covering all the grey. I want it to look natural/

• Randy Schueller November 4, 2015, 6:55 pm

It’s hard to say but JFM will give you a look that doesn’t color all the grey. If you try it, please write back and let us know how it worked!

• Sandra Murdock November 10, 2015, 2:21 am

I use JFM and it covers ALL my gray and my hair is black. Have been using it for years. It works great.