The secret that all women should know about men’s hair color

Kay’s Question:

Can women use Just For Men hair dye? Is their claim that it only colors grey hair true? And if it is, how is it possible?

The Right Brain’s Colorful Response:

Yes, Kay, women can use Just For Men hair dye. In fact, you might already be using that kind of hair color and not even know it! Sort of. Let me explain. First a quick bit of background:

Background Fact #1:

Your natural hair color comes from a natural pigment in your hair called melanin. There are two basic types of melanin and they can be combined to form all the different hair colors from blonde to red to brown to black. If you have no melanin your hair has no pigment so it looks grey.

Background Fact #2:

Most hair permanent hair colors (the kind women usually use) work in two stages. First they use a bleach-like chemical to destroy the melanin that ‘s naturally present in your hair so it becomes lighter. Second, they add other chemical pigments that make your hair a different color. With this type of product ALL your hair gets a dose of color.

Background Fact #3:

Some hair colors, (like Just For Men, Clairol’s Loving Care, and L’Oreal Natural Match, to name a few) do NOT use this two stage bleaching process. They use a single stage process that does not lighten you hair – it only adds dye on top of your existing natural hair color. So if you have a mixture of grey hairs and dark hairs, the grey hairs will pick up the new color but the dark hairs won’t. That’s how Just For Men can say that they only work on grey hair. Get it?

The Brain‘s Bottom Line:

Yes Just For Men’s claim that it only works on grey hair is true and, yes, women can use Just For Men hair color. In fact, many hair coloring products for women use the same type of coloring technology. But many women prefer to dramatically change their natural color and that requires using a product that employs a two step bleaching process.

• rosalinda March 13, 2014, 9:24 pm

I’m using just formen color for my friend, but he wants the color with more ash tone, can I mix some other color with just for men?

• Yvonne Morris October 21, 2014, 7:53 pm

Is the medium brown an ash tone or a golden tone? Want more
    of an ash tone as I plan on using it myself. It will be my first
    time to use hair color of any kind. I am 65 and have some grey in
    the front.

• Janet March 18, 2015, 10:01 am

My hair is all grey/white can i use JFM? what would the results be? My natural color was dark brown.

• Randy Schueller March 18, 2015, 10:09 am

I think JFM is more designed to touchup grey. I’m not sure how it will look on hair that is more white.

• danny February 23, 2016, 1:08 pm

janet how did it work for you? i have pretty much all grey hair and it works well for me but i use the jfm that has applicator brush and no mixing required. it works well and no burning what so ever. the other kinds of jfm just felt like it was burning. just some tips for you.

• Lisabeth garza October 11, 2015, 4:32 pm

If I’ve dyed my hair before using ladies hair color can I use this men’s grey hair dye? I don’t have a lot of grey hair I wished I had read this first I don’t care to change my hair color it’s a pain!

• Julia November 4, 2015, 12:54 pm

I had lowlights put in my hair at a salon to help cover some of the grey. I have short hair so I have to have it cut about every 5 weeks, so the lowlights get cut off fast. Can I use JFM Touch of Grey so I get more of a lowlight look and not covering all the grey. I want it to look natural/

• Randy Schueller November 4, 2015, 6:55 pm

It’s hard to say but JFM will give you a look that doesn’t color all the grey. If you try it, please write back and let us know how it worked!

• Sandra Murdock November 10, 2015, 2:21 am

I use JFM and it covers ALL my gray and my hair is black. Have been using it for years. It works great.

• donna February 17, 2016, 5:38 am

I have been using just for men about a year now as my hair is only grey around the front and sides. A few months ago I noticed that my hair was a lot thinner than it used to be and I was wondering whether this had anything to do with using just for men or just the fact that I am beginning menopause. Has anybody else using JFM noticed any hair thinning?

• Sammy February 18, 2016, 5:54 pm

Donna, I think your sudden hairloss is more likely peri menopause or even thyroid issues. Since ToG doesn’t strip your hair as part of the 2 step process mentioned earlier and just covers existing gray, there really is no corollation between your hairloss and hair color. So swing by the docs office for a lab slip on your way to picking up your next box of color. Look well, be well.

• danny February 23, 2016, 1:14 pm

donna your hair thinning could be a result if you pull hair back and put in pony tail . my wife use to do that all the time and did it tight and her hair started thinning and her hair dresser said it was from pulling hair back. so she stopped doing it and her hair started getting thicker. just a thought

• sandy February 8, 2016, 8:01 pm

I have been using a Touch of Gray for years..I have gray hair in the front and very thin hair. I am very very allergic to hair color for women. When I tried ToG it was just what I was looking for. I have no pain and no break outs like I did with traditional hair color. I love it and swear by it.

• Helena March 15, 2016, 7:46 am

I am 71 years old and my 48 yr old daughter have been using something called Youth Hair. It is a creme that works like Lady Grecian (which we used for years,when it was available). We prefer Lady because it was clear liquid and less messy to apply.Both work well for us.

• Michele Viau May 8, 2016, 7:34 pm

Can I use a JFM that is lighter than my natural colour on my grey and therefor have highlights?

• Randy Schueller May 9, 2016, 7:08 am

Interesting question! Technically I think it could work as long as the pattern of your grey hair is the same as you’d want for highlights.

• Lily May 14, 2016, 11:53 am

Hi can you use JFM on highlighted hair?
    I have highlighted hair but there is also grey hairs there too I wanted to know if JFM would just colour the grey hair & leave the highlighted alone ?

• Colleen June 20, 2016, 6:28 pm

How long does Just For Men last?

• vanda July 10, 2016, 1:02 pm

hi I have 80% gray and I have to color my hair almost every two week, root fast and looks really bad against dark brown color, So I wants to slowly bring my all hair color to lighter brown, If I use any lighter color on root it still looks bad , so my plan is to use brown Jfm color and as roots grow back the jfm color will fade and slowly I can move to lighter brown color.do you think it will work????

• Spanky September 1, 2016, 7:11 pm

Are you Dark brown or Medium Brown?

You are correct about “Light Brown” being the lowest and Brown to adequately cover any root Greys.

If you’re Dark brown then get Medium Brown and Ash if you don’t want to be to warm toned. Such as cool skin, Blue or Haz/Grn eyes, and cool brows. Otherwise warmer is OK. If you start with or add and Warm, Golden or even Natural then it will add warmth to what you started with. Sometimes even if it was from previous color.

Generally color remove any different added color. I hear “Vanish” does this without peroxide and any damage. Color can’t lift color. All Browns darken.

While you could go “Light” Brown (Ash?), if your are actually Medium-Brown(now) naturally (by 20% not Grey) I recommend only ONE level (or same), and not even two-levels, permanent (not Demi) Grey smashing color to the cortex. Likely Medium Ash Brown all over. Follow direction.

Revlon “50” (6-level) Light Ash Brown (if you are Medium naturally) for example.

Next one down is “Medium Ash(if you’re cool tone) Brown if you’re now Dark Brown.

You’ll have to do root touch up; but it’s as easy as anything. For 2nd re-applying follow all directions for just on your root longest (depending on you Grey) and wash through non-Grey (no interleaved Grey) 5 minutes to match.

When first applying then you could put/save some on later, for less time thereby making a touch of Grey where you want.

Start with thickest Grey first.

• sylvie November 1, 2016, 10:46 pm

I am very gray and have my roots done every 5 weeks so expensive, can I use just for men too cover my gray. Im medium to dark brown. Does it wash out or stay in until you shampoo ?Thank you

• Sharon Liss November 25, 2016, 6:22 pm

Once I use just for men can I go back to a Demi permanent or permanent hair color without damaging my hair?

• Lisa January 5, 2017, 9:24 am

The women’s hairproducts you mentioned (Clairol Loving Care and L’Oreal Natural Match) have both been discontinued. Are there any current women’s hairdyes out there that work the way you described?

• Anne March 6, 2017, 8:51 pm

Yes Loving Care by Revlon is discontinued but if you call Revlon they say you can go to Sally Beauty and get the one made for professionals, “Beautiful Collection” Advanced Gray Solution”. But I found it online on their site and bought a lot several yrs. ago. Amazon might have it now too.

• Janelle January 25, 2017, 2:46 am

Hi- I used JFM to cover my greys & worked great for me in the past- my husband uses it & one day I tried it out & loved it b/c it works fast– and love the way it covers my grey in my dark brown/black hair–I had women hair dressers trying to tell me not to use JFM b/c it’s only for men & how the pH balance is for men–basically they could not explain to me the scientific reasons why I as a woman can’t use it. Basically, I just couldn’t find a women’s hair color that’s done in 5minutes–I do not like to keep chemicals touching my scalp for 20-30minutes as I feel that it all gets absorbed in my scalp. So, I figured 5minutes of FJM is better than 20-30minutes of women’s hair color. But the hair dressers were telling me that it’s 5minutes of really bad chemicals compared to less harmful chemicals for the 20-30minute women’s color. Is there any truth to this ? I am not familiar with hair coloring chemicals & their toxic componenets & lasting effects–can you pls let me know what you know ? I just would love to use 5minutes of chemicals instead of 30minutes. Thank you, Sincerely, Janelle

• Randy Schueller January 25, 2017, 6:47 am

The potential problem with JFM is that some people are allergic to one of the dye chemicals (PPD.) If you can use the product without allergic reaction (as most people can) then it is no worse for you than any other hair dye.

• Renee Davis January 25, 2017, 7:13 am

I have a lot of grey around my face and in the back it’s more salt and pepper. I’ve considered using JFM to make the grey more salt and pepper, would that work?

• Randy Schueller January 26, 2017, 6:40 am

I think you’ll have to experiment with it and see if it gives you the look you want.

• sans February 17, 2017, 3:26 am

I have done my hairs golden colour in a parlour…bt I want my natural hairs back….how to get it? Should I do black hair colour again……to get my hairs natural look….plz suggest me….

• Zarina February 25, 2017, 2:40 pm

Please clarify these statements: “it starts to fade after about three weeks” and “it lasts for several weeks”. Does this mean the actual color fades out OR is this in reference to hair growing out (i.e, root growth), which would need retouching?.

• Randy Schueller February 28, 2017, 8:26 am

Both. It will start to fade after a few weeks and you will need to recolor the roots due to grow out in a few weeks.

• Oralia Garza March 4, 2017, 6:58 pm

I really want to try it.

• Karen Tobias March 29, 2017, 12:55 pm

I would love to try this, but I’m freaking out! I’m 46 and I mainly have grey towards the front and on the sides. I would say that I have medium to dark brown hair with warm tones, naturally. I currently have my hair colored at a salon using permanent hair coloring to stay as close to my natural color as possible. My biggest worry about trying Just For Men Shampoo-In Haircolor (I’m thinking to use the Medium-Dark Brown H-40) is whether or not it will damage my hair. I have fine hair and the constant coloring of my hair and the touch ups is not only expensive, but it seems like my hair is slightly damaged as a result. Please share with me your thoughts. I would be forever thankful! Karen

• Randy Schueller March 29, 2017, 1:45 pm

All non-temporary hair color does some degree of damage to your hair but the JFM product is pretty mild.

• Adie April 23, 2017, 2:49 pm

I use Touch of Grey (light brown) not wanting harsh products on my hair and it’s way less expensive. It covers a lot of the hair and recently covered my white ones!!! Either the product was improved or letting my tresses grow out to its full natural state of brown, grey, white and silver did the trick. In any case, it covered all and achieved a lovely greyish, light brown natural looking color with light grey highlights at the hair line. I was ‘staining’ it at the hair salon, but my hair seemed to get thinner. I started to use coffee based shampoo for hair growth and sprouted new hair. The color is more in keeping with my age!

• Carol Jo May 20, 2017, 8:43 am

I have dyed my hair and when the color faded it was somewhat lighter. I do have salt and peppered ash brown/blond hair. I’ve used JFM for years touching up in front and on eyebrows. Will it color the faded/bleached look so I can grow out my natural?

• Robin June 24, 2017, 1:50 pm

I have white hair at the roots. I just spent over $180 to do overall red color with blonde highlights. I can’t continue doing much $$ to touchup and need something for the in between times to save $$ for the next professional trip. What would you recommend? I need something super easy cuz I’m a clutz sometimes!

• Randy Schueller June 26, 2017, 7:05 am

There are a number of root touch up products on the market that use temporary color. Just Google “root touch up” and you should be able to find some.

• Viviane June 30, 2017, 6:44 pm

I have/had black hair. Just flat black hair: no highlights, no red tones, no nothing. Now, at 65, my hair is turning white; in fact, the entire front of my hair is white. My husband hates it. I tried dying it, but found that the semi-permanent color washed out in about 3 weeks, and the permanent dyes washed out in 4 weeks.
    So, since I want to try the JFM gradual hair color shampoo, will it eventually work for me? If so, about how long will it take? I ask because the back of my hair is still black, with very little white.