Which will protect my skin better from dehydration and irritation?

edited February 2014 in Ask the Beauty Brains
I have two moisturizers in my rotation: Cerave PM lotion, and Neutrogena oil free moisture sensitive skin.  Empirically, it seems that the Neutrogena actually moisturizes and protects better.  But I was curious what you might expect to be the case based on their ingredients.  Thanks, Sarah

Ingredients in Cerave PM lotion:
      Water (Purified), Glycerin, Capric/Caprylic Triglyceride, Niacinamide, Behentrimonium Methosulfate (and), Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth 20 (and), Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6 11, Ceramide 1, Phytosphingosine, Hyaluronic Acid, Cholesterol, Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl 3 Diisostearate, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum

Ingredients in Neutrogena Oil Free Moisture Sensitive Skin:

Comments

• It's not always possible to predict performance just by looking at the ingredients. But,  if I had to bet, I'd say the Neutrogena product would do a better job of moisturizing because of the higher level of dimethicone and the presence of petrolatum. 

• Thanks, Randy!  That confirms what I experience.